Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2019, 04:56 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

I just towed a jeep cherokee on a tow dolly with a buick park ave from NY to Colo. Transfer case in neutral No problems at all.

ddcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Get a bigger/better hitch (class V) and a 7000lb trailer (2 - 3500 lb. GVW axles - common car hauler size) or bigger with electric brakes on both axles and new tires. If buying used, be sure to grease the wheel bearings.

Have a brake controller installed in the bus. Having brakes on the towed vehicle is always a good idea and like cadillackid said, you can always manually, lightly, "pulse"/apply the electric trailer brakes independently to help regain control of the trailer or help slow the rig going downhill (think dragging an anchor).

Spend the money on a sway stabilizer. Its worth it. Check out the trailer overturn accidents on youtube if you need convincing. One towing problem with a large tow truck - small trailer combo, is that you can't see the narrower towed vehicle in your mirrors (the extra width - usually 8-8.5 ft - of the trailer comes in handy here.) and the truck has so much weight that you can't feel it fish tailing until it is too late. Make sure that the 4x4 is chained/strapped down good. Keep the speed down .... unless you are in a hurry to die.

For the biginner - load the trailer evenly side to side and slightly heavier in the front to help mitigate fish tailing, too much weight in the rear guarantees fish tailing. Stop periodicly and check the trailer tires, the hitch connection ^ safety chains are still good, lights are working, and that the straps/ chains haven't loosened. Keep the speed down. MAKE SURE THAT THE TIRES ARE THE SAME SIZE AND IN GOOD CONDITION. On a tandem axle trailer, if one tire blows all of the weight is suddenly transferred to the remaining tire on that side and it may blow also. Been there, done that several times (have even blowed out all 4 tires once - my fault - overloaded). If a tire blows on either the towed or towing vehicle, gently pull over and stop. Do not jam on the brakes or swerve over to the shoulder. Remember that the trailers weight is pushing the bus. This is one of the main contributers to over turning the trailer or the towing vehicle (in the case of lighter vehicles) When you swerve over suddenly the vehicles are no longer aligned in a straight line and the trailer is pushing the rear end of the bus sideways and the hitch is causing the trailer to try torque/flip/spin along its long axis. Analyse some of the youtube turnovers and you will see this behaviour repeatedly. Combined with going too fast it becomes a disastor with or without a blown tire. Again - keep the speed down and just get there.

You have the same problems "flat" towing the 4x4, except you don't have the trailers brakes or the stability caused by the trailers extra width.

Why wear out the suspension and expensive tires on your 4x4 by towing it? Also, if you change towed vehicles you are all ready set up and if you need to haul something else later (cargo, small tractor, trash to the dump, etc.), then you are set up for that too. In addition you can also sell the trailer afterwards if needed, maybe even make a profit (or just rent one). The hitch will also add value to the bus.

PS. other possible solutions are load the 4x4 into the bus or have someone drive it to MT.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDarcy11 View Post
Yeah I think I need to get rid of this thing. I love it but it's just not practical anymore. Do you have suggestions for any 4WD/AWD vehicles outside of jeeps that can be flat towed?
I did until you said outside of jeep, I kept my 2005 liberty specifically because I can flat tow iron a blue ox tow bar.
Napabavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Int.
Rated Cap: Depends on gender
Where in VT are you from? I'm doing a bus build project in Troy, 5 miles from the Canadian border. Jay Peak Resort 6 miles behind us...
Compass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1981
Coachwork: International
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360 international
Rated Cap: 77
You will never know the toad is back there really, the biggest problem isn’t weight so much as wind resistance. Once the mass is moving just like a train the momentium keeps you in motion. I tow a 1 ton truck behind my motor home with a DT360 300hp and a Mt654. I never know its back there until you hit bumps in the highway and you feel the secondary jerking from the truck hitting the bumps.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I flat-tow a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek. Any manual Subaru can be flat-towed. I would think most, if not all, manual vehicles can be flat towed in neutral with the wheel lock off (I have to have the key turned to ACC.) - but research any car you consider.
The 4-Runner is a great car. If you are thinking of selling it - you may want to wait and just buy a car once you get out to Montana.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_c16.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	31876

Quote:
Yeah I think I need to get rid of this thing. I love it but it's just not practical anymore. Do you have suggestions for any 4WD/AWD vehicles outside of jeeps that can be flat towed?
Old 04-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I flat-tow a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek. Any manual Subaru can be flat-towed. I would think most, if not all, manual vehicles can be flat towed in neutral with the wheel lock off (I have to have the key turned to ACC.) - but research any car you consider.
The 4-Runner is a great car. If you are thinking of selling it - you may want to wait and just buy a car once you get out to Montana.

Attachment 31876
Just had to have a new clutch and associated parts on our Crosstrek. Only 68k miles and it was toast.

Bout to put new tires on, tell your buddies I've got one with new everything. 10k obo. No reasonable offer refused. Comes with extra oil.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:06 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Just had to have a new clutch and associated parts on our Crosstrek. Only 68k miles and it was toast.

Bout to put new tires on, tell your buddies I've got one with new everything. 10k obo. No reasonable offer refused. Comes with extra oil.

That’s awful about your Crosstrek - I have been happy with mine - but I did have a 2012 Outback that blew the engine at 8k miles. I’d like to just get an old VW beetle and carry a spare engine with me. [emoji51]
Old 04-29-2019, 05:56 AM   #49
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:
That’s awful about your Crosstrek - I have been happy with mine - but I did have a 2012 Outback that blew the engine at 8k miles. I’d like to just get an old VW beetle and carry a spare engine with me. [emoji51]
You could swap out an engine on an old Beetle in less than 5 hours on the side of the road with minimal tools and minimal help.
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:45 AM   #50
Almost There

Year: 2002
Engine: T444E/Allison 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass View Post
Where in VT are you from? I'm doing a bus build project in Troy, 5 miles from the Canadian border. Jay Peak Resort 6 miles behind us...
We live in Burlington but are hitting the road to MT in a week! We decided to just leave the wife's car at the in-laws. Going to sell it and get her a new one once we're out there.
KevinDarcy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:14 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Where in MT you headed? I work out at Glacier National Park on the East side...

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Quote:
We live in Burlington but are hitting the road to MT in a week! We decided to just leave the wife's car at the in-laws. Going to sell it and get her a new one once we're out there.

Let me know if you stop be Helena!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Christopher~
Which scanner would you recommend over the other? Just Googled 'em, about the same price.
Not to sound rascist, but I like the idea of the Bluetooth display. Looks much cooler than a black box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
get yourself a Scangauge D or if you have an android / windows / iPad(iphone). you can get a Bluefire. that reads data from the diagnostic port and can display the gauges.. typically those gauges freeze.. so you notice your RPM and speed right away but it usually also freezes the temp/oil/volts. as well. ..

-Christopher
Part of my BEL during my Westphalia daze was a short block, spare head, and one jug & piston!
That dang #3, doncha know...
Quote:
Yup, I can confirm that!
No air-coolers no mo', but still have my Sears 2 ton floor jack. The saddle fits perfectly around the oil strainer cover.
Swapping transaxles was more tippy and tenuous...
Quote:
Originally Posted by consti2tion View Post
You could swap out an engine on an old Beetle in less than 5 hours on the side of the road with minimal tools and minimal help.