Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDarcy11 View Post
Dave, if we do tow I was just planning to do a flat tow. It seems like the most straightforward since I haven't done much towing in my day. Do I still need all the assisted braking mechanisms if that's the case?
Do the tow dolly thing. For flat towing you need the adaptor to connect to the front of the vehicle and some remote brake lights. Not all vehicles can be flat towed so check on that.

For a dolly all you really need is the trailer hitch and dolly and maybe some remote brake lights. Rent one from U-haul for one way.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #22
Almost There

Year: 2002
Engine: T444E/Allison 2000
Well just came across a pretty big problem... My 2011 4runner is 4WD and according to the owners manual can't be towed.... Man this is getting more and more complicated. I'm worried that if I put it on a flat bed trailer and try to tow it that will be too much stress on the T444e/Allison 2000. Plus the hitch I was looking at is only rated for 6000 lbs. Any ideas guys?!
KevinDarcy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Rent you a car trailer from UHaul (assuming this is a one-time gig); they aren't all that heavy. It and the 4Runner combined should be under 6K.

The engine and trans will handle it. 30 high-school kids would weigh close to that.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
I’m sure that Forerunner can be towed, just not flat towed. Rent a dolly, disconnect the rear driveshaft to the differential and boom, you’re towin’. Or you could rent the tow dolly and get the tiny wheel dollies tow truck operators use to get repos from people. Then there’s renting a flat trailer one way as well. So many options! But regarding towing many times the manufacturers will put that in to cover liability of an owner who destroyed their vehicle by doing something seemingly harmless. My LR Discovery 2 is perma-4wd and you can flat tow it, but you can’t lift one side and tow. Strange sometimes the way manufacturers design things.
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:48 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
From the U-Haul site - https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Auto-...ort-Rental/AT/
Empty they weigh 2200 lbs, but they come with surge brakes so no need for a brake controller on the bus. Given the weight of the 4runner and trailer, you'll be a bit over 6000lbs. As stated before, no jack rabbit starts/stops and you'll be fine.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
extra 6000 lbs on a 444E? while I dont think you'll ruin the engine... the poor thing is going to struggle in the hills... up and down... the V-8 diesels dont have as much engine braking as their I6 counterparts..

also not sure id want 6000 lbs behind me on surge brakes.. you get that starting to sway and Id want peace of mind that being able to shoot a pulse or 2 at the electric brakes and quiet things down...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Well just came across a pretty big problem... My 2011 4runner is 4WD and according to the owners manual can't be towed.... Man this is getting more and more complicated. I'm worried that if I put it on a flat bed trailer and try to tow it that will be too much stress on the T444e/Allison 2000. Plus the hitch I was looking at is only rated for 6000 lbs. Any ideas guys?!
Pulling it on a flatbed won't hurt your bus. My 4x4 full size truck was just towed down on a flatbed trailer with another full size pickup on the trailer... pulled by a pickup truck.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I did a bit of poking around looking for info and found this discussion: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-g...w-trailer.html

It looks to me like your options are dolly like Wargear suggested or trailer like CB suggested.

If you want a toad for extended travels, the 4runner may not be the best choice.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #29
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
If the purpose is to relocate the car one time then I would not recommend spending the time and money to set up for flat towing. I would rent a tow dolly.

If you want to take the car with you when you go on the road with the bus then setting up for flat towing is (IMHO) the best way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I did a bit of poking around looking for info and found this discussion: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-g...w-trailer.html

It looks to me like your options are dolly like Wargear suggested or trailer like CB suggested.

If you want a toad for extended travels, the 4runner may not be the best choice.
Yeah I think I need to get rid of this thing. I love it but it's just not practical anymore. Do you have suggestions for any 4WD/AWD vehicles outside of jeeps that can be flat towed?
Old 04-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Yeah I think I need to get rid of this thing. I love it but it's just not practical anymore. Do you have suggestions for any 4WD/AWD vehicles outside of jeeps that can be flat towed?
Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for 4wd toads. All of mine have been 2wd.

These folks are a wealth of information: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...s/forum/31.cfm
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #31
Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
Land Rover Discovery 1 and 2 can be flat towed. I’ve read that the newer Ford Explorers can be but you have to put them into a certain “mode”. So can some full size/midsize 4wd pickups like the F-150 and Colorado. Most manufacturers don’t allow for flat towing mainly because of the wear and tear flat towing will put on an automatic transmission. Lubricant is not being pumped under pressure throughout the trans while the output shaft is still being rotated, therefore resulting in damage/wear and tear over time. Some manufacturers have guidance for emergency or recovery towing but not usually extended (read: hundreds of miles or more) towing. A manual or 4WD with a transfercase with a true Neutral position would do nicely for the most part.
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
What is your other vehicle? You could possible rent a tow dolly and tow your other car with the 4Runner?
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #33
Almost There

AWD Ford Escape
Old 04-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #34
Skoolie

Quote:
AWD Ford Escape
Well **** that can’t be tow dollied. Would have to get a trailer.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #35
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARGEAR View Post
Land Rover Discovery 1 and 2 can be flat towed. I’ve read that the newer Ford Explorers can be but you have to put them into a certain “mode”. So can some full size/midsize 4wd pickups like the F-150 and Colorado. Most manufacturers don’t allow for flat towing mainly because of the wear and tear flat towing will put on an automatic transmission. Lubricant is not being pumped under pressure throughout the trans while the output shaft is still being rotated, therefore resulting in damage/wear and tear over time. Some manufacturers have guidance for emergency or recovery towing but not usually extended (read: hundreds of miles or more) towing. A manual or 4WD with a transfercase with a true Neutral position would do nicely for the most part.

My 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 can be flat towed. It has a button by the 4WD selector that puts the transfer case in neutral, the transmission is then left in park. The same thing for my wife’s 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

We have figured out which modern cars can and can’t be towed by endless research for the fact that we want a toad.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #36
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by consti2tion View Post
My 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 can be flat towed. It has a button by the 4WD selector that puts the transfer case in neutral, the transmission is then left in park. The same thing for my wife’s 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

We have figured out which modern cars can and can’t be towed by endless research for the fact that we want a toad.
Yeah I really need to find something that I can tow because this will continually be an issue. We will be living in NW Montana for the time being so 4WD or AWD is a requirement. If you have a list of suitable cars/trucks that you have laying around I'd love to take a peek!
Old 04-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #37
Skoolie

Quote:
Yeah I really need to find something that I can tow because this will continually be an issue. We will be living in NW Montana for the time being so 4WD or AWD is a requirement. If you have a list of suitable cars/trucks that you have laying around I'd love to take a peek!

What year range would you be looking at? A lot of vehicles require a manual transmission but there are quite a few that can be automatics.

Here are the items we are purchasing or have purchased for our dinghy/toad

This is the auxiliary brake control we are going with. I don't like the idea of the other brake controller's that have a unit that you have to remove and install in the floorboard. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Here is the breakaway brake device.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Here is the towbar we purchased. The towbar you may need depending on the vehicle could have less or more weight capacity.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will need to figure out what light connection system you need depending on the vehicle your purchase.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #38
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by consti2tion View Post
What year range would you be looking at? A lot of vehicles require a manual transmission but there are quite a few that can be automatics.

Here are the items we are purchasing or have purchased for our dinghy/toad

This is the auxiliary brake control we are going with. I don't like the idea of the other brake controller's that have a unit that you have to remove and install in the floorboard. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Here is the breakaway brake device.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Here is the towbar we purchased. The towbar you may need depending on the vehicle could have less or more weight capacity.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will need to figure out what light connection system you need depending on the vehicle your purchase.

Well my current vehicle is a 2011 so probably that or newer. I have some equity built into it at this point and wouldn't mind trading for something with less monthly payments lol.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #39
Skoolie

Most of the modern Grand cherokee’s That are 4wd are capable of being flat towed. Just be sure that it has the transfer case that can be put into neutral. There is a tiny button on the 4wd selector that will reveal this. Also I believe all of the 4wd with a “lo” range on the selector will be towable. Some of the Ford SUV’s can be flat towed as well, as mentioned earlier I believe.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #40
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 6.4 liter Mercedes MBE 900
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
Many states require a supplemental braking system for anything towed.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote