Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
The color of smoke?

I've seen a couple of posts lately (one of which was mine) that asked "why does my bus smoke?" One of the responses said there were three colors of smoke, and each one indicated a different problem. I figured this was the best forum to ask this question:

What does WHITE smoke indicate & how can it be fixed?

What does BLUE smoke indicate & how can it be fixed?

What does BLACK smoke indicate & how can it be fixed?

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Bus Nut

smoke colors

Engine condition and other problems can be recognized by the color of the exhaust smoke.
White smoke mostly occurs when the engine is cold or before the engine is up to operating temps. It is also a good indicator that fuel is reaching the cyliders and not fuel starved.
Blue smoke is in evidence as the engine is warming to operating temps with a high time/milage engine. Blue smoke may or not be reduced when engine is warmed to operating temps.
Black engine smoke is an indication of the engine being given more fuel that the engine can use. The cylinders are not completely using/burning all the fuel supplied to the engine. Any diesel will show some black smoke while pulling up any hill. The test of a good driver/operator, is to not lose road speed/economy
or blanket the area with heavy smoke. Most low horsepower diesel engine must make black smoke, up a hill, to maintain speed with other vehicles. Most truck and bus owners relocate the exhaust piping so the rear end of the exhaust can be observed from the driver's seat. The end of pipe is directed away and down toward the road way.
There are several gases and liquids that may be added to a diesel engine for an increase in power/performance with not harm to the engines.
Water/alcohol has been used for many years in the off road and trucking world for power. A system can be purchased as a kit or shop built.
Standard propane gas or LPG can be used as an engine power enhancer with a kit or do it yourself.
Nitros oxide gas can also be added for better engine power. Some folks use all these power making methods.
The addition of a turbo adds about a 30% increase of horsepower. An intercooler will add another increase of power for every 100 degrees the air charge temps are reduced. Yep there are other power makers too, including modified injector pumps, injectors and timing. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Re: The color of smoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
I've seen a couple of posts lately (one of which was mine) that asked "why does my bus smoke?" One of the responses said there were three colors of smoke, and each one indicated a different problem. I figured this was the best forum to ask this question:

What does WHITE smoke indicate & how can it be fixed?

What does BLUE smoke indicate & how can it be fixed?

What does BLACK smoke indicate & how can it be fixed?
Here are some textbook answers.

White Exhaust Smokewhite smoke could indicate several problems, such as unburned fuel from lack of heat, incorrect injection timing, poor atomization of fuel or coolant being burned during combustion.

White Smoke Due to lack of heat. When fuel is injected into a combustion chamber where there is insufficient heat for ignition and combustion the fuel will not be completely burned resulting in White Smoke. Low ambient temperatures (Winter Operation) make it more difficult for cylinder pressure to generate enough heat, especially when starting the engine. Once the engine has warmed up the smoke will normally disappear. Starting aids are used to reduce this problem (Glow plugs, intake heaters etc.) Low compression pressures (worn engine) will not generate sufficient heat for efficient combustion and can cause the engine to produce white smoke even at operating temperature.

White Smoke Due to Incorrect Injection Timing. If the fuel injection timing is retarted, the burning fuel chases the piston down in the cylinder. When the exhaust valve opens, the heat escapes before the fuel is completely burned. The unburned or partially burned fuel exits the exhaust as white smoke. With the engine at operating temperature and under load, the white smoke may appear to be a gray color.

White Smoke Due to Poor Atomization of Fuel Poor atomization of the fuel may be caused by low injection pressure. The fuel droplets are too large and therefore harder to ignite and burn. As a result combustion is in complete resulting in White Smoke.

Black Exhaust SmokeBlack exhaust smoke usually indicates there is not enough oxygen for proper combustion.

Black Exhaust Smoke Can be The Result of Two Conditions. 1. A lack of air for the metered amount of fuel. This could be due to a plugged air filter, a defective turbo or leaking intake system gaskets and hoses on turbo charged engines.
2.An excess amount of fuel (overfuelling) for the amount of air an engine can supply. If the maximum fuel setting is greater than the manufacturers specs or if pollution controls have been improperly adjusted, there may not be sufficient air to burn all of the fuel.

Blue Exhaust Smoke Blue exhaust smoke is the result of an engine burning oil. Common causes include worn piston rings, excessive crankcase pressure, worn valve guides or a defective turbo charger.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote