Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 05:38 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

My Bus is Sinking on One Side

Is this normal? My 1977 AMG has a kneeling feature that lowers it until its basically touch the ground so people can get on more easily and the whole this is controlled by air. The guy I got her from says she lets out air when she's off and changes stance. Recommended jacks at each wheel all set to the same height to keep her level (which I will be ordering today).

I didn't realized he meant at night she sinks down only on the right side and that, that side is nearly touching the ground (about an inch, maybe two from doing so actually). The other side is up almost half a foot, even on the even ground I just moved her to yesterday. I still woke up to the Leaning Tower of Pisa this morning. I'm a little worried the air system is being strained by this, not to mention the frame. Is it normal? Is it because the air is shrinking in the cold? Why only one side? I might just be being neurotic, but it doesn't seem normal to me.

This is what she looks like this morning:

Update: Just went inside the bus and I can hear air hissing. Not sure if she's just not done sinking or what, but it was not hissing yesterday.

Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Air ride...
It likely has a leak on that side.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I'll go with EastCoast's analysis...a leak somewhere in the air system on that side.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Did buses that old have the kneeling function?
Old 10-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Oh goodie haha. Well maybe I can kneel her then turn her off until I can get her looked at...

Any ideas on where I might find a mechanic who works with air ride? I'm not even sure our school buses do, so I'm not really sure where to start looking.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Air systems aren't terribly complicated if you're willing to put in the time to fix em yourself you'd save a ton.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Totally willing to put the time in, just don't have a clue what I'm doing, heheh.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Tracking down an air leak may be time consuming but not terribly difficult to locate or repair. But, whatever else you do, don't go climbing around under the bus without secure blocks or something like jackstands in place.

Like a leaky tire, some soapy water should help find the offending spot. Most likely at or near a joint, but can also occur anywhere the lines are rubbing against something.

Good luck with it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie View Post

I see you went dirt track racing with her....... Hey! They're making another left turn! (notice the outside bleacher seats AND the infield garage)
Old 10-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Youre definitely not doing any damage to it letting it sit slanted. The air suspension is built to undulate and tilt. You just have a leak in it. You probably always will since you have a 40 year old air system. Something will always be leaking until you replace everything! Seriously...ive spent close to 2 grand fixing the air system on an MCI MC9 and it will still air down after a week or so.

If it's a big leak, definitely find it and fix. Otherwise, either prepare to really get into the air system or find another way to level the bus when parked. Just trying to give you a realistic expectation here and save you spending tons of money on something that might never be totally fixed. That suspension is meant to always be fed by a compressor.
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

@M1031A1 Heheh, those would be chairs by the fire pit and a less than insulated barn ;)

And thank you guys. Any suggestions for a crank/jackstand that would hold the weight of the bus to put by each wheel. I'll be putting a good deal of weight in water on the bus, so I'm not opposed to 20 ton capacity at each wheel. I'm looking/hoping for is something that can be attached to the bus at the four corners and tucked under while driving, but cranked down to the same level to keep the bus even when I stop. I may be asking too much, but it must be out there somewhere xD
Old 10-19-2015, 10:37 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
To find the air leak a short length of hose held to your ear will give you a more
focused pickup of sound and let you locate the leak better. Once located you can
spray the leak with soap bubbles if the leak is not readily apparent from the sound.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:52 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Brie,

I figured you could use a good laugh. Thought I'd put a little Jeff Dunham in there for ya. But if I remember I could have read where someone did put retractable stands at the corners of their bus. It wasn't for an air leak , but to level the bus. I could be wrong (heck ask my wife about me being wrong.........).
Old 10-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Jeff Dun-HAM!!!

Heheh, and thanks. I'll look into it