Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-16-2019, 06:41 AM   #81
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,359
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
First and foremost: Thanx to all y'all!That is trending to be the opinion of all of the serious gear heads on the forum.
Check out Johnny Mullet's Vlog.
Shaky camera work and needs editing, but it sure sounds sweet!Duly noted, sir. No longer, "taking it under advisement."I ain't got nothing to lose. Slow is fine... And I did say the Laws of Physics, not Phun!
The bus' motive power, inclusive of the exhaust system, was scrupulously and meticulously designed by a team of mechanical engineers, every man-jack of them blessed with an anally-retentive attention to detail (leave us hope).
All aspects; intake/outflow charts, angular momentum, vector analysis, fluid flow dynamics, tensile strength under variable conditions, Boyle's Law, thermodynamics, calculus under multiple differentials to calculate the integers needed (based on focus groups' focused on digits dudes definitely dig), all in order to create a total final displacement for an engine series to have a really cool-sounding numetical name. 444E notwithstanding...
Along with coursework in Chemistry, Statistics, Differential Calculus, Underwater Basket-Weaving (damned demanded Humanities-required courses...), and, of course- Physics.
Since they wrote the rules (ie, Laws) on our motor-vators, factoring in, and designing for, the resistance of back-pressurizing, I am unable to even bend the Laws of Physics! [At least not until I get my particle accelerator back from Manny, Moe, & Jack. (Forget Jack. He's ing-off somewhere. Prolly the Ladies Room.)]
'Course, if the only reason a noise-contrictive, flow-resistive metallic baffle was included to merely comply with the Law of the Land, well... that's a different fettle of kish.
Their laws I can gleefully plot to circumvent!
Or, to put it more simply (Thank Dawg, no doubt...):
Gone-ZOGots to love that hard surface echo!!!
A well-tuned engine sounds extra cool in/alongside; tunnels, sound ablative freeway walls, jersey barriers, road cuts (especially ones going into igneous rock), Dwayne Johnson...



not to burst anyone's Super Bubble.. But Navistar tech considers the Triple-4E a 7.4 litre.. 445 cubic inch engine..... kinetic engineering aside the marketing guys probably said "what the hell is a T-445E?".. ever notice the engine serial numbers start with 7.4? (those nunbers by the way are what triggers the HEUI ECM to run 6 or 8 cylinders.. and whether to send fuel for a DT466 or a DT-530E
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #82
Bus Nut
 
REDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: ...little north of Toronto Ontario
Posts: 589
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
026.jpg

027.jpg


I cut the top part off a straight truck exhaust/stack that had a curved tip, then welded it down and to the right to blow the soot pass the trailer. [A white ATV in tow]
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:16 AM   #83
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 44
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Freighliner
Chassis: Fs-65
Engine: 5.9l cummins
Rated Cap: 36 passenger
How many off you guys are having issues with soot. I put oversize injectors in my cummins. Other than cold start it runs pretty clean.
Cjgoertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:49 AM   #84
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,359
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the back of my DEV bus which is a DTA-360. and has a straight outthe back exhaust gets sooty on the back over time... the red bus had a turn down (a Nicely smashed one from being dragged I guess).. and it never had soot on the back..



currently I have my exhaust going straight out the right side in front of the wheel and it doesnt seem to blow smoke but its loud so im going to install a turndown on it .. im getting ready to install bigger injectors so im guessing ill be blowing a little black smoke. and dont necessarily want to coal-roll bicyclists and pedestrians in the cities i drive.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #85
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 44
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Freighliner
Chassis: Fs-65
Engine: 5.9l cummins
Rated Cap: 36 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the back of my DEV bus which is a DTA-360. and has a straight outthe back exhaust gets sooty on the back over time... the red bus had a turn down (a Nicely smashed one from being dragged I guess).. and it never had soot on the back..



currently I have my exhaust going straight out the right side in front of the wheel and it doesnt seem to blow smoke but its loud so im going to install a turndown on it .. im getting ready to install bigger injectors so im guessing ill be blowing a little black smoke. and dont necessarily want to coal-roll bicyclists and pedestrians in the cities i drive.
My chrome tip from a semi is turned down at the back aswell. Im a cummins guru. Its nice to see other guys on the forum doing performance upgrades, havn't seen much of that on this site. I peronally like the turn down it pruduces a nice echo off the pavement. How much are oversize injectors for the dt-360. I solely put injectors in for milage and ease of pulling hills
Cjgoertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #86
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,359
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjgoertzen View Post
My chrome tip from a semi is turned down at the back aswell. Im a cummins guru. Its nice to see other guys on the forum doing performance upgrades, havn't seen much of that on this site. I peronally like the turn down it pruduces a nice echo off the pavement. How much are oversize injectors for the dt-360. I solely put injectors in for milage and ease of pulling hills

my big injectors are for the T444E, ive already turned the computer program up on it... my stock injectors are tired at 192k miles so i got some alliant stage-1's to put in it.. with bigger injectors i can run a DT-466E program which is a little more aggressive with timing on the low end.. i'll have to watch my EGTs.. I really should get a waste-gated turbo as im getting up to 22.5 lbs of boost which bugs me a bit with the thinner headgaskets the 444E has in comparison to the ford 7.3.. the 7.3 can take a little higher RPM and bigger Head gaskets means a bit bigger combustion area to start the flame spread.. I like advanced timing for low end torque. but too small combustion area at the start of injection can cause issues.. i did go with split-shots so there is some pre-fueling..



my DT-360 is still stock... only thing I can really do with it is turn the fuel screws up on it .. and take its timing out to 20.. which should get me in the 220-230 HP range.. its a short bus with an MT-643 so that would move it nicely.. unfortunately though its an A-pump so not much im going to do with that unless I P-pump it... .P-pumps command high $$ these days..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #87
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 44
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Freighliner
Chassis: Fs-65
Engine: 5.9l cummins
Rated Cap: 36 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my big injectors are for the T444E, ive already turned the computer program up on it... my stock injectors are tired at 192k miles so i got some alliant stage-1's to put in it.. with bigger injectors i can run a DT-466E program which is a little more aggressive with timing on the low end.. i'll have to watch my EGTs.. I really should get a waste-gated turbo as im getting up to 22.5 lbs of boost which bugs me a bit with the thinner headgaskets the 444E has in comparison to the ford 7.3.. the 7.3 can take a little higher RPM and bigger Head gaskets means a bit bigger combustion area to start the flame spread.. I like advanced timing for low end torque. but too small combustion area at the start of injection can cause issues.. i did go with split-shots so there is some pre-fueling..



my DT-360 is still stock... only thing I can really do with it is turn the fuel screws up on it .. and take its timing out to 20.. which should get me in the 220-230 HP range.. its a short bus with an MT-643 so that would move it nicely.. unfortunately though its an A-pump so not much im going to do with that unless I P-pump it... .P-pumps command high $$ these days..
-Christopher
What kind of programer do you use. I cant seem to find an answer as to what to use on my shorty with the 24v cummins. I installed 275hp rv injectors on that beast. It hade a huge difference for pulling hills. We actually just got back from florida with it and at 60mph avg anywhere from 14.5 to 17.1 mpg depending on the wind. Pullin hills in the ozarks i was pushing 30 psi boost and egts never got over 1000 degrees. Do believe my hx 35 is safe to run 35 psi all day long.

Have you thought about studding the head?

I studded mine after a headgasket job just added insurance in my mind.

I agree on the p-pump seems every one wants one. Especially on the cummins to get rid of the vp44. I run an airdog so im hoping it will last for a long time before i have to change it. Fortunately i have a p-pump just have to get injector line and a 12v timing cover. But if im going that far a colt cam will be goin in too.
Cjgoertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #88
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,359
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
from what I understand its not so much the strength of the head bolts on the 7.3 that becomes an issue.. its more the flame spread is fast and with too much boost blows it out between a couple cylinders.. the stock GTP38R turbo is good for 40 psi all day long and some guys run up high.. ive just been told that 28 on the fords is the max safe boost.. and since i have a smaller combustion area the compression is a little higher.. it could be im totally being over-sensitive and I could push gobs more boost and fuel at it without harm... I know im limited by RPM.. 2600-2700 is all i have with the head gasket thickness and cam profile.. but I am over-geared as it is so i dont have nay need to spin... (with a 0.61 OD, a 3.54 rear and 225/70R19.5 tires im 1550 RPM at 65. which is a little low for a V-.



programmer wise im using the Navistar software and the Nexiq USBlink2 device... I cant use the ford programmers as the yare all designed for the ford PCMs which are completely different than the navistar.. I have an "unlocked"(wink) version of the software that allows me to change the Rating codes and HP limits.. (as well as the RPM if i really wanted to)... theres not a lot out there for Medium duty tuning... as you noted earlier, not alot of people are pumping up school busses and dump trucks... my MPGs have gone up ever since I turned up my HP because i can run in a higher gear.. more favorable RPM range and dont have to wind-out the engine at redline just to climb small hills.. my EGTs seem fine when im pushing lots of boost and up near the higher end of my RPM band even at full throttle.. but the big 1.00AR on both turbine and compressor side GTP38R turbo spools late so I dont get the low end boost I need to keep the EGTs in check at the mid RPM range.. I may put a wickedwheel2 compressor wheel on. as its suppose to help with higher low end boost numbers.. I dont black smoke so I dont need it for burning fuel better but might help with some cooler air in the holes..



I still need to get a "boost" gauge on the turbine side so I can see where my turbo crosses over.. it could be horribly inefficient and i dont know it because I only see the true boost side and not the exhaust backpressure on the turbine side..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.