Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 11:42 PM   #21

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Just don't buy a bus with a VP44 IP. You will find problems with ANY engine. Tell me if you have EVER had a perfect girlfriend? Didn't think so.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #22
Bus Nut

If you do get a VP44 read this:

VP44 Diagnostic
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:06 AM   #23

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
To Protobuzz, I think I read in one of your posts that you are an engineer. Don't take this the wrong way but I think you are over-engineering this. You will not find a perfect bus with a perfect engine and transmission and rearend. There, I said it. You can get close and that's about as good as it will get.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #24

How about transmissions?
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I'm an Allison fan. Just not the old AT543 (FINALLY...something most of us just might agree actually IS a Boat Anchor!). You will need something that locks up and the more gears the better...five...six if you can get'em. Closer ratios keep the motor in it's sweet spot better which translates as improved fuel efficiency and longer engine life. Most new gen five speeds can be re-programmed into six speeds but you'll have to do some homework to find the right shop to do it.

I'm sure others here can add to my personal short list.

BTW...A lot of Blue Birds from the late '70's and I believe into the early '80's were available with 2-stroke Detroits. Sadly, it was the 6V53 with a 6-71 supercharger. It is still known as "The Screamer" and ran at 3 grand plus. You don't want one. Trust me. Not really all that bad an engine, but acoustically painful. It was used in all the Swift boats in Nam and the crews used to claim that their engine noise inflicted more pain on the Viet Cong than their twin 50's.

I owned one. Never again.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

If you understand the limitations of each model of transmission there isn't an Allison transmission that is a bad transmission.

The AT models are lighter duty and do not have the lock up feature. Downhill can be a real exciting experience if you expected the transmission to slow you down on the way down the hill. The AT will be found behind the 5.9L, T444(E), DT(A)360, and some of the other members of the DT family depending upon the HP rating.

The MT models are medium duty and will be found behind engines over 210 HP to 300 HP and feature lock up. They will hold back going downhill.

The HT models are heavy duty and will be found behind engines with lots of HP and torque and feature lock up. They will hold back going downhill as well.

Some of the MT and HT transmissions have five gears but most have four gears. If the model number has a five in the center position it is a 5-speed and if it is a four it is a 4-speed.

The newer Allison models 1000/2000/3000 feature OD gears and lock up. In bus applications the 6-gear is usually locked out so the double OD gear isn't used. They are great transmissions but do have the added problems of electronics.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
If you understand the limitations of each model of transmission there isn't an Allison transmission that is a bad transmission.

The AT models are lighter duty and do not have the lock up feature. Downhill can be a real exciting experience if you expected the transmission to slow you down on the way down the hill. The AT will be found behind the 5.9L, T444(E), DT(A)360, and some of the other members of the DT family depending upon the HP rating.

The MT models are medium duty and will be found behind engines over 210 HP to 300 HP and feature lock up. They will hold back going downhill.

The HT models are heavy duty and will be found behind engines with lots of HP and torque and feature lock up. They will hold back going downhill as well.

Some of the MT and HT transmissions have five gears but most have four gears. If the model number has a five in the center position it is a 5-speed and if it is a four it is a 4-speed.

The newer Allison models 1000/2000/3000 feature OD gears and lock up. In bus applications the 6-gear is usually locked out so the double OD gear isn't used. They are great transmissions but do have the added problems of electronics.
Thank you for a basic and simple explanation on transmission models.

J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote