Old 08-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #11
Be very careful with that ether. You can destroy an engine very easily. Our tractors had quick start bottles with a t handle on the dash. Recommended was 3 seconds but just do it it as quick as you can. If the valves rattle and it doesn't start then wait 15 minutes.
Former owner of a 1969 F600 Skoolie.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT645 Ttanny 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #12
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I'll use PB blaster or WD40 before I'll use starting fluid.. but sounds like your fuel system lost prime and the starting fluid got it to run long enough to pump its own tank fuel up to the system and good!..

if you dont have a kill cable, you have a DT-466E (electronic controls)... they are less prone to losing prime but still can happen...

but yeah I always kick mine over then do my walk around, pop the hood and make sure stuff is spinning and not spraying...

I still havent learned the art of the tire bat yet...

gives it time to build up air pressure since my air suspension always drains my air down to 55 PSI...

Why PB blaster or WD-40? Yeah, that's what it seemed like to me -- that it had lost its prime and then it came back as it caught w/ the starter fluid.

I was thinking about it after and it did seem to me that spraying the starter fluid down the throttle could likely cause some knocking as there wouldn't really be a way to time the ignition of the fluid when it's just being sprayed in there. Suppose there is another situation where the prime is lost -- what is an alternative to getting it going?
misterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #13
Bus Crazy
Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
MW, just to add to the good advice above be very careful not to use too much starting fluid/ether to get your motor going. Dumping too much starting fluid in a diesel will cause the motor to go to warp speed and the big bang before you turn off the key or use the cable etc.

Here is an example of the result of using starting fluid. Enjoy! Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #14
Bus Geek
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
PB blaster and wd-40 are flammable but not as volatile as ether so tend to be easier on the engine as the burn off is slower so effiectively later timing less likely to fire too soon or turn the engine over backwards..... even so you dont want too much.. I always sprayed a couple seconds went in cranked the engine... if it didnt catch, cranked it dry about 3 seconds... then waited a minute and tried again.. (on my old peugeot diesel)....

im not sure on an 'E' engine... I know on my DT-360 mechanicasl and the Mechanical DT-466's there is a plunger on the side of the engine that you pump which is a manual primer... I dont know if on the 'E' engines there is a 1 second electric fuel p[ump run like on a gasoline vehicle by just turning the key from off to on?

someone else would have to answer that as I dont have experience with the 'E'..

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote