Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 231
start and die

1995 thomas re with a 8.3 cummins engine, I crank the engine over and she fires off imediatly, let go of the key and she dies. hold the key and she stays running until I let off the key.

It is dark out now so I have to get a closer look tomorrow after work, but to me this sounds like maybe a fuel shut off solenoid/ or a relay? breaker? fuse?
I tried to use the rear start button and it did not work, but I have never tried it before so I am not sure if that is related.

Tomorrow I may try and get someone to turn the key over while I watch the pump solenoid.

any ideas anyone?
thanks
Cliff
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:16 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,241
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hasbeen View Post
1995 thomas re with a 8.3 cummins engine, I crank the engine over and she fires off imediatly, let go of the key and she dies. hold the key and she stays running until I let off the key.

It is dark out now so I have to get a closer look tomorrow after work, but to me this sounds like maybe a fuel shut off solenoid/ or a relay? breaker? fuse?
I tried to use the rear start button and it did not work, but I have never tried it before so I am not sure if that is related.

Tomorrow I may try and get someone to turn the key over while I watch the pump solenoid.

any ideas anyone?
thanks
Cliff
I had something similarly quirky happen on a 1996 lincoln town car limousine.
Start the car normally, everything worked!
Turn off ignition and all electrical shut off, but engine kept running...
it would not die until I pulled the "drivetrain" fuse under the hood...

But get this, you could leave the fuse out, and car would start and have all electrical. But it would die at the most inopportune moment.

Electrical engineer wired a relay to the "normal on" wire under dash out to solenoid on fender under hood.

Chased that gremlin for months!

with you having the key twisted to the furthest right, you are closing contacts.... release the key and you are opening contacts.
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:31 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 1,615
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Unhook the fuel shut off solenoid and see what happens. You can of course manually throw the lever to shut it off.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:21 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 2,939
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Your lift pump on the side of the engine block has failed.

When you hold the key on, you activate the small electric primer pump T'ed off the fuel intake line to the injection pump.

To verify this, disconnect power to the small electric primer pump. The engine will not start at all.

OR

Install a fuel pressure gauge in the same line the small electric primer pump is in using another T. Google what pressure you should have for that engine. Have someone stand there and watch it as you crank and start the bus.

Hope this helps.

Nat
__________________
"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 231
at lunch I put a piece of wood under the fuel shut off solenoid to hold it in the up position, started the engine from the front and she fired up immediately and idled just fine, however I did not have any dash gauges and the low air buzzer was not buzzing.
pilled the block of wood out and the engine died.

I will dig deeper after work if I get the lawn mowed in time
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 2,939
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Is your fuel shutoff solenoid air powered on your bus, or electric?

Glad you got her to idle.

Nat
__________________
"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Is your fuel shutoff solenoid air powered on your bus, or electric?

Glad you got her to idle.

Nat
Nat, it is an electric solenoid.
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 2,939
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hasbeen View Post
Nat, it is an electric solenoid.
Ah good.

Should just be a simple two wire connection. Simple to figure out if it's the wiring failing, or the solenoid it's self.

Nat
__________________
"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Ah good.

Should just be a simple two wire connection. Simple to figure out if it's the wiring failing, or the solenoid it's self.

Nat
yea, it actually has three wires, I turned on the ignition to the run position and tested all three wires with a test light but no voltage present, I may talk the wife into turning the key to the start position tonight to see which wire is going hot when the crank over starts.
It should be a simple fix once I get to chasing down wires

thanks
Cliff
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 623
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hasbeen View Post
at lunch I put a piece of wood under the fuel shut off solenoid to hold it in the up position, started the engine from the front and she fired up immediately and idled just fine, however I did not have any dash gauges and the low air buzzer was not buzzing.
pilled the block of wood out and the engine died.

I will dig deeper after work if I get the lawn mowed in time
Did you check the ignition switch at all? Seems odd that the engine doesn't run and none of the gauges or buzzers work in the on position. It could just be as simple as that contact in the switch is bad.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.