Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #1

Thomas "6 cylinder diesel" VIN decoding

We're starting the process of looking for a bus to convert for full time living. I've narrowed what I'd like down to a Thomas (from NC, like the idea of having an NC made bus) & preferable transit style & pusher with Detroit or Cummins. I've got a few I may want to check out but wanted more info via the VIN. 1T7HR3B is the start of the one I'm most interested in, which using the decoding chart should be an MVP-ER, pusher with 72" ceilings and a "6 cylinder diesel". Which leads me to the question, WHICH 6 cylinder diesel? I've looked and 2 different decoder charts for Thomas busses and both just say "6 cylinder diesel" without specifying the manufacturer. I've googled and haven't found a definitive answer. Anyone know what the generic 6 cylinder diesel listed on the decoder charts is supposed to be?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BullCityBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

On one of the buses I looked into I had the same issue. In my case it looked like it was a Cat engine but owner could never verify.
kenfoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
https://www.gates.com/search-by-vin
try here

i also remember reading somewhere NC busses can tend to be slow, so try and ask seller about gear ratio
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
try here

i also remember reading somewhere NC busses can tend to be slow, so try and ask seller about gear ratio
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed! Looks like the one a county over that if like to check out is a Cummins, which is what I was hoping for.

Seller is the school system so I'm sure it will be slow since school busses in NC are limited to 55. Shouldn't be too much trouble to remove the governor tho.

Thanks again!

Old 01-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
From an NC SKOOLIE if you are lookin at the older busses. Stay away from the 8.2/545 and all the older busses with computers were rear geared engine built for there top speed. So no governors to adjust.
I am stuck at 49 without changing something. Several options just haven't decided.
The activity busses are geared for higher speed but are around 55-59
The newer computer controlled are only limited by the computer parameters as for as I know.
What county are you in?
What type of bus are you looking for?
I know of two flat nose mid size busses in Wayne county that look real good and probably came from the Air Force base so probably maintained and already run highway speeds easily.
Otherwise I would look into counties like mecklenburg and north into the mountain areas for a good drivetrain and capable engine/tranny cooling system for highway speeds/travel.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCityBus View Post
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed! Looks like the one a county over that if like to check out is a Cummins, which is what I was hoping for.

Seller is the school system so I'm sure it will be slow since school busses in NC are limited to 55. Shouldn't be too much trouble to remove the governor tho.

Thanks again!

Glad to help! good luck on the bus!
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
From an NC SKOOLIE if you are lookin at the older busses. Stay away from the 8.2/545 and all the older busses with computers were rear geared engine built for there top speed. So no governors to adjust.
I am stuck at 49 without changing something. Several options just haven't decided.
The newer computer controlled are only limited by the computer parameters as for as I know.
What county are you in?
I know of two flat nose mid size busses in Wayne county that look real good and probably came from the Air Force base so probably maintained and already run highway speeds easily.
Otherwise I would look into counties like mecklenburg and north into the mountain areas for a good drivetrain and capable engine/tranny cooling system for highway speeds/travel.
Good luck
I'm right in the middle, Orange/Durham so I'm pretty well situated to go just about anywhere in the state to look. Thanks for the gearing tip, didn't even think of that. I think I'm definitely gonna expand the search & we're not in a hurry thankfully. Can you send the the Wayne county info?

Old 01-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
try here

Yes, that chart should identify the engine. I've only seen CAT and Cummins in the MVP's I've looked at.

Only the buses destined for NC schools have the severe speed restrictions. Those restrictions can be removed but check the final drive gearing too, as one way to keep the speed low is to lower the gearing, 6.14 being fairly common.

That said, the one guy I know who has a CAT engine with a 6.14 FD ratio did get Allison to unlock 6th gear making it a very fine highway bus, and with the lower gearing it's pretty good in town too.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #9
Bus Geek

I actually just caught your name/title?
I know the BULL CITY and if that's where you are at then there is a huge bus barn just north of you between Greensboro and MEBANE off of I85 on the left as your heading north and a good bit of those buses should be ready to roll the interstate and the foot hills of the area just fine.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm right in the middle, Orange/Durham so I'm pretty well situated to go just about anywhere in the state to look. Thanks for the gearing tip, didn't even think of that. I think I'm definitely gonna expand the search & we're not in a hurry thankfully. Can you send the the Wayne county info?

I will be in the area tomorrow and if I remember I will stop and get pics and contact info.
It is a dealership but both buses are already a deep blue with white roof so I am thinking he got them from Seymour Johnson air base.
I will let you know tomorrow night.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #11

Quote:
What county are you in?
Good luck
Forgot.....as far as what I'm looking for: definitely Transit style. Not too picky about it being front or rear engined but I hear it's easier to get to the engine to work on with a pusher. So, Transit style with a reliable and proven type of engine are really my only two "must haves". The higher the roof the better too I guess, I'd rather not do a roof raise...

Old 01-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
I will be in the area tomorrow and if I remember I will stop and get pics and contact info.
It is a dealership but both buses are already a deep blue with white roof so I am thinking he got them from Seymour Johnson air base.
I will let you know tomorrow night.
Sweet. I'm over Mebane way pretty often. Got a buddy who lives there and I own a rental house between Carrboro and Mebane.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #13
Bus Geek

I can't remember the exit I used to get to the job in MEBANE but anyway the bus barn was before MEBANE but I could only drool as I was running by to keep up but it was after the 40/85 merge.
Not hard to miss what's on the sides of the interstate when your trying to watch out for the other idiots next to you.
Cool your not in a hurry.
Hopefully we can help you get the right bus for your intentions.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:16 PM   #14
Bus Geek

I sent you a PM a few minutes ago with contact info and the seller called me the second I hit send.
A little bit of info.
Both buses are Thomas 28-passenger. He called them THOMAS 2 lane or something like that (maybe someone here can clarify that)
Both have CAT engines that he thinks are L7's
Don't know the transmission or rear gears but said they will do 70mph.
Both came from an Air Force base in SC
One has 14,000 miles and one has 21,000 miles
With those low miles you can expect sticker shock
14,000 mile bus at 17,000
And the 21,000 mile bus 16,000$
If anyone could swing it these buses haven't even been broke in yet as far as a diesel goes.
What does the rest of the forum think?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:14 PM   #15

Quote:
I sent you a PM a few minutes ago with contact info and the seller called me the second I hit send.
A little bit of info.
Both buses are Thomas 28-passenger. He called them THOMAS 2 lane or something like that (maybe someone here can clarify that)
Both have CAT engines that he thinks are L7's
Don't know the transmission or rear gears but said they will do 70mph.
Both came from an Air Force base in SC
One has 14,000 miles and one has 21,000 miles
With those low miles you can expect sticker shock
14,000 mile bus at 17,000
And the 21,000 mile bus 16,000$
If anyone could swing it these buses haven't even been broke in yet as far as a diesel goes.
What does the rest of the forum think?
Thanks for checking that out! Looks like they're a bit out of my price range tho :/ Plus I think I'd like to avoid the CAT engines after some of what I've read elsewhere on the forum. Sounds like they are more expensive to fix and more prone to breaking than the Cummins or IH engines. BUT, with the low mileage on those two I'm sure they'll last a good long while for someone

Old 01-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Thanks for checking that out! Looks like they're a bit out of my price range tho :/ Plus I think I'd like to avoid the CAT engines after some of what I've read elsewhere on the forum. Sounds like they are more expensive to fix and more prone to breaking than the Cummins or IH engines. BUT, with the low mileage on those two I'm sure they'll last a good long while for someone

A note on the CATs. There is little evidence that they are more prone to breaking, at least not the 2004 and earlier.

Indeed, they are more resistant to over-heating than are engines with wet liners.

They are more expensive to fix.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Way out of my price and with the mileage they should be going for 20$. I know there are opinions about the CATS. Some swear buy them and some hate them?
I have had many in heavy equipment that were great. There is a ton of support around here for anything CAt through GRegory POOLE if you do end up with one and I am working on a gas line and heaters for a Detroit and Allison shop where the mechanics are happy to talk in spurts. The office guys only want big money but the men in the shop are happy to talk to me cause they have never had heat and I am giving them some.
Not enough for where and what they need? What there owner bought?But better than nothing.
Next time I am there I am going to price a tranny swap from my 545 to a 643?
BloemRV seems to be happy with the upgrade after his Troubles?
I will keep my eyes open but I think mecklenburg or north will get the powertrain and a few bad body or floor metal in spots is nothing to fix.
Good luck
Old 01-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Next time I am there I am going to price a tranny swap from my 545 to a 643?
BloemRV seems to be happy with the upgrade after his Troubles?
YES! I am thrilled with the results. Drives like a different bus. Obviously sucked to have to deal with all that, but the outcome is sweet!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
YES! I am thrilled with the results. Drives like a different bus. Obviously sucked to have to deal with all that, but the outcome is sweet!

John
Better power, more mpg's, and actual engine braking... Yeah its a hell of a great upgrade!!!
Why I try to push people to upgrade or look for one without the 545.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Better power, more mpg's, and actual engine braking... Yeah its a hell of a great upgrade!!!
Why I try to push people to upgrade or look for one without the 545.
I was just about to ask what y'all thought about the 545 & the 5.9 Cummins....From the searching I've done it seems like the transit style Blue Birds seems to come with the Cummins more often that the Thomas busses I've seen, mostly CAT engines there. The Blue Birds seems to also come with the 545 most of the time too. So I gather I should keep my eyes open for something better or just factor in an eventual upgrade?