Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
Maintenance

I am not an expert in mechanicking. I've changed the oil, a fuel pump, a few tires, and some fuses and relays in cars in my life but nothing bigger than that. So far, I've kept an eye on all the fluids and added grease to all the fittings under the bus.

I'm going to set up an appointment at my local Army Auto Skills Center to do some work on the bus. I can rent an indoor bay and use all their tools, etc. and pay one of their mechanics to help where needed.

1. Glow plugs - I bought new ones. Bus won't start in temps below 30 degrees and I live in North Pole, Alaska
2. Winterization - block heater, oil pan heater, battery blanket, battery maintainer
3. Oil change (all markings have been rubbed off the filter - how do I figure out which one to get?)
4. Air filter
5. Coolant adjusted to handle -60 degrees
6. Transmission temperature gauge and sensor (the sensor/idiot light in the bus doesn't work)

What else should I do?
1. Air brakes service?
2. Other fluid changes?
3. Repack wheel bearings?

Somewhere down the road, I also want to add a second transmission cooler for summer driving in the mountains, but not today.

1998 Amtran RE on International chassis with T444e engine and AT545 transmission.

Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote