Old 12-03-2004, 10:58 PM   #11
Bus Crazy
Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
My Holley Economaster 4bbl gives much better mileage than the old Motorcraft 2bbls that most Fords I see use. A Rochester Q-jet or Carter Thermo-Quad will be just as good (maybe better). My friend's International Travelall saw a 2MPG boost (from 9-10 to 11-12) when he replaced his 392's old 2bbl carb with a Quadrajet.
Optimism is a mental disorder.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:22 PM   #12
Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
Since Edelbrock bought the Quadrajet line they now make compatable manifolds for most manufactureres (Ford, Dodge, etc...) so you can bolt one right on. I was thinking of doing this on my Mustang since I use Quadrajets on my stock cars and love them. Don't believe it when people say they're junk cause they got a bad wrap in the '60 when GM put crappy quality cams in their vehicles and the carb got blamed when they wouldn't run smooth. Lobes would wear right off the cams and flatted out which caused a serious lack of power and rough running. Probably more than all of you needed to know I bet. Sometimes I run on. ;)
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:53 AM   #13
Almost There

Hi There , My limited experience with gas mileage is that dual exhaust always provides better mileage. Bear in mind that good or great mileage is directly related to the pressure applied to the accelerator pedal by the right foot. Better breathing by the engine relates to better mileage. Some where in one of these forums is an article or two that show a tremendous increase in mileage by smoothing out the under side of the bus. That is going to be my approach. A huge amount of drag comes from the air going under your bus.

Later, J.B.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 01:09 PM   #14
Bus Nut
Originally Posted by trx
You mean something like this?
Hey, that's a good looking rig! Thanks for the link.

It sorta looks like they'd be a little hard to see past and perhpas infringe on seeing the side mirrors. I suppose this is something you just have to do a trial fit on.
Les Lampman
1982 Thomas Saf-T-Liner Pusher "Illusion" Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote