Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Today was a good day

Today I was able to finish assembling my BB/Int bus with a 444cuin/7.3l engine. The engine has been in pieces for about 9 months. I found the worst machine shop in my town. I lost a rear heater hose coming up out of SLC, Ut., and the engine got very hot. After paying about $1500 tow charge, the BB was home.
The machine work was to cost about $600 cost near $2000 after finding some used heads. But, today the engine made noise and runs nicely. There are a few more tasks but I'm ready to take a drive. Today was almost 70 degrees and monday is supposed to be 42 degrees. Best to all, Frank

frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ford
Engine: 6.6 Ford
Rated Cap: 3
Re: Today was a good day

That's a big relief and excitement when you hear a first fire up.
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Today was a good day

" After paying about $1500 tow charge, the BB was home."

Sounds like a good time to look into Coach-Net or GoodSams breakdown insurance. I can't for the world figure out how a tow company can in good concise charge those kinda fees. Even if they charge $2.00 a mile for the round trip that's only $800, + a hook up fee of maybe 75$, your still looking at less the $900 for a 200 mile tow. Those ripoff businesses is the only reason I get leery about going RVing.

I sometimes think I should fix up tow buses, one for travel, the other to go get my travel RV in case it breaks down. Those greedy tow/shops/businesses hurt everyone including themselves, and there too money hungry to realize it.

Rant over. Glad to hear your home safe and sound.
kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Bus Nut

My BB was towed just 102 miles one way..

Most tow companies never have repeat customers. They recognize a opportunity to make some big money. I have had several roadside memberships in the past. With each policy, there are many small print requirements. After many years of no use, I allowed the insurance to lapse. My liability insurance is carried by another company in my town. My wife of 51 years, did not want to be in the broken bus for the ride home. She says she is too old for the trip and too nervous. The BB was located at a road rest stop, and the rear ujoint disconnected and tied up. I also have a GMC flatbed with a 3208, that has been used to tow other buses in the past. Boy, it is getting cold here at 42 degrees. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote