Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Pinion Angle? Whats a Pinion Angle???

I contacted Hendrickson about an air ride suspension system HAS 120 or 150. Here is the link http://www.hendrickson-intl.com/lite...ension.asp#HAS But the sales rep has asked for some info. Most of which I can give, for example frame width, loaded ride height, axle model, drum or disc brakes. But he also asks for the pinion angle and defines it as (the axle rotation
rearward to match the transmission angle or center bearing). Does any one know what this angle is or better yet how to find it?

Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Pinion Angle? Whats a Pinion Angle???

You learn something new every day!

Near as I can figure from your description and from Goolging it, it refers to the angle of the shaft coming out of the differential that takes power from the universal joint and driveshaft. Wikipedia only mentions it in the transfer case article, stating that the "Bigfoot" type machines have a "high pinion angle." What I get from this link: http://www.carcraft.com/howto/91758/index.html is that a perfectly horizontal input is said to have zero pinion angle, one tipped down toward the ground has a negative angle, and one tipped up toward the frame has a positive one. There were several links about hot rodders tinkering with the angle to keep from breaking U-joints under power.

Now, measuring it, that's something else!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:40 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Wow. Wonder what that costs?

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
Bus Nut

pinion angle = angle of the pinion relative to the ground/horizon.
get an angle finder, protractor with a pointer that automatically finds vertical, hold it on the u-joint flange on the pinion and read the angle in degrees.
hendrickson will use this information to design the proper linkage to locate the axle as the airbags only support the weight, and a mechanical link is needed to hold the axle from rotating and moving front to back and side to side.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Elliot Naess said
Wow. Wonder what that costs?
Um...ya...I just found out! I think I have decided to buy an axle/suspension system complete from a truck wrecker in Winnipeg. Its off a 2007 International wreck and its only $900.00, a little less than the $5000.00 Hendrickson wanted!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Bus Geek

That's what I feared.

Frame width seems to be standardized, so the used assembly should bolt in. Just make darned sure before you buy it!

And please DO let us know how different it rides.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
Skoolie

Once I pick it up I will post the process. Two to three weeks for sure though.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
Skoolie

Picked it up a couple days ago!

Ok here is the system I bought in Winnipeg. It came off of a 2007 Freight Liner semi. He gave me the whole setup for $650 Canadian, thats like $580 in American dollars, after I told him I was a poor hippie. It was the best deal I could find. It seams like everything is there except the compressor which he said he would sell separate, or I could just have a gauge on it and refill it when I needed, at a gas station or with my compressor for my construction company. I have also toyed with the idea of installing an on board compressor that would run on 110V ac and then use it for the suspension and other pneumatic needs. Would this be a good or bad idea? I think I will go ahead and install the system before the safety inspection. It is a complete fairly new system off a rig so it has to meet standards right? Anyway any comments would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
100_4420 resized.jpg  
Old 11-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
Bus Geek

For an air supply, I suggest you let him sell you an air brake compressor. There are belt driven air brake compressors that mount in the same manner as alternators and power steering pumps. My 1981 International with gasoline engine had one. Why reinvent the wheel? You will probably need to fabricate and modify some brackets, but that's easy. The pump should not cost you very much in fuel milage, as it freewheels when not needed.

If you have not already, you may want to read up on how the air suspension works. You should find at least one leveling valve with the rest of the parts. I strongly advice that you NOT fall for the temptation to "simplify" the system and eliminate the leveling valve. The leveling valve(s) is a key part of air suspension happiness. And it is easy to adapt to any installation, as the link to the axle can be easily modified.

In fact, you may want to use two leveling valves, one on each side. The 18-wheeler may not have had this, but I'm wondering if it might help reduce leaning in curves. It would depend on how the air is allowed to flow from side to side in the system -- beyond my knowledge. But with two valves, you would certainly be able to adjust the bus side to side if the need should arise.

Hey, I just read some of your conversion blog. Pretty cool. But quit cutting yourself with power tools!

Old 11-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Old York AC compressors make fantastic air compressors as well and can be had pretty darn cheap. The old RV-2 compressors off old Mopars are tough as nails and make great air compressors too.