Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #81
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You can have the 6.0's. I know guys who's businesses were hurt by those engines.

When the foreman at the IC dealer candidly warns not to buy their post 2004 stuff, I take that as a sign they're trouble. He said they're always busy fixing Maxxforce and 6.0's. They certainly were when I was over there.

some of each I guess as the couple I know keeps Box-Truckin across the USA at over 400k on one and close to 350 on the other

theres bad ones and good ones.. my older brother swears by his subaru.. yours has big issues...

its like anything out there.. seems to be a crap shoot these days

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #82
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
some of each I guess as the couple I know keeps Box-Truckin across the USA at over 400k on one and close to 350 on the other

theres bad ones and good ones.. my older brother swears by his subaru.. yours has big issues...

What do you guys think of the short buses ? I saw a few shortie conversions here and they seem nice and light and easy to move around.

Found this one on the surplus.

https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...ew?auc=2144729

Whats good in the short skoolies and whats bad ?
If I go this way, should I steer away from gas engines and what are the pros/cons of the 4 or 5 window ones.

Thanks again. Time is coming short and I would have to make a decision pretty soon.
madhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #83
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
parts might be a bit tough to get for the 6.9 INI, its a Non turbo diesel and not gonna be a power house..

Awesone classic S-series bus though!!

as for van cutaways, the more modern gas 5.7s and 6.0(chevy gas) are great engines.. say in that 01-03 range or so i see some pretty decent ones.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #84
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
parts might be a bit tough to get for the 6.9 INI, its a Non turbo diesel and not gonna be a power house..

Awesone classic S-series bus though!!

as for van cutaways, the more modern gas 5.7s and 6.0(chevy gas) are great engines.. say in that 01-03 range or so i see some pretty decent ones.

-Christopher

I found a 4 window dual ac super rare desert skoolie with the 7.3 diesel and auto trans. Not sure which one is it.
https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/cto/d/school-bus/6638541552.html
madhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #85
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

Its not even just the design, the manufacturing quality from navistar nosedives after the late 90's and up until they quit and started putting Cummins in their trucks to sell em for a few more years.

My subaru isn't built like my granny's old GL wagon. Its made of crap. The manufacturing quality just isn't there.
My 13 XV bought new and maintained like an aircraft burns a quart of oil in 1000 miles. The transmission is dying slowly. And that's sad as its a MANUAL! Never had a stick shift tranny die before. Certainly didn't expect it from the grocery getter.

Ahhhhh can't wait to get my old school, SIMPLE 66 Beetle back on the road. Its happening!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:50 PM   #86
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Just a note on Subaru, I learned to drive on one in the seventies . Nice car to drive, but could not keep engines in them . My Dad had a number of them over the years and not one made 100,000 miles on tbe original engine.

Yea I know not bus related
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:07 PM   #87
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Just a note on Subaru, I learned to drive on one in the seventies . Nice car to drive, but could not keep engines in them . My Dad had a number of them over the years and not one made 100,000 miles on tbe original engine.

Yea I know not bus related
I probably drove all your Subaru's if they were early 70-71. My mom worked for Subaru of New England, the east coast importer for Subi in the 70's. They paid me a $1 a car to wash them before being loaded and sent to the dealers, I would just throw a dealer tag on them and drive a half block to the $.50 auto car wash and back.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:38 AM   #88
Bus Crazy

Yup his first one was a 71. The 76 is what I learned on and my brother used in his collage years. It stayed in the family a long time. At least two engine replacements, and constant brake work. Now must say Dad's maintenance plan has always fix it when it breaks, and buy the cheapest oil possible, and the cheapest parts.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:45 AM   #89
Bus Crazy

no sure what to say about the desert skoolie on craigslist looks nice something about it feels right. Is it close enough to go test drive?

On the public auction international, I agree with Cadilackid the 6.9 is not a power house, and at 280,000 miles that is getting up there, think it would be best for you to take a pass on that one.