Old 04-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Lowest cost of ownership

I know that diesels are heavy and expensive but has anyone considered which ones are cheapest to maintain and rebuild? I ask this because I just found out that the fuel pump on the c8.3 is $2,700 to $3,000!!! Any advice or insight?
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Pre electronic engines will be cheaper to maintain.

Any bus that was properly maintained and cared for will be cheaper to maintain.

Injection pumps aren't cheap. Luckily, they aren't a common component to replace either.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Is an injection pump the most expensive part of the engine - outside of the block and interior parts?
Old 04-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
I would say dare to say yes, the IP is likely one of the highest cost items to replace. Other than internal parts, Next in cost would likely be the injectors or turbo.. it's definitely gonna very engine to engine. Another thing to consider is the transmission and the cost of replacing a set of old tires on a bus.. which could be a few grand for decent rubber�� that was a lesson I had to learn the hard way.
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I had to have the injection pump on my pickup. It was almost $3k. I would agree that it is one of the single most expensive pieces to replace.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If $5000 repair bills scare you do not buy a bus.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If $5000 repair bills scare you do not buy a bus.
That seems like sound advice. As I build my plan and count the costs, I also consider the option of doing a rebuild of the engine and tranny upfront - atleast $15K, or just driving the vehicle and repairing things as they break down. When I priced the older , pre 2000 engines, the prices were much lower than the newer ones. The injectors for the 8.3 were cheaper than injectors for other engines of the same era.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:23 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
That seems like sound advice. As I build my plan and count the costs, I also consider the option of doing a rebuild of the engine and tranny upfront - atleast $15K, or just driving the vehicle and repairing things as they break down. When I priced the older , pre 2000 engines, the prices were much lower than the newer ones. The injectors for the 8.3 were cheaper than injectors for other engines of the same era.
I don't mean to *scare* anyone. But its a friendly reminder that the bus game costs real money to play.
SO MANY folks buy a bus and just get in it and go. Many of them get really bummed the first time something breaks and costs more than the bus.
I had a bus that I was looking at putting at least 5 grand into. I ended up going the easy route and just getting a different bus.

An 8.3 is about as good as it gets.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
Skoolie

Idk because Iím still new at the bus thing, but I have a t444e and it seems pretty reasonable to repair/replace the entire drivetrain. There are a bunch of donor buses/vehicles out there with the samish drivetrain components. Hopefully Chris or someone more knowledgeable will chime in because Iím interested in their take on this topic.
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue1bus View Post
Idk because Iím still new at the bus thing, but I have a t444e and it seems pretty reasonable to repair/replace the entire drivetrain. There are a bunch of donor buses/vehicles out there with the samish drivetrain components. Hopefully Chris or someone more knowledgeable will chime in because Iím interested in their take on this topic.
I was just checking prices on used t444e's this afternoon - a decent used CORE sells for $1000 US - I have no idea what a complete rebuild of a core would cost because I stopped looking at $1000 for a core
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote