Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #1

To buy or not to buy? 2001 Amtran low oil pressure

Hello all! So I'm lookin to buy a bus and I found a 2001 International Amtran RE T444E 109,000ish miles on it selling from a dealer for $7,500.00. I went to look at it and its huge! and in really nice shape fresh out of the school system...I wanted more info on it so I contacted the county and gave them the VIN and they said that, when they parted with it, it had low oil pressure probably from a thrust bearing going bad and so the crank shaft and bearing would need to be replaced. They also said that it had to be towed off the lot because of a rear axle seal leak, and that was this past January 2013. I know that the bus is currently running because we drove it around the lot...does that mean that the axle has been repaired? I've shared this information with the dealer and am awaiting a response but I wanted to compare his thoughts with everyone here!
Now I'm new to this so I have no idea how serious or how common these problems are, so any information, opinion, advice will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!

Vile Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: To buy or not to buy? 2001 Amtran low oil pressure

I bought my bus directly from the school district for $2000 at online auction, spoke with the bus barn guys etc. This site is full of helpful people who may be aware of a bus that might be a great deal. If you were to tell us a bit about what you are looking for and where you are looking at some of us might be able to point you towards a better deal than you currently see. I would not buy from a dealer, but that may just be me.
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

Dealers have a large markup. I got a 1999 Thomas straight from school district and paid $2600.00. I even got the maintenance records for the bus. You can do a lot with that $5000.00 extra.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I might be willing to pay that much for the bus if it was in perfect condition, but with what amounts to a major engine overhaul needed, I would not pay that much. Really, I just wouldn't buy it period.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
Bus Geek

That is way too much money for that bus, esp. with known issues
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #6

okay well how about this...the dealer responded and says that there is no way that the school district told me about the right bus bc this bus doesn't have those problems and is in great shape...the dealer also says that after a final recheck, if any of those problems suddenly turn up then they will be fixed before me driving it off of the lot.

i would also not buy a bus for this much unless i knew it was in perfect condition...the dealer says it is and the school district says it wasn't when it left them...perhaps its been repaired. this is a tough decision for me...I've been really sold on it for a while now and calling the school was the last step for me. It would be very frustrating to start all over again
Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Walk away!

There is a vested interest in the "Dealer" telling you whatever he needs to. The school district on the other hand has already made their money on the bus. I'd believe the bus mechanics.
I understand how time consuming it is to find the right bus, but believe me and the other bus owners on this board, you will want to find the best bus you can for the least amount of money. $7500 is way too much money to spend on a school bus. Cut that dollar figure in half and look for a mid 90s bus. I'd even recommend a fly and drive if you found the right bus.
Don't worry, you'll get to spend all $7500 of your dollars, just don't do it on the purchase price. Good luck.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Bus Nut

I understand where you are coming from. I thought I had found the bus back in March from a dealer for $7,500.00. When I looked at it in more detail, I found that the air pressure took more than 3 mins to get to 90 psi. That would fail inspection. Also found a fuel leak around the injectors, they said just need to tighten, but could see where it had leaked for quite a while. I just kept find other small things and they would not come down in price.

It was hard to walk away; I almost went back for it.

I had to wait until July to get the bus I have now, and not one thing wrong with it. The school district just did an oil and filter change and I got a full tank of gas because they always fill before summer break, that way they are ready for the next year.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by syke
...$7500 is way too much money to spend on a school bus. Cut that dollar figure in half and look for a mid 90s bus...
Syke makes a very good point here. If you get a bus that is just a few years older, but has similar mileage, you can get it for half that price. I understand your position, and I paid through the nose to get my bus from a dealer because I was looking for something very specific. But even then, I paid about half your listed price for my 1996 bus with 165,000 miles. I could have gotten it for $1,000 less than what I paid if I could have found one at an auction or private party, but I may never have found what I wanted. So it's a trade-off between opportunity, timing, and ideal specifications. But, $7,500 is really on the very high end for that bus in perfect condition. Also, I think AmTran buses tend to go cheaper than Bluebird and Thomas, etc., so I think it may be one of the lesser quality bodies. Don't take my word on that though, I base that statement on hazy memory. But still, you might want to do a bit more research.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E

Like everyone else said. Too much money, especially for that engine. Buy direct from a school district!
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Bus Geek

where are you?

There are several at my local school system for sale right now for a lot less $$
Old 08-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #12

I'm in VA. It seems difficult to pick out a bus on my own from a school system when I know so little about buses at the moment. I've done lots and lots of research but I still would like the confirmation from an expert that a certain bus is going to last me a long time...especially for my first bus. I am willing to pay more money for that confirmation in hopes that the extra money up front would keep me from spending less money in repairs down the road and give me a longer bus life. I don't think that this dealer would send me off with a bad bus because it would make him look bad...its hard to know who to listen to right now my brain hurts...I just keep see sawing back and forth on what to do. Thank you everyone for your input.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
Bus Geek

PM SENT
Old 08-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile Whale
I'm in VA. It seems difficult to pick out a bus on my own from a school system when I know so little about buses at the moment. I've done lots and lots of research but I still would like the confirmation from an expert that a certain bus is going to last me a long time...especially for my first bus. I am willing to pay more money for that confirmation in hopes that the extra money up front would keep me from spending less money in repairs down the road and give me a longer bus life. I don't think that this dealer would send me off with a bad bus because it would make him look bad...its hard to know who to listen to right now my brain hurts...I just keep see sawing back and forth on what to do. Thank you everyone for your input.
You will get better info from the school maintenance people then you will from the bus dealer. The school maintenance people are very friendly and helpful. They seem interested that the bus is going to be used as an RV.

I'm next door in Maryland. I still talk to the manager to get info on my bus.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 08-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Hopefully you got the message, but I am 100% a car guy...

There are very few things that will make me walk away from a deal. Low oil pressure is one. Seriously. Unless I can hear the connecting rod hammering while it runs I just won't buy something with low oil pressure.

Have you priced out removing your engine, buying a crankshaft, buying bearings, getting it all installed, and getting the engine put back in the chassis? Good, now be realistic and price out removing the engine, dismantling it, washing it, getting it line honed, buying a crank and bearings, getting the engine re-assembled, getting the engine dyno tested to verify the repair, and getting the engine re-installed in the chassis. Don't forget the misc. stuff like gaskets, fluids, etc.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile Whale
...the dealer also says that after a final recheck, if any of those problems suddenly turn up then they will be fixed before me driving it off of the lot. . . . .
And as soon as you make it to the next intersection, you're on your own.

Run away! Run away! Run away!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Best not to buy a "pig in a poke" search more for a sounder bus they are out there and cheaper, as in cost less.

Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Amtran low oil pressure, maybe

Most buses use an electric powered 12volt oil gage. After many, many years, the sending unit is almost always the defective part.
Go to any parts place and buy a 12 inch brake hose with 1/8th male pipe threads at each end. Also buy a 100 psi oil gage and a 1/8th
pipe coupling. Install all parts together and go to the place where bus can be seen. Ask nicely to remove sending unit and install the hose and gage. In less than one half hour, the oil pressure will be known to all. Usually oil pressure is at a high number when cold so allowing the engine to warm up is also good. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E

Better yet, push your luck and grab an oil sample!
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:13 AM   #20
Almost There

Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

What was the outcome of this thread?? Did you buy the bus, or wait for something better??
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote