Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

I have seen AT500 series transmissions spend their whole service life in a bus without ever having a lick of problems. And I am talking about well in excess of 250,000 miles.

For low torque and low HP engines in school buses you couldn't ask for a better transmission. Since most school buses spend their life at 35 MPH or less you don't need a lock up torque convertor for speeds in excess of 50 MPH.

I will admit the AT500's behind gas engines were better matched than the AT500's behind diesel engines. The first time I went down hill with a Cummins 5.9L and AT543 I almost messed my pants. By the time I got to the bottom of the hill I had smoke coming out all for brakes. I had driven an IHC/Thomas Type 'C' for eight years on that route. It had an MV404 gas V-8 and AT540 and I used 2nd gear to go down that particular hill. It held back without any problem. New bus with diesel and the same transmission in 2nd gear felt like I was free wheeling. I learned that I had to go down the same hills in 1st instead of 2nd.

Once I learned the limitations it wasn't a problem.

If the choice was between two identical buses with the same engine with the only difference one had the AT540 and one had the MT640 I would go with the MT640.

But if your bus that you already own has the AT540 I wouldn't spend the time and $$$ changing anything. With proper care and maintenance (don't let it get hot, change the oil regularly, change the filter regularly, and don't let it get hot) it should last as long as anything else on your bus.

cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
With any automatic, you really need to run a tranny temp gauge if you want long life. Somewhere online Allison has a chart indicating transmission fluid life as it relates to temperature. It makes it clear pretty quickly that it can only take a few minutes to totally ruin both the fluid and the tranny if you let the temps get away from you. I'll see if I can find it again. Very informative.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
With any automatic, you really need to run a tranny temp gauge if you want long life. Somewhere online Allison has a chart indicating transmission fluid life as it relates to temperature. It makes it clear pretty quickly that it can only take a few minutes to totally ruin both the fluid and the tranny if you let the temps get away from you. I'll see if I can find it again. Very informative.
120% agree on temperature!!

AND thats one place where a Lockup transmission EXCELS.. an unlocked torque converter creates MEGA amounts of heat esp if you are "stalling" your transmission..

by that I mean you are lugging up a hill, foot to the floor.. (your diesel engine will run all day like that if its radiator is big enough).. but you are running your trans against its torque converter stall speed RPM..

its amazing how quickly your fluid temperature will soar... and once you over-temp your fluid.. its done.. change it ASAP! it has been destroyed.. (while the transmission may still be fine at this point.. runnign that once-overheated fluid in it will kill the transmission.. simply cooling the oil down does not 'un-destroy' it..)..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Well, I couldn't find the official Allison chart, but below is one that reads pretty much the same. The story is simple...to keep it working...keep it cool. And it does not take much time on a hill (especially with an older trans like a 545) to wreak havoc on an otherwise OK transmission. Synthetics hold up better at higher temps but you still need to stay on top of what the tranny is going through.

Hayden - Transmission and Engine Oil Coolers
Old 03-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #25
Bus Geek

do diesel busses do what the old gassers did, and just have a small cooling loop in the radiator downside?
-Christopher
Old 03-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Most larger rigs with automatics, whether gas or diesel, really need a substantial trans fluid cooler system to stay happy. Even then, a temp gauge is essential.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:29 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Most larger rigs with automatics, whether gas or diesel, really need a substantial trans fluid cooler system to stay happy. Even then, a temp gauge is essential.

I agree on both... even on my high performance cars i always put a cooler on...

im really surprised busses dont have a gauge.. heck even my silverado truck has one..
-Christopher
Old 03-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
We have a full size DT360 with an AT545. Our foot is always on the floor, unless we are stopping or going downhill. There is virtually no hold-back from the tranny downhill, no matter how low of a gear it's in. Pretty scary doing the 5000ft to -200ft elevation change in Death Valley. We take hills full throttle at a roaring 25mph (if that). It shifts pretty hard between 1st and 2nd, especially when coming to a stop, but I've heard that's common for this transmission. Going uphill we never have overheating issues as long as we keep the RPMs above 2000 or so. Normal highway RPM is 2700.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
I don't have my bus here yet Tango but what are the chances that it already has an xmission temp gauge for the MD3060 trans? It is safe to assume that if it does not already have one that the threaded opening is there (and plugged) just waiting for one to be installed?
Old 03-28-2016, 07:07 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post
We have a full size DT360 with an AT545. Our foot is always on the floor, unless we are stopping or going downhill. There is virtually no hold-back from the tranny downhill, no matter how low of a gear it's in. Pretty scary doing the 5000ft to -200ft elevation change in Death Valley. We take hills full throttle at a roaring 25mph (if that). It shifts pretty hard between 1st and 2nd, especially when coming to a stop, but I've heard that's common for this transmission. Going uphill we never have overheating issues as long as we keep the RPMs above 2000 or so. Normal highway RPM is 2700.
That sounds like my experience with the 545, although I didn't drive mine across the country like you two did.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #31
Bus Geek

No idea on the 3060. Gauges and such are generally speced by the chassis builders anyway. You need to locate the temp gauge sender where the fluid exits the tranny. That is the only temp that matters. And there are dozens of aftermarket coolers available. From inline units to massive radiator sized monsters. Whatever the route, the temp gauge needs eyeballs on it to be of any benefit. And when used right, will add many, many years of service life to both the fluid and the trans.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:35 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Chassis: 3600
Engine: dt408
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post
So how you take mountains hills at 25mph in the 545?
BrandinoBeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:44 AM   #33
Bus Geek

I did mountains at 25 in my Superior and still got the trans *HOT*! (over 300).. to do it is easy you drop the T handle into 2 (or 3 if your bus is low rear gear).. and drive.. 2nd gear gives you much better engine braking than 3 but you'll run the RPMs higher.. higher RPMs are actually Better for the 545 that really doesnt make full line pressure till its over about 2200 RPM ..

same way going down... the lowest gear it will allow you to run it in and not upshift or over rev your engine..
Old 08-22-2022, 10:05 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Chassis: 3600
Engine: dt408
Okay, yeah I’m looking for a better rear end ratio! Than what I have now. I have a 5.38 right now ��
BrandinoBeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 02:49 PM   #35
Bus Geek

a 5.38 is easier on your transmission than a taller (lower number)...

the lower ratio gives you less top speed but is easier on the transmission and gives you more resistance on downhills...

a Taller (lower number) gives you a potentially higher top speed but works your transmission harder esp climbing Hills... the harder you work the transmission the more heat it makes..

if your conversion is heavy (full length and lots of stuff maybe even towing a car).. then at the very l;east you need an aux trans cooler and will have to take it very easy unless you want to ruin the trans.. its not designed for carrying heavy loads at high speeds on long haul..

its a great school bus transmission for stop n go traffic and in town use..