Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
New gas gauge?

Sooo how hard is to put in a new gas guage? I'm looking at an international this week that has a bad gas guage. Is this a job someone with instructions can do or would I need a mechanic?

Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26
Re: New gas gauge?

It all depends upon what kind of problem the bus has. If the issue is with the in-tank pump or sending unit, then you'll need to drop the fuel tank, but if the problem is electrical, or in the dash, then the solution is different. How to repair it depends upon your skill level. I can do any part of the problem myself. I have an issue with the sending unit in my M1009 daily driver, just not the money I need to fix it.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Test the gas gauge

Gas gages work by the sending unit resistance. There are about 5 different resistance values. To be assured the sending unit is defective, ground the wire. If the drivers fuel gage indicates full, the sender could be defective. The sender can usually be removed from the tank without removing tank. After removing the sender, check unit carefully and connect to a multimeter to discover any fault. In most cases the unit can be repaired. If unit must be replaced, try to select a fuel gage with no moving parts. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote