Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,727
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
New tires and Nitrogen :)

Hey Everyone,

I recently had new tires put on one of my rigs. The gent at the tire store recommended that I have my tires filled with Nitrogen for an extra $60.

I told him that I preferred running 80% Nitrogen and 20% Oxygen.

He responded that special equipment was required to do that and they were not equipped to fill my tires with 80% Nitrogen and 20% Oxygen.

I am looking for a new tire shop

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
banman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 361
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Hey Everyone,

I recently had new tires put on one of my rigs. The gent at the tire store recommended that I have my tires filled with Nitrogen for an extra $60.

I told him that I preferred running 80% Nitrogen and 20% Oxygen.

He responded that special equipment was required to do that and they were not equipped to fill my tires with 80% Nitrogen and 20% Oxygen.

I am looking for a new tire shop

That's pretty funny...

There are advantages to using Nitrogen but...

I'm spoiled -- we have a Nitrogen cart at work for that...

Oh looky here -- govsurplus IS good for more than buses!
https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/S...55-01-463-3338
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #3
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 2,647
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
60 bucks that's a steal! I'm sad at how many ways uneducated consumers get ripped off just for not knowing better. Don't get me started on premium unleaded!
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 12,205
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I just put air in my tires.. and do this thing called a good ole fashioned Pre-Trip before a good sized ride and adjust for changing climate as i travel..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,473
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

I told him that I preferred running 80% Nitrogen and 20% Oxygen.

He responded that special equipment was required to do that and they were not equipped to fill my tires with 80% Nitrogen and 20% Oxygen.
Sorry, we can't supply you with any solid dihydrogen monoxide - you need special equipment for that.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 235
Coachwork: In the market
What's wrong with premium unleaded?!? LOL I know when I got tires on my Wrangler they were always trying to push me to go nitrogen knowing full well I offloaded and aired down so I'd have to keep paying to get topped up. They must have thought I was an average dumb customer but I think as far as dumb customers go I'm well above average!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,293
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
60 bucks that's a steal! I'm sad at how many ways uneducated consumers get ripped off just for not knowing better. Don't get me started on premium unleaded!
Premium is a necessity- if your compression ratio calls for it.
GM liked building cars that took high octane. Only two years of Miata take 87.
Is high octane as bad as seafoam?
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
Almost There
 
Truthseeker4449's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 81
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Premium is a necessity- if your compression ratio calls for it.
GM liked building cars that took high octane. Only two years of Miata take 87.
Is high octane as bad as seafoam?
Or Ford couldn't program your ECM right and it bugs out and requires premium to not knock all the time and now the ECMs are no longer made at all so you're stuck with it. Too bad there was a bulletin in 95 for free ECM replacement that the original owner never got done.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 2,647
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Premium became a marketing thing and convinced millions of driver's that it is "better" fuel, rather than just being higher octane. The same marketing team also convinced people that high octane is better than low octane in engines that don't need it, and again that it helps keep your engine cleaner despite having the same detergent blend.

Seafoam, now that stuff you just pour right into your battery and is good for 10 horsepower. Works great on hybrids too, just dump it right into a nearby creek or stream.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
Bus Nut
 
banman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 361
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Premium is a necessity- if your compression ratio calls for it.
GM liked building cars that took high octane. Only two years of Miata take 87.
Is high octane as bad as seafoam?
Exactly. High octane has a purpose -- must of us don't need it but some engines are wound so tight they do.

Seafoam is just a ridiculously expensive way to buy kerosene/naptha -- straight up snake oil marketing... the MSDS tells the tale...

If you have super expensive tires and new wheels then the benefit of nitrogen is that it contains no moisture and no O2 thus minimal chance of corrosion. Ni is also more temperature stable so correct pressures stay correct longer = less maintenance.
Working on C-130's you can imagine where tire strength and pressure stability are important...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #11
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,727
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Sorry, we can't supply you with any solid dihydrogen monoxide - you need special equipment for that.
Be careful with that stuff!

At a certain temperature it transitions to a very dangerous liquid that kills hundreds of children every year!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,293
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
Or Ford couldn't program your ECM right and it bugs out and requires premium to not knock all the time and now the ECMs are no longer made at all so you're stuck with it. Too bad there was a bulletin in 95 for free ECM replacement that the original owner never got done.
Don't you love how manufacturers do that?
Owners have to stay up on the tsb's. The dealer often will go out of their way to not let you know there's a tsb for your vehicle!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #13
Bus Crazy
 
ol trunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,461
Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
"At a certain temperature it transitions to a very dangerous liquid that kills hundreds of children every year!"

Only in India--oh wait, that was antifreeze.

By the way, the atmosphere is 78% nitrogen right out of the sky.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:59 PM   #14
Bus Nut
 
PatrickBaptist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Johnson City TN
Posts: 349
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Premium became a marketing thing and convinced millions of driver's that it is "better" fuel, rather than just being higher octane. The same marketing team also convinced people that high octane is better than low octane in engines that don't need it, and again that it helps keep your engine cleaner despite having the same detergent blend.

Seafoam, now that stuff you just pour right into your battery and is good for 10 horsepower. Works great on hybrids too, just dump it right into a nearby creek or stream.

HAHAHAHA Seafoam, now that stuff you just pour right into your battery and is good for 10 horsepower. Works great on hybrids too, just dump it right into a nearby creek or stream.
__________________
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×