Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
The value of oil analysis

Last years oil analysis showed high chromium and silicon.

I checked to intake tract and found the air filter rubber gasket was suspect but the biggy was the filter minder housing was cracked. It looked Ok but further inspection showed it's defect. I replaced both items and changed the oil.

Got my new analysis and the chromium is 1/3 what it was and the silicon went from 13 to 8, which is OK. All others are also ok, fuel 0, water 0 etc.

$28 plus under $4 shipping for piece of mind and this year's oil change will be done next year (under 4000mi per year).

Helpful hint: Through experience of myself and others, I found that sending the sample in the supplied black container to Blackstone resulted in a up to 3 week delay. Dropped the container into a small box got there very quickly! Mailed on Sunday, rec'd on Wed.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Last years oil analysis showed high chromium and silicon.

I checked to intake tract and found the air filter rubber gasket was suspect but the biggy was the filter minder housing was cracked. It looked Ok but further inspection showed it's defect. I replaced both items and changed the oil.

Got my new analysis and the chromium is 1/3 what it was and the silicon went from 13 to 8, which is OK. All others are also ok, fuel 0, water 0 etc.

$28 plus under $4 shipping for piece of mind and this year's oil change will be done next year (under 4000mi per year).

Helpful hint: Through experience of myself and others, I found that sending the sample in the supplied black container to Blackstone resulted in a up to 3 week delay. Dropped the container into a small box got there very quickly! Mailed on Sunday, rec'd on Wed.
Thanks for the tip 2kool4skool.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote