Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2022, 09:45 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Ok, so another gremlin found and exterminated !

I fixed the problem! Got drive and reverse to work again!!!!

Solution - another broken wire found "INSIDE" the deutsch connector!

So after a week of studying the troubleshooting manual diagrams I went ahead and created my own diagram for testing purposes. What I have learned and identified is the wiring colors, wire position numbers and their functions.

Mine is a WTEC3, single digit display.
What I did and the simple way to tone the wired out, by yourself, is to jumper the wires on the female connector right at the push pad itself, or should I say the female connector of the wire from the push pad to the transmission, not the tcu.
I used a thin paper clip for a jumper. Then i went under the bus, to the tranny connector, and tested for continuity.

The WTEC3 uses 5 control wires, 3 power wires and also a general output wire.

My hand drawn diagram will show you which wires are what and where they are located.
So I started by jumping Blue and Yellow, testing at the tranny connector, good continuity.

Then I went to Green and Orange, no continuity!

I tested the other wires using the same method and found the Green wire to be open at the connector. spliced the wire outside the connector, bus now goes into gear !!!

The connector at the tranny, look under your bus on the driver side (RE BUS) and you will see on fat cable that enters the transmission housing and about 6 inches away there will be a Deutsch connector there mounted to a bracket. that is not the connector!

If you follow the cable it will go into a "Y" and right there it will branch off to another Deutsch connector. That's the one!

To confirm, the other end of the cable will go to the front of the bus to the push pad.

It still won't go into diagnostic mode but that's a challenge for another day!

It's as simple as that !

Dang Ewo, keep fighting this beast.. this will be helpful to other with wiring issues. I was just thinking about all this stuff as I unplugged my TCM, ECU and Abs boxes the other to weld on my bus. So many wires buried in these harnesses. Hope they last forever.. wonder if the Allison 2500 had this many wires and control boxes.. kind of wish I had an mt643 and p pump now..

fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:28 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
Dang Ewo, keep fighting this beast.. this will be helpful to other with wiring issues. I was just thinking about all this stuff as I unplugged my TCM, ECU and Abs boxes the other to weld on my bus. So many wires buried in these harnesses. Hope they last forever.. wonder if the Allison 2500 had this many wires and control boxes.. kind of wish I had an mt643 and p pump now..
Yeah, it was getting a bit depressive, wondering what the heck went wrong, was I gonna need a new TCU..???

Since you asked I took a look at the wiring diagram for the 1000/2000 series trannies, looks much easier! No push pad, cable and extra connectors to worry about.

Here's the diagram..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Full TCM wiring pin out 1000 & 2000.pdf (219.7 KB, 5 views)
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:51 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
I know this was an extremely old thread - but the explanations and diagrams were super helpful in fighting the same "dark shift panel" issue on one of my '05 IC RE300 party buses with MD3060. Throwing code 23-12 "Primary Shift Selector or RSI Link Fault"

In my case I was fortunate enough to have a twin bus to test known good TCM/ECM and shift selector to help eliminate dead modules. Starting to look like a bad wire in "S" harness somewhere. I've got +5v on N and a fluctuating/dropping 2-5V on R. 0 ohm resistence on ground P. I can't find any wire or terminal damage so maybe just the connectors in my case.

Did any of you working this issue try replacing the harness altogether or just fix the individual wires? OnCommand hasn't been super helpful with part numbers... I think maybe its 456016001 but hard to tell based off description "Harness, Electrical Transmission" with no diagram or photos
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:16 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
I know this was an extremely old thread - but the explanations and diagrams were super helpful in fighting the same "dark shift panel" issue on one of my '05 IC RE300 party buses with MD3060. Throwing code 23-12 "Primary Shift Selector or RSI Link Fault"

In my case I was fortunate enough to have a twin bus to test known good TCM/ECM and shift selector to help eliminate dead modules. Starting to look like a bad wire in "S" harness somewhere. I've got +5v on N and a fluctuating/dropping 2-5V on R. 0 ohm resistence on ground P. I can't find any wire or terminal damage so maybe just the connectors in my case.

Did any of you working this issue try replacing the harness altogether or just fix the individual wires? OnCommand hasn't been super helpful with part numbers... I think maybe its 456016001 but hard to tell based off description "Harness, Electrical Transmission" with no diagram or photos
Twice so far I fixed the individual wires.
From what I have learned so far, there are three segments of the cable.
Segment #1) is the key pad and it short tail.
Segment #2) is the cable that connects to the push pad and goes back to the tranny.
Segment #3) goes from the tranny to the TCM.

I found it real easy to test segment #2) by simply shorting two wires on one end (pushpad) with a small paper clip.
If you use three paper clips you can test 6 wires at once.
At the transmission end, disconnect the plug, put your meter to ohms and check for continuity.

This is best done with an analog meter and not a digital but a digital will work just fine.

An analog meter is better for testing wires that are slightly corroded and would cause a condition recognized as a “high open”. Some current will flow but it will be weak and distorted. A digital meter cannot detect this as well as an analog. You could use a cheap harbor freight analog meter, this is not rocket science.

If you have good clean continuity from the tranny to the bush pad and find all is good, then test from the tranny to the TCM connector.

Please don’t forget to disconnect the TCM fuse and batteries so you don’t accidentally short something out.

Both my wires were rotted out at the connector itself. I simply cut it out and placed a jumper, no more connector. If I ever need granny removal, I will replace the connector then, not now.

If you need more info I would be happy to help best I can.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
Throwing code 23-12 "Primary Shift Selector or RSI Link Fault"

I've got +5v on N and a fluctuating/dropping 2-5V on R. 0 ohm resistence on ground P. I can't find any wire or terminal damage so maybe just the connectors in my case.

I sent you my number via PM, give me a call I would be happy to walk you thru this.

Please go back to posts #16 and 20. Take a look at the docs uploaded there. I can't stress enough the need for physically testing continuity on the "Black" cable of the TCM. This is the cable that goes back to the push pad. If there is any continuity issues on this segment of the cable the system as a whole may not work or work erratically.

Forget about Allison doc until you first can verify the integrity of that black cable. If there is no communication cable present (or damaged) then Allison doc will not be able to communicate.

Most problems are in the connectors themselves. they rust/corrode out inside the connector so you can't do a simple visual test as you cannot see inside the connector. You MUST to a physical continuity test. It is quite simple to do!

Once you verify that this segment is good then you can be assured that the communication from the keypad to the TCM is sound.

I am not an expert but so far from what I have learned I have fixed 2 trans (cable ) issues on my busses and one on another bus that I helped get going again. All three issues were a simple poor connection. Finding that bad connection, well that the fun part!
Old 09-09-2022, 10:28 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Those networks run on J1939 which is a subset of RS485, RS485 is a serial data interface and as such it is very prone to electrical fluctuations / interference.. poor connections will knock a J1939 interface on its ass in a heartbeat…
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote