Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

Thoughts about transmissions :/

Right now I have a choice between a 1998 International 3800 with a DT466E and a 5 speed Spicer or a 1996 AmTran Genesis FE 3600 with a DT466 and an Allison MT-643.
I am inclined towards the AmTran since it has the mechanical DT466 and the MT-643 with lock-up, plus quite a bit longer.
Besides a 4 wheel drive (which I have) and a muscle car(which I just got rid of) what possible reason would I want a manual transmission? If I was going to be touring the country, I could understand the fuel savings of a manual, but if it will only occasionally be moved, I would think the auto would be more beneficial for me.

Thoughts...comments?

Bus_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Go for the auto.

The MT643 will do well.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
I'd go with the manual. They just have less to go wrong. However, id get the mechanical engine over a manual transmision any day!
Get the 466 (no E!) the mt-643 is a good transmision.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:45 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I also vote for mechanical engines over the computer controlled "E" type.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 11-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I also don't see a reason for a manual transmission. I have had this argument with my brother and uncle a couple of times. Driving a car gives you plenty to do already, driving a car in traffic doubly so. Why do you want to have to shift too.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:47 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I had to drive through Atlanta on my way home in the bus.
I'm missing 40% of my left quadriceps muscle and would have hated to have to deal with a school bus clutch.
My cars are always manuals, but big stuff is no fun to drive in traffic with one.

The 643 is an excellent transmission. Mine shifts smooth and is healthy at a quarter million miles.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #7

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
How can you drive in rush hour traffic eating a donut, drinking coffee, yapping on the phone while driving a stick? You can't. I vote mechanical engine over stick any day. I still wouldn't mind having a stick though.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
How can you drive in rush hour traffic eating a donut, drinking coffee, yapping on the phone while driving a stick? You can't. I vote Automatic transmission over stick any day. I still wouldn't mind having a stick though.
I fixed it for you.

Nat

Old 11-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
I fixed it for you.

Nat

LOL, thanks.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 11-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
If I have the choice I always go manual transmission; cars, pickups, suvs or buses. Automatics make me pissy. Especially on hills. Those gallblasted automatics never seem to shift when I damn well want them to!

But also I'm a bit of a control freak...
Old 11-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies, most of the answers are inline with what I thought or have gathered
For the majority of my life my vehicles have had manuals, so I am accustomed to them. However, like EastCoast said "big stuff is no fun to drive in traffic with one"!
I was...curious because I have seen people talk about manuals in a bus like they were double-peckered Unicorn twins and wondered if there was a reason besides personal preference.
Bus_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My cars are always manuals, but big stuff is no fun to drive in traffic with one.
I, personally, don't see any difference. Driving a larger vehicle is scary the first time all around, but you quickly adapt. Once the shift pattern becomes second nature there's no difference except that - like was mentioned before - you can't hold a coffee with your right hand You'll need to install a cup holder.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:25 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Well for one the clutch pedal on a medium duty truck or bus is USUALLY a LOT firmer and has a lot more travel than a Honda Civic's.
But as mentioned- missing about half my left thigh muscle.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:29 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Yes, I'm sure there are some old stiff clutches out there. Mine surely isn't. The clutch pedal in my bus has more travel (better leverage) than the 1995 Pathfinder, but the pressure required to bring it down to the floor is the same. Well lubricated joints make all the difference...

I have the Spicer 5-speed, btw.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:12 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Everyone needs a hobby, but pressing a clutch pedal and wiggling a stick around are not one for me. I feel like I am doing a silly square dance or some such.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Everything I own is a manual transmission.

However, driving a large diesel engine that must re spool the turbo between every gear shift sucks a$$.

The lack of usable RPM, and the having the turbo lag makes for retarded slow going.

Last year while landscaping, I watched two large motor homes pull away from a traffic light. Both units would have been around 35,000 pounds. One had a 13 speed, the other a 3000 series Allison.

The motor home with the auto 3000 series Allison transmission was so far ahead, he was slowing down for the next traffic light before the motor home with the 13 speed was even up to the speed limit of 80 kmh, leaving the first red light.

Even my 01 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 24 valve and the NV4500 5 speed standard transmission sucks to drive in stop and go traffic. I will be swapping in a 1000 series Allison automatic at some point.

My cars will always stay standard. If I had a bush truck with big tires, it would also be a standard.

Nat

Old 11-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Everything I own is a manual transmission.

However, driving a large diesel engine that must re spool the turbo between every gear shift sucks a$$.

The lack of usable RPM, and the having the turbo lag makes for retarded slow going.

Last year while landscaping, I watched two large motor homes pull away from a traffic light. Both units would have been around 35,000 pounds. One had a 13 speed, the other a 3000 series Allison.

The motor home with the auto 3000 series Allison transmission was so far ahead, he was slowing down for the next traffic light before the motor home with the 13 speed was even up to the speed limit of 80 kmh, leaving the first red light.

Even my 01 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 24 valve and the NV4500 5 speed standard transmission sucks to drive in stop and go traffic. I will be swapping in a 1000 series Allison automatic at some point.

My cars will always stay standard. If I had a bush truck with big tires, it would also be a standard.

Nat
Old 11-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Well for one the clutch pedal on a medium duty truck or bus is USUALLY a LOT firmer and has a lot more travel than a Honda Civic's.
But as mentioned- missing about half my left thigh muscle.

This makes me laugh because it reminds me of a time that I had a mobile mix concrete truck. It had a 410hp Mercedes engine with an Auto-shift 10 speed transmission. Basically a 10 speed manual with solenoids to do the shifting but you still had to use a clutch to start and stop. One time while I was getting a PM service at the dealer, I complained about how stiff the clutch pedal was. The service writer told me to man up. After I was done hurling expletives at the service writer, I made him climb in the truck and I told him to hold the peddle down for 2 minutes. After about 15 seconds, he let go and said, "wow, it is kind of stiff." Douche bag! They didn't have a solution to my problem.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 11-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:

^ If ever there was a reason for me to get an automatic, that would be the one. I remember reading that one of the larger, diesel VW SUVs got better fuel economy than the manual transmission version due to the transmission keeping the turbo spooled. I wouldn't expect to see fuel efficiency gains in a bus with an automatic, but the acceleration could certainly be better than a manual.

Do many people out there in bus land notice their transmissions keeping the engine in that turbo sweet spot between shifts?
Old 11-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #20
Bus Geek

I've not thought about that, but yeah my bus does stay spooled up pretty well. 1st to 2nd is awesome. It feels almost as rewarding as really shifting, in an odd sort of way.