Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Leaky oil pan?

Hi all
How hard or expensive is it to fix or replace a leaky oil pan? 95 carpenter (international/allison) listed says there is a small leak in the oil pan.

Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: Leaky oil pan?

you would have to remove the oil pan to fix if its the gasket.This may require jacking up the engine for clearance,depending on the crossmember height,etc.Not seeing the bus i would guess 4 hours ,but to be sure i would call the bus mech and ask him.Dont think it would be a big thing.
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Can you be a little more specific about what we're working with here? Medium duty trucks tend to have a lot of room.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Not sure if this helps:

Manufacturer International/Navistar
Make International
Model Year 1995
Model 3800
Engine Manufacturer International/Navistar
Engine Series T444
Engine Capacity V-8, 7.3L (444CID)
Fuel Type Diesel
Vehicle Type Blue Bird School Bus
Chassis 4X2 FBC Chassis
Drive Line Type 4x2
Brake System Hydraulic
GVWR Class 26,001 - 33,000lbs.
Country US Produced Incomplete Bus
Assy. Plant Springfield, Ohio
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:20 PM   #5

Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Engine: 1997 T444E A/T: Allison AT545
Oil Pan Gasket issues

Hi,

I'm very late to this party as it seems the original post was 12 years ago. That said, I have this issue on a '97 T444E in a '98 International 3800, so ended up here. Figured I'd document my findings to help others.

We bought a bus. Interior is pretty well done. Includes a 10 KWh solar system on roof. Had a mechanic look at it beforehand to determine why it was leaking. He thought it was the oil cooler, or oil filter mount, which are easy to replace. That said, it's not the oil cooler, or filter, but the oil pan..

I've done quite a bit of digging. I found multiple forums (Powerstoke) that state the only way to do this is to pull the engine as you can't get to the bolts on the front of the pan due to a cross member. I found a "fair" video on youtube where they are replacing it on a 1999 4700 box truck that has been helpful. First issue is removing that cross member.
See:

I found two other forums that say you can do it, in the vehicle, but it will take around 20 hours.

I've worked as an automotive engineer for the past 17 years. I've rebuilt engines and transmissions, plus have commissioned diesels in new new vehicle builds. Anyway, I 'm not afraid of mechanic work. That said, this one looks like a hot mess. From what I'm currently seeing it appears I will have to remove the steering box to get to the left front cross member bolts. Any suggestions/ideas would be welcomed.

BTW, am planning on putting a Moroso #27293 Oil Pan gasket on it once I get it off, instead of using RTV as recommended by Navistar. It's pricey at approximately $100/set, but seems pretty worthwhile if it'll fix it--especially if it takes 20 hours to change it when it's in the bus. Looks like it should seal it once and for all! See:

Will keep forum posted on how things come out.
Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote