Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
Skoolie

Picking a bus.

I don't know where to ask my questions so I thought a thread with the name like this one would be a good start...

I'm contemplating short buses (20people) and I know nothing of the reliability of american made engines. Most short buses around my area are Ford or GM (MBII platforms I think: http://www.autobusthomas.com/vehicul...sting&lid=1391 and http://www.autobusthomas.com/vehicul...sting&lid=1385)

I'm just looking for reliability and diesel (for MPGs...).

I know most of you will suggest lurking and reading, but most of you use abreviations that I never saw so I'm back at square one.

Where do I start to pick something reliable? What kind of signs should I look for in a (too) used tranmission, etc... ?

mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblah View Post
I don't know where to ask my questions so I thought a thread with the name like this one would be a good start...

I'm contemplating short buses (20people) and I know nothing of the reliability of american made engines. Most short buses around my area are Ford or GM (MBII platforms I think: http://www.autobusthomas.com/vehicul...sting&lid=1391 and http://www.autobusthomas.com/vehicul...sting&lid=1385)

I'm just looking for reliability and diesel (for MPGs...).

I know most of you will suggest lurking and reading, but most of you use abreviations that I never saw so I'm back at square one.

Where do I start to pick something reliable? What kind of signs should I look for in a (too) used tranmission, etc... ?

That is 20 kids not 20 adults.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Of those two, the GM is the one I'd get. The 6.0 Ford engine doesn't have many friends.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Skoolie

The GM one seemed like the better option too. It seems it comes with heavier duty drivetrain...

And kids are people too, but I get what you mean! ;)

Any transmission option I should look for or avoid?
Old 08-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
Bus Geek

IIRC, Cowlitzcoach said the GM transmissions hold up better than the Fords, so that may be a double win for the GMC.

I'd rather fix a GMC than a Ford, I know that much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Ford hater. But the late model Fords seem to be more problematic than their bowtie competitors.

Others may disagree...
Old 08-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblah View Post
The GM one seemed like the better option too. It seems it comes with heavier duty drivetrain...

And kids are people too, but I get what you mean! ;)

Any transmission option I should look for or avoid?

Are you buying the bus to transport 20 eight year old children?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Are you buying the bus to transport 20 eight year old children?
ha! Not at all! I'm looking at those type of buses for a conversion. I mentioned the passenger capacity as a reference to the bus's size, not my intended use!

Sorry if I wasn't clear!

EDIT: Thanks for the thread split!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:47 PM   #8

I owned a Ford like the first one. It was made for Bluebird by a Canadian company. Mine was a 2000 with a 7.3 Power Stroke and it hauled ass. That is the low roof model. I am 5'8" and had to bend my knees so I wouldn't be touching the ceiling. It is bigger than a van but not by a whole lot. Don't think that you will have plenty of room to stretch out. You better look at them in person before you buy yourself a disappointment.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-01-2015, 11:49 PM   #9

Girardin is the name I think.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Of those two, the GM is the one I'd get. The 6.0 Ford engine doesn't have many friends.
Put a Bullet Proof Diesel Engine Kit on it (from Arizona) and there are people like me that ADORE the 6.0L! It changes how the oil and coolant are cooled and protects the oil pump from overheating. LOVE the kit, ADORE the engine! If it's the Ford, put the Kit on, relax, and enjoy the ride!
Old 08-02-2015, 10:49 AM   #11
Bus Geek

I'd just rather not buy the 6.0 headache.
There are TONS of em out there for CHEAP to those brave enough, though.
For me, its still way too much a gamble. Kits or not. I don't really want anything requiring a kit simply to hope to survive its intended use.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd just rather not buy the 6.0 headache.
There are TONS of em out there for CHEAP to those brave enough, though.
For me, its still way too much a gamble. Kits or not. I don't really want anything requiring a kit simply to hope to survive its intended use.
Been a Ford man all my life. They haven't made something that I can't hot-rod, er, modify and preform to my expectations. Hardly have to do it. But I've done it on my '05 one ton because my needs have changed over the years of owning her. Had many Chevys. Mid-year changes drove me NUTS and the Turbo 400 had a nasty habit of letting the vacuum shifter wallowing out so it wouldn't get out of first gear without tearing apart the whole tranny just to put in a stainless steel sleeve to prevent it from wallowing out again. $1,500 for a 10 cent piece GM was too cheap to put in at the factory to begin with. Still have my M1031 with that now modified Turbo 400 tranny.....

So, every manufacturer has its problems. It just depends upon what you're willing to put up with that makes the difference.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Girardin is the name I think.
They most certainly are a Canadian cie. They build them 1h from where I live.

They have a whole st of used vehicules but I'm pretty sure they all will be out of price range (being still functionnal as buses, they can still provide revenu so...).

I sure will visit a few up close to figure out which is best. I'm also about 5'8" so thank for the input!!!
Old 08-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I have far less problems with Chevy than I do with fords.

To me a Ford is like a Cat engine. A Ford will get the same job done as a Chevy, just at 10x the maintenance and cost of maintenance.

I would never buy a bus unless it had a mechanical Cummins or DT engine.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #15
Skoolie

Well, this project took a bad turn.

While lloking up the needed equipement for a conversion to be legal in my province, I found this little gem...:

Les sièges et les ceintures de sécurité doivent être neufs, destinés à ce type de véhicule et installés selon les recommandations du fabricant du véhicule.

It translates to:

All seats need to have seat belts. Seats and belts need to be NEW.

Nanny state...
Old 08-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Sounds like it could get expensive up there!
Old 08-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #17
Skoolie

The full list is simply ridiculous:

-Full kitchen (cooker, fridge, counter, sink and table)
-Beds
-Full bathroom (toilet and shower with appropriate tanks)
-Eletrical power independant from the bus engine
-PROPANE SYSTEM and certification for it (they force us to use propane?? WTF?)
-Fresh and used water tanks
-Water heater (Apparently, if you use your only in the summer and don't mind cold showers, it's not ok...)
-Independant cabin heater
-At least 2 seated space with seatbelts
-Enough or more seated places qith belts than there are beds (max 9). And they need to be new.

I love my country, but we sure know how to put rules in place....damn.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:01 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

I'm from Quebec as well and just started looking at all this. Still, from what I gathered, you need to do all that if you want to be plated as a RV. It's mostly useful if you're driving a full size bus.

For mini bus, you can treat them as trucks and have a "véhicule de promenade" plate. On paper, they'll just think you've got a heavy Ford E350, let's say.

So as long as you leave seats for less then 9 people (max for "véhicule de promenade"), you should be ok. After all, the safari condo and econoline campervan don't have all those things.
Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #19
Skoolie

We should meet up and talk!

I was hoping I wasn't the only on in La Belle Province to attempt somthing like this!

I wasn't decided yet if I should go full or mini. The space and fun of the big buses are sure interesting!

PM me so we can pool our info!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #20

@mrblah
I'm in the same boat with you here in Quebec. Now I'm looking for a Step Van in good condition to start my project. I also saw those ridiculous list of "Must have" from SAAQ, but I called them 15 times and also called to every authorized garage here in Quebec City to found the next explications:
-Full kitchen (cooker, fridge, counter, sink and table) -> induction, 12v compact fridge, sink and table
-Beds -> yes, you need them, but not so big and could be foldable
-Full bathroom (toilet and shower with appropriate tanks) ->4 gallon plastic can DIY toilet, shower with grey water tank
-Eletrical power independant from the bus engine -> 2X12v batteries+solar+AC converter
-PROPANE SYSTEM and certification for it (they force us to use propane?? WTF?) -> forget it!!! You can say, that you have an allergy to propane! You got me right?
-Fresh and used water tanks ->not so big, if you will use cassette or DIY toilette
-Water heater (Apparently, if you use your only in the summer and don't mind cold showers, it's not ok...) -I will install diesel heat system connected to engine cooling system for heat exchange
-Independant cabin heater -> same diesel heater as above
-At least 2 seated space with seat belts - this is the most expensive part of the project, but you will easily find a good RV garage/dealer to buy the seats in Montreal.
-Enough or more seated places with belts than there are beds (max 9). And they need to be new. -> yes, not less seats than beds

All three garages, authorized by SAAQ to check converted bus/van, are easy to talk about brakes and suspension, but not about the different types of toilets in RV. So, don't be more saint than pope. It could be done. Even in Quebec City.

I'm open to all your questions.
radionokia is offline   Reply With Quote