Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 100
Picking a bus.

I don't know where to ask my questions so I thought a thread with the name like this one would be a good start...

I'm contemplating short buses (20people) and I know nothing of the reliability of american made engines. Most short buses around my area are Ford or GM (MBII platforms I think: http://www.autobusthomas.com/vehicul...sting&lid=1391 and http://www.autobusthomas.com/vehicul...sting&lid=1385)

I'm just looking for reliability and diesel (for MPGs...).

I know most of you will suggest lurking and reading, but most of you use abreviations that I never saw so I'm back at square one.

Where do I start to pick something reliable? What kind of signs should I look for in a (too) used tranmission, etc... ?
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblah View Post
I don't know where to ask my questions so I thought a thread with the name like this one would be a good start...

I'm contemplating short buses (20people) and I know nothing of the reliability of american made engines. Most short buses around my area are Ford or GM (MBII platforms I think: http://www.autobusthomas.com/vehicul...sting&lid=1391 and http://www.autobusthomas.com/vehicul...sting&lid=1385)

I'm just looking for reliability and diesel (for MPGs...).

I know most of you will suggest lurking and reading, but most of you use abreviations that I never saw so I'm back at square one.

Where do I start to pick something reliable? What kind of signs should I look for in a (too) used tranmission, etc... ?

That is 20 kids not 20 adults.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,157
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Of those two, the GM is the one I'd get. The 6.0 Ford engine doesn't have many friends.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 100
The GM one seemed like the better option too. It seems it comes with heavier duty drivetrain...

And kids are people too, but I get what you mean! ;)

Any transmission option I should look for or avoid?
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,157
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
IIRC, Cowlitzcoach said the GM transmissions hold up better than the Fords, so that may be a double win for the GMC.

I'd rather fix a GMC than a Ford, I know that much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Ford hater. But the late model Fords seem to be more problematic than their bowtie competitors.

Others may disagree...
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblah View Post
The GM one seemed like the better option too. It seems it comes with heavier duty drivetrain...

And kids are people too, but I get what you mean! ;)

Any transmission option I should look for or avoid?

Are you buying the bus to transport 20 eight year old children?
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:45 PM   #7
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Are you buying the bus to transport 20 eight year old children?
ha! Not at all! I'm looking at those type of buses for a conversion. I mentioned the passenger capacity as a reference to the bus's size, not my intended use!

Sorry if I wasn't clear!

EDIT: Thanks for the thread split!
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:47 AM   #8
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
I owned a Ford like the first one. It was made for Bluebird by a Canadian company. Mine was a 2000 with a 7.3 Power Stroke and it hauled ass. That is the low roof model. I am 5'8" and had to bend my knees so I wouldn't be touching the ceiling. It is bigger than a van but not by a whole lot. Don't think that you will have plenty of room to stretch out. You better look at them in person before you buy yourself a disappointment.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:49 AM   #9
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Girardin is the name I think.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #10
Bus Crazy
 
M1031A1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Russell, Kansas
Posts: 1,124
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Of those two, the GM is the one I'd get. The 6.0 Ford engine doesn't have many friends.
Put a Bullet Proof Diesel Engine Kit on it (from Arizona) and there are people like me that ADORE the 6.0L! It changes how the oil and coolant are cooled and protects the oil pump from overheating. LOVE the kit, ADORE the engine! If it's the Ford, put the Kit on, relax, and enjoy the ride!
__________________
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. — George Washington
M1031A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.