Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Tempature Gauges

I'll be dollars to doughnuts it's a tranny temp gauge.

Ben.

NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Re: Temperature Gauges

Either way if your tranny temp gets to that pink mark you should go take a break and let it cool down.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Bus Geek

tranny cool down instructions are:

put transmission in neutral and let engine run at idle or slightly above.

The problem with shutting off the bus when the engine, or the trans is hot is that even though the temperature of the fluid is really hot where your temp probe is, the fluid is even hotter someplace else inside the engine/trans. In an engine, The cylinder heads may be approaching several hundred degrees, and having coolant flow over these metal parts keeps them from getting even hotter. Shutting off the engine can cause non-circulating water to stay in contact with metal that is several hundred degrees over heating the coolant, and possibly damaging the metal parts.

not to mention your turbo! Turbo's really like to cool down for a few mins before shutting the engine off, especially when you pull off at a rest area!

the trans is a lot like the engine, where you can have trans fluid contacting really hot metal parts. The best way to cool the metal parts is to have fluid constantly circulating.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

If the lower gauge is a tranny temp gauge you SHOULD see it move with the engine temperature unless your transmission cooler is totally separate from the radiator. In many cases the aux. tranny cooler is plumbed in series with the standard radiator tank cooler so you should still see some rise. Just food for thought.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Tranny cooler on my 2500 is in front of the radiator and has its own fan. I never see the needle move unless I am pulling a trailer.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

transmission coolers are usually in the radiator for 2 reasons: 1) to bring the tranny temperature UP quickly as the engine warms up to help it run reliably and to remove moisture. 2) to cool it down when you are working it hard. If transmission temperatures run low all the time then you create acids and moisture that attack it and will shorten it's life. sportyrick
sportyrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Gauges and coolers

The deciding factor with regard to coolers and gages is the dollar cost. Makers or buses make buses to make a good profit. The makers could easily build a better product but most items are designed with a longivety factor. Each item has a life span. Building a cooler inside a radiator is a great cost saving method.
Having a trans cooler in the radiator makes the trans be the same temp as the engine and also makes the engine the same temp as the trans. Seperate coolers, sized properly with large supply lines work the best. Using a single gage with 2 senders and a spst switch works very well. The senders must be matched to the gage. Trans coolers must be sized for the intended work load. The number 1 reason for trans failure is over heating and low fluid level. An external fluid filter is a nice option. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

[quote="julie20099"]The samples were shaken for one minute with 100 cycles per minute, then 25 minutes with 30 cycles per minute to make Floc. During this time, formation of Flocs were observed , then Flocs were allowed to settle for 30 minutes and after that jars were sampled for analyzing and measuring turbidity and pH. The residual turbidity was compared with initial turbidity. In addition, pH variations were examined. This method was repeated for four times, Sulphuric acid (1N) was used to study the influence of pH on efficiency of coagulant aid P.ovata. Then pH variation as well as final turbidity of the samples was compared with the initial values.

what nature of spam madness is this?!?
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote