Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Is there a 'common problems' thread?

I've been absorbing like a sponge, and searching this forum for about two weeks...lots of great info! I have found in generalities which drive trains are desirable, and which are not (e.g. Cat's are expensive to maintain b/c of proprietary parts), and as a general rule, look for rust, DOT codes on tires, etc.

But what I've been looking for, and haven't been able to find, are such nuggets that you would find one level deeper, especially for someone who has never driven a bus, or wrenched on one. Such as, how can you tell if the trans is shifting properly? Any quirky noises on a diesel we should listen for? What are common problems on a Cummins 5.9's? What are particularly rust prone areas that you need to look for? That kind of thing...

Compared to other forums, I don't see a whole lot posted in the mechanical section...so take that as a good sign! Most other automotive forums I use typically have a detailed 'what to look for' thread that is nuanced towards the specific make and model (or in this case most likely the drive train). If one exists, and you can point me toward it, that would be helpful...if not, maybe folks can reply to this thread, and who knows - maybe it could be made into a sticky.

mhobryan is offline   Reply With Quote