Old 06-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Did you check the ignition switch at all? Seems odd that the engine doesn't run and none of the gauges or buzzers work in the on position. It could just be as simple as that contact in the switch is bad.
good point, I will check
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #12
I got it figured out, I took the advice to look at the ignition switch, it was working properly, I then found those wires inside the access panel and figured out that the body relay was not working, I was able to jump it across with a #10 wire. Once I jumpered it the low air buzzer came on, I started her up and she ran and my gauges all started working except my tach, and my alternator did not start charging.

I let the air build up and noticed my air throttle was not working, I went to the back and throttled up the engine a couple of times.
my throttle started working like it should and my alternator was charging.

No clue as to what that was all about.

I need to find me a service manual so I can fix these things easier than chasing wires

this has two identical relays, the diagram on the door calls one a chassis relay, the other is a body relay.
I am going to order two relays, take the known working relay as a spare, then take the one which has failed apart just to see if it is contacts that are bad.

anyway thanks for all the ideas everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay (1) (Medium).jpg (82.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg relay (2) (Medium).jpg (37.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #13
UPDATE PARTS installed all good

Parts arrived today, when I was looking closer at the old relay I noticed that someone had scrapped off some of the paint where the relay spacers come up against the mounting surface, it appears that there were ground issues at one time, I put a jumper on to give it a good ground but no good.
I replaced the relay with the new one and reattached the ground jumper I made up to the ground terminal right next to it just to give it a good ground.

All works like it should, I have all gauges and starts and runs like a real champ.

I think it may be possible that the relay failed due to excessive heat from having a poor ground, but I do not know.

here is the ground strap I added to ensure a ground going forward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new relay with added ground (Medium).jpg (101.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #14
Bus Geek
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Thanks for the update.

I love it when things get worked out.

"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote