Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
Skoolie

Question van kicking into O.D..

My alternative 'Skoolie' when shorty goes down, wants to kick into over drive on its on when driving at times. It doesn't do all the time but causes it to go in and out of gear until we stop cut it off and then start again. It's a 1995 ford van with 5.0 ' 351' engine and 4 speed o.d.automatic transmission. It has the button on shifter handle to cut o.d. on or off , but doesn't seem to work when it kicks into o.d., on its own. Just curious if anyone knew why. I think maybe its the button on shifter handle or brain box maybe not sure.

International is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by International View Post
My alternative 'Skoolie' when shorty goes down, wants to kick into over drive on its on when driving at times. It doesn't do all the time but causes it to go in and out of gear until we stop cut it off and then start again. It's a 1995 ford van with 5.0 ' 351' engine and 4 speed o.d.automatic transmission. It has the button on shifter handle to cut o.d. on or off , but doesn't seem to work when it kicks into o.d., on its own. Just curious if anyone knew why. I think maybe its the button on shifter handle or brain box maybe not sure.
Do mean it down shifts out of overdrive?? it will auto shift into OD as your driving normally, or do you have it manually turned off with the off light illuminated & it shifts up into OD??
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
Skoolie

Its manually cut off and up shifts into OD on its own. Then it jumps in and out of gears till we turn it off.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
I use the OD cutoff button if I'll be climbing a long hill and don't want the engine overheating, otherwise, I want that overdrive working. Why do you want the OD cut off?
Old 09-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
I use the OD cutoff button if I'll be climbing a long hill and don't want the engine overheating, otherwise, I want that overdrive working. Why do you want the OD cut off?

its not needed much.But also when it kicks up to o.d. by itself , it then gos in and out of gears and revs up real high without pulling.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:05 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
That's not normal transmission behavior. You've probably got the E40D trans which is electronically controlled. I'd check the trans fluid level first then do a fluid flush/filter change. If that doesn't help it's off to the repair shop.

Check your fluid level with a warm, idling engine.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Scan it to get the code-but I'd bet its a VSS (vehicle speed sensor.) $20- 1 bolt-mounted on the rear axle. Get a Ford one from a dealership-not from NAPA. Also check to make sure you don't have a third brake light burnt out. Believe it or not, it will cause it to happen.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36 View Post
Scan it to get the code-but I'd bet its a VSS (vehicle speed sensor.) $20- 1 bolt-mounted on the rear axle. Get a Ford one from a dealership-not from NAPA. Also check to make sure you don't have a third brake light burnt out. Believe it or not, it will cause it to happen.
I love how i learn so much just reading random posts here.

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by International View Post
Its manually cut off and up shifts into OD on its own. Then it jumps in and out of gears till we turn it off.
What's the speed doing? It will jockey back and forth between od and 3rd whether or not the engine has enough power to hold the speed in od.

Hitting the button on the handle, or sometimes on the knee panel, will solve that. A light should also turn on on the dash indicating that od is disabled.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote