Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Brakes can be upgraded

Brakes can be upgraded to any need. Your bus must have the same brakes as a standard 1 ton with discs in front and drums in the rear. The front discs can be changed to larger discs and the pads upgraded to hi performance. The discs can be modified to grooved and lightened.
The rear drum brakes can be upgraded to disc brakes. Then the discs can be increased to larger discs. The master cylinder would need to be changed because of the fluid volume in the rear disc brakes. With brakes, bigger is better. A Dana 70 rear axle assembly has big brakes
and some gears that will not break. A new set of gears may be needed for better MPG. Frank

frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: My bus weight - freaking out

See your other thread. Don't go swapping brake parts haphazardly. There is a lot of calculating that needs to go into it.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
Bus Geek

I have to ask

What have you put in a shorty bus that is 5000+ lbs? (this is based on a guess of 7000 lb stripped with fuel)

With all the crap in my full size bus I am not even at a 4th of that wt

Have you actually had it weighed?

What was front and back?

Just curious because that is alot of added wt
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Bus Geek

The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer[1] including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.[2] The term is used for motor vehicles and trains.

The weight of a vehicle is influenced by passengers, cargo, even fuel level, so a number of terms are used to express the weight of a vehicle in a designated state. Gross combined weight rating refers to the total mass of a vehicle, including all trailers. GVWR and GCWR both describe a vehicle that is in operation and are used to specify weight limitations and restrictions. Curb weight describes a vehicle which is "parked at the curb" and excludes the weight of any occupants or cargo. Dry weight further excludes the weight of all consumables, such as fuel and oils. Gross trailer weight rating specifies the maximum weight of a trailer and the gross axle weight rating specifies the maximum weight on any particular axle.
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #5

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Squeaking brakes only mean that your brakes are squeaking. Grinding is another story and something to worry about. Get that out of the way first so you can stop freaking out. Take it to the mechanic and have them check the brake linings. Make sure the person that did your brake job put the gooey crap on the back of the pads. Don't know if you can do anything about the drums if they are the problem. My mechanic will say I have 50% or 30% left so I have an idea what needs to be done. Unless you drive the bus a lot I can't imagine you have less than 80% left. When you do change brakes, don't get the cheapest pads and shoes. For me, it's not worth the tradeoff. Buy quality.

GVWR and GCVW has been explained. The reason it's at 10k pounds is many states really screw you in the behind after 10K. At least they do in California. That's why you register as a motorhome to avoid the hassle. These numbers are just ratings. If you are a little over, it's no big deal. If you are a bunch over, it IS a big deal. What do you think when you see an idiot driving a mini pickup down the road with 3 tons of broken concrete in the back? I hope he doesn't kill SOMEONE ELSE because of his stupidity. I could care less about the driver as long as he's not behind me.

Hope this helps some.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Skoolie

squealing brakes does not mean that the bus is too heavy. Are they drum brakes? They might need to be adjusted, that could be the problem. When where the brake done last? rust and water can make them squeal also.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Do some panic stops, and see how quick it slows. Generally, with properly bled hydraulic brakes, if the fluid level is OK, but the bakes don't bite, the master cylinder is shot.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

Speaking of brakes what is the cost for a good pair of brake pads for a bus? Mine are only 30% gone and since I only drive it 1,000 miles a year I should have it forever, but I was always curious. I figured $100 a pad.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

That would depend ENTIRELY on the chassis, brake size, etc. You might be surprised to find out that they aren't TOO terrible. Just deal with someone knowledgeable. I've dealt with these guys many times and they are VERY good. You should be able to find something local that is similar. http://www.brakeandequipment.com/