Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Hard to say. Big trucks are designed to be driven this way (I do this as a profession), I never use the clutch except to start/stop. What will do damage is heavy abuse - excessive slipping, over-revving the clutch (usually done by dropping into too low of a gear at speed), and "popping" the clutch (commonly done to squeal the tires in cars & pickups). I'm going on the assumption that the bus was started/stopped each time it was necessary to stop in traffic and "rev-matching" was done to shift gears.

over-revving the clutch is a real issue and not just big trucks.. was out a couple years ago with a group of Jeepers.. we were climbing some pretty steep stuff ..and a bit scary.. so most of us were in Low range and first gear so we never had to press the clutch on the uphill.. we could creep if needbe.. once at the top there was a nice little downhill into a nice flat.. yeah 2.. TWO! different guys just pressed the clutch at the top of the hill and let the jeeps coast down .. that was TWO EXPLODED CLUTCHES on the trail that day ....and yeah they EXPLODE and GRENADE.. one guys actually busted up his bell..
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:26 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
You can try calling these guys they have never let me down.

Bert Williams & Sons, Inc.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Hard to say. Big trucks are designed to be driven this way (I do this as a profession), I never use the clutch except to start/stop. What will do damage is heavy abuse - excessive slipping, over-revving the clutch (usually done by dropping into too low of a gear at speed), and "popping" the clutch (commonly done to squeal the tires in cars & pickups). I'm going on the assumption that the bus was started/stopped each time it was necessary to stop in traffic and "rev-matching" was done to shift gears.
Yeah I hope he treated it well he seemed to know how to drive it really well, he owned it for 8 years and it's been to burning man 6 times in the 8 years he had it.
But in a big truck you really don't use the clutch very much? I did not know that.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk
pearldovelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Many newer trucks have "automatics" which are not really Allison-type transmissions. They are more correctly described as auto-clutch, auto-shift 10-speed manuals. There's no clutch pedal, there's no gearshift lever. There's simply "R", "N", "D", and "L" (and usually some way to have it upshift/downshift). The computer handles the gadgets that make it all work, and when using the engine brake (with your foot off the fuel) it will maintain whatever gear it is in (necessary when descending a hill). In a similar manner, the computer only uses the clutch to start and stop and does rev-matching for the rest.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:57 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
My smart car had such a transmission in it.. even felt like a stick shift being shifted.
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:37 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Many newer trucks have "automatics" which are not really Allison-type transmissions. They are more correctly described as auto-clutch, auto-shift 10-speed manuals. There's no clutch pedal, there's no gearshift lever. There's simply "R", "N", "D", and "L" (and usually some way to have it upshift/downshift). The computer handles the gadgets that make it all work, and when using the engine brake (with your foot off the fuel) it will maintain whatever gear it is in (necessary when descending a hill). In a similar manner, the computer only uses the clutch to start and stop and does rev-matching for the rest.
Okay well that's good to know I think I'm on may way to having everything done to be on the road in just a couple more weeks as long as everything goes as planned this week that is the clutch was working we moved it to another property so we could have more time to get it worked on. And my mechanic is coming on Thursday he thinks all there's left to do to make it work is adjust or maybe replace the rod the goes from the slave cylinder to the fork.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:40 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
over-revving the clutch is a real issue and not just big trucks.. was out a couple years ago with a group of Jeepers.. we were climbing some pretty steep stuff ..and a bit scary.. so most of us were in Low range and first gear so we never had to press the clutch on the uphill.. we could creep if needbe.. once at the top there was a nice little downhill into a nice flat.. yeah 2.. TWO! different guys just pressed the clutch at the top of the hill and let the jeeps coast down .. that was TWO EXPLODED CLUTCHES on the trail that day ....and yeah they EXPLODE and GRENADE.. one guys actually busted up his bell..
-Christopher
That's crazy I can't say I've ever expierenced anything like that. We replaced the clutch in our subaru a couple months ago because it started slipping. But that sounds scary for sure.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

~Update~
The clutch is fixed! Brand new clutch aND it works great. But now I'm working on the breaks all the wheel cylinders were leaking so we a rebuilding those and we got the shoes re-shoed and the mechanic should be out to finish it in a couple days and we will finally be on our way! Just 4000 dallors later but not to bad considering labor and parts.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Progress!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk