Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #41
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
Why do you think the 5.9 is under powered?? That's a great motor if everything is set right. Get the specs on your specific motor. Is it governed? Is the fuel getting to it like it should? Is your turbo working correctly? And what transmission is it tied to? The transmission along with rear end gearing will make a world of a difference.

jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:31 AM   #42
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburke77502 View Post
Why do you think the 5.9 is under powered?? That's a great motor if everything is set right. Get the specs on your specific motor. Is it governed? Is the fuel getting to it like it should? Is your turbo working correctly? And what transmission is it tied to? The transmission along with rear end gearing will make a world of a difference.
The vast majority of 5.9L/6BT/ISB motors were rated at 190-210 HP. For a route bus you couldn't ask for anything better. Plenty of power to do routes around town. But when it comes to trying to go highway speed you run out of go pretty quickly.

Even the 250 HP engines have to work a LOT in order to keep up with a 8.3L/6CT/ISC engine because the bigger engine has about half again as much torque.

Exacerbating the problem is that the vast majority of the little engine were paired to the AT540. Since it doesn't normally have lock up in any gear it will tend to get pretty warm pulling hills and have virtually no hold back in any gear when going down the other side of the hill.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:43 AM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Ford E450, Collins 20 Passenger
Engine: Ford 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburke77502 View Post
Hey Jim,

I think it’s hnderpowered for two reasons. One, I read that it was so I regurgitated that, in all honesty.

Two, when I drove the thing home, and I’m in the southeast coastal plains of NC, I could barely keep it at 55 when I started climbing the tiniest of hills. It could cruise 55 on flats no problem, though. Heck, I even got it up to 64 at one point.

The governor isn’t affecting the highway power, to my knowledge. I believe it’s the gearing mostly when it comes to cruising speed. I’d be afraid to take this thing back to Montana with me and have to climb even a modest hill out there.
spmccormick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Ford E450, Collins 20 Passenger
Engine: Ford 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadusa View Post
Love my hydraulic brakes
I would have no problem owning a bus with hydraulic brakes. Once again, it is the Lucas Gerling model I don’t want to deal with.
spmccormick85 is offline   Reply With Quote