Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 07:15 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC bus
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 35C24A
Urgent: Trouble reconnecting batteries after painting battery box

So I thought I was so smart to take a photo of the cable arrangement before disconnecting my bus batteries to paint the battery box... except my photo turned out to be too dark to make out the back negative connections well.

So no problem reconnecting the main harness that runs to all the terminals. It first goes to the positive terminal of the right most battery, and from there to all the terminals. But...
I also have a thick positive cable and a thick negative cable with single terminal connectors at the ends. I know the positive goes on the right most battery positive terminal. The negative is where I am having problems. Does this go on the right most battery as well? Or does it go on the left most battery? My memory wants to say that it goes on the left most battery however I cant see any sign of it in the photo as being there and the cable seems not to want the go there so I have it hooked to the right most negative terminal for now.
Anyone have a better idea before I have to start the bus tomorrow morning???

Tyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:18 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Just subtract two batteries from this pic and it shows how to wire the batteries.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Skoolie

I have more cables than that and just want to be super sure.
Maybe these will help explain...

The harness is full color and the extra positive and negative cables are faded. The black one is the one I am unsure about. What are the single positive and negative cables?

Here is the photo of what I have... You cannot see the single negative in the back that I am trying to figure out but it may give an idea of the rest of the wiring.

Can anyone confirm or correct the placement of that single negative cable?
Old 07-30-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
Skoolie

So I have started the bus to move it and nothing exploded... yay!
But I am still looking to confirm which battery that negative cable should connect to.
I am thinking that those single terminal positive and negative cables could be from the alternator so I may or may not be charging all of the batteries the way it is connected.
Anyone?
Old 07-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyania View Post
So I have started the bus to move it and nothing exploded... yay!
But I am still looking to confirm which battery that negative cable should connect to.
I am thinking that those single terminal positive and negative cables could be from the alternator so I may or may not be charging all of the batteries the way it is connected.
Anyone?
The pics are the same, look again.

You just run a lead to a positive terminal then a jumper from that to the next positive terminal. Then the same for the negative terminals.
The smaller wires on + and - are to power something that's hardwired to work aside from when the key is in the on position.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyania View Post
...except my photo turned out to be too dark to make out the back negative connections well...
I may be able to recover the image if you want (I retouch photos). Post it here, I'll lighten it if I can, and I'll post it back.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote