Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-06-2019, 10:44 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6
Suggestions for gas, manual transmission buses?

Hi all. I do not yet own a bus. Am saving money to purchase one to convert for blend of living and working out of. Am asking for recommendations from those of you with experience, what buses are most compatible with my preferences -

One thing I am noticing from browsing cl and other ads of buses for sale, is most school buses seem to be both diesel and automatic transmission. Both of which are opposite of my preferences.

I definitely prefer regular gas as its more affordable to maintain, repair and buy gas for. With as high gas mileage as possible.


And automatic transmissions tend to also be more expensive and complicated to repair or replace than manual transmissions.


Any suggestions for short to mid size, mechanically and structurally durable buses run on regular gas, and manual transmissions?


And given Californias smog red tape, compatible with smog requirements.


Ive heard Collins are better built structurally.?

Definitely need height enough to stand fully upright in. Ideally with some extra space I can add a loft to some portion. Even the type with an outcropping space above driving area cab is good. Realize i may just need to do a roof raise for this preference.?


I am in the SF Bay area of California.
ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,798
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
DejaVu.........
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
weboughtabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 329
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
DejaVu.........
In their other post they acknowledged that they had already posted this one, but thought the other subforum was a better location for it. I wish users on this forum had better thread management options so we could delete or request moves for our own threads.
__________________
charlotte_thebus on Instagram
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
Bus Nut
 
geminusprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 252
Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboughtabus View Post
In their other post they acknowledged that they had already posted this one, but thought the other subforum was a better location for it. I wish users on this forum had better thread management options so we could delete or request moves for our own threads.
Woah, you're right - we can't delete posts.


I've seen a few older threads with deleted posts by users, is this done by admins or was this a time of a different forum / ability to edit/delete comments?
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
weboughtabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 329
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminusprime View Post
Woah, you're right - we can't delete posts.


I've seen a few older threads with deleted posts by users, is this done by admins or was this a time of a different forum / ability to edit/delete comments?
I know we have a short window where we can edit our posts (not sure what the timeout is on that), but I don't think we have the option to fully delete. It could be that someone messaged a moderator to delete their post/thread.
__________________
charlotte_thebus on Instagram
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboughtabus View Post
In their other post they acknowledged that they had already posted this one, but thought the other subforum was a better location for it. I wish users on this forum had better thread management options so we could delete or request moves for our own threads.



Thank you.
ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:30 AM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,549
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean View Post
Hi all. I do not yet own a bus. Am saving money to purchase one to convert for blend of living and working out of. Am asking for recommendations from those of you with experience, what buses are most compatible with my preferences -

One thing I am noticing from browsing cl and other ads of buses for sale, is most school buses seem to be both diesel and automatic transmission. Both of which are opposite of my preferences.

I definitely prefer regular gas as its more affordable to maintain, repair and buy gas for. With as high gas mileage as possible.


And automatic transmissions tend to also be more expensive and complicated to repair or replace than manual transmissions.


Any suggestions for short to mid size, mechanically and structurally durable buses run on regular gas, and manual transmissions?


And given Californias smog red tape, compatible with smog requirements.

Ive heard Collins are better built structurally.?

Definitely need height enough to stand fully upright in. Ideally with some extra space I can add a loft to some portion. Even the type with an outcropping space above driving area cab is good. Realize i may just need to do a roof raise for this preference.?

I am in the SF Bay area of California.

Manual transmissions are rare in buses made in the last 30 years or so, but there are a few. "Regular" gas (as in the old leaded gas) was phased out in the late 80's, so I'll assume you mean whatever gas is commonly available these days. If you're wanting a smaller van style cutaway bus, gas options are widely available, but manual transmissions are not. Moving up to larger style buses, gassers aren't as common, and even fewer with manuals ... I haven't seen a manual gasser since the 70's. Keep in mind, with a gas full size bus, you'll do good to get 6 MPG (and that's being very optimistic, many get closer to 4-5), where a diesel can get between 7-10 MPG. Diesels will also last much longer. Are you *SURE* you still want that full size gasser? Still have to have one with a stick-shift? Good luck with your search, you'll probably be finding buses from the 80's and older. Also, good luck finding parts for these old beasts, you're going to need it.


There's a reason school districts have mostly switched to diesels, mostly beginning in the late 80's. Even with the higher initial purchase cost, they require less frequent maintenance and have greater longevity, and considerably better fuel economy. It was shown to have a return on investment after just a few years (something like $8000 more to buy a diesel over a gasser, but saving that much in fuel and maintenance over about 8-10 years; these figures were from the late 80's).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bus, gas, transmission

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.