Old 04-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
Re routing exhuast Dt466e

I know there’s been a lot that have done this.
I need room for underbody storage and would like to have the exhaust exit right before the rear drivers wheels. What are the mechanical Benefits ?
More hp? Less restriction ? Less back pressure ? More airflow ? Less heat? Cooler engine and trans temps?
I guess I could buy an adapter and have a bigger stainless steel tip eventually ?
Also how much more noise is there going to be ? How much louder then stock. I really want to not wake up everyone or really be as loud as my 7.3 e350 which could have an exhaust leak on the down tubes from when I took of the turbo ....

Also there’s some huge “catylitic converter” don’t really quote me not to sure what it is. But bus was from az and has an emission control buttons near driver... what’s that all about ? Also I saw a plaque mentioning something like that.

Here’s a vid just because
https://youtu.be/d6Y9fZPM8Pw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB562E28-A618-4F0C-869A-35244A64107A.jpg (115.0 KB, 11 views)
BusT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:10 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I cut off the last 6' of mine and changed the angle to come out about 18" behind the passenger wheel, freeing up that 6' to mount the propane tank. I don't foresee any difference in performance or noise level as the cut is behind the mufflers. I may still change it so it comes out the drivers side right behind the mudflap between the storage boxes.
PS- shorter pipe should make more torque, but in this application I doubt it's noticeable if at all measurable.
I think the design is intended to exit it out the rear so fumes can't get in the windows, so other than that much of the piping on a bus is unnecessary.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
I was originally planning on going out behind the rear tire. After inspecting the exhaust pipe, I found some holes in it. I cut it out to about the front of the box in the picture. Then using pieces from the original pipe that were good and bends from where it went over the rear differential, I routed it out the passenger side side in front of the rear tire. Held together with band clamps and pipe hangers. About 1000 miles so far and no real noticeable difference. It's not louder.IMG_20190414_072350.jpegIMG_20190414_072648.jpeg
Old 04-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
I was originally planning on going out behind the rear tire. After inspecting the exhaust pipe, I found some holes in it. I cut it out to about the front of the box in the picture. Then using pieces from the original pipe that were good and bends from where it went over the rear differential, I routed it out the passenger side side in front of the rear tire. Held together with band clamps and pipe hangers. About 1000 miles so far and no real noticeable difference. It's not louder.Attachment 31860Attachment 31861
has anyone put an exhaust stack on a skoolie? - I either have to have a stack, or carry an exhaust extension when I carry sleddogs to get the idling exhaust away from the dogs
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
has anyone put an exhaust stack on a skoolie? - I either have to have a stack, or carry an exhaust extension when I carry sleddogs to get the idling exhaust away from the dogs
Google it. there are 100 examples in images.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
If I were to do a stack, I'd just run it up behind the driver's area
Old 04-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
If I were to do a stack, I'd just run it up behind the driver's area
Here ya go. :thumb:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (5.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg img_124560_e2d07f6f5efee5bded05b435ee9ddd1e.jpg (51.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-14-2019, 03:22 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Here ya go.
thanks - I found that thread and spent the last 3/4 of an hour going through it - ( by the time I get my own rig, I'm going to be one of those 'experts' I disregard so highly - you know the ones, the ones that have all sorts of schooling, even years on years of schooling, that try to tell the 40 year tradesman how to do a job without ever having any hands on experience - lol ) - the grey bus with the stack behind the driver's window makes sense to me
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Build for damage control in the area you live or plan to travel in.
Those look like like schedule 40 steel pipe to me.
A little figuring ou and matching sizes is needed but that possibility is endless.
The less restriction is why you see truck's on the road with stacks at the cab?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #10
Bus Nut

That gray one with the stacks doesn't really make sense to me. The length of the pipe, if turned sideways, would put it right in front of the rear wheels. At the same time, it looks like the stack is about the same height above the windows as it would be if it came out standard and exited on the side at the bottom of the skirt.

You could just as easily put a larger pipe under the bus.

I mean, it looks cool, but I'm not seeing much of a practical point. Maybe there's a benefit when idling, but I thought that if you let the bus idle for long enough to the fumes to be a problem, then you're idling too long. (I suppose it could be different in super cold climates when you need to keep it running, but. . . .)
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dt466e, exhaust, re route, straight piped