Old 04-14-2017, 07:03 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Where is my ECM?

So, I have an ABS light on. The school guy sent me 2 PDFs (EC-17 and EC-30). I believe I saw something in the FSM that said I have the EC-17. The pdf from the bus guy shows the ECM on the brakes. I was looking under the dash, panel box, and engine compartment. I haven't seen anything with LED lights yet. But I didn't get under the bus yet.

He said the wheel sensors are usually what go out. Am I going to have to take the wheel off to get at it? That would seriously suck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EC-17 BW1982.pdf (1.73 MB, 7 views)
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
So, I have an ABS light on. The school guy sent me 2 PDFs (EC-17 and EC-30). I believe I saw something in the FSM that said I have the EC-17. The pdf from the bus guy shows the ECM on the brakes. I was looking under the dash, panel box, and engine compartment. I haven't seen anything with LED lights yet. But I didn't get under the bus yet.

He said the wheel sensors are usually what go out. Am I going to have to take the wheel off to get at it? That would seriously suck.
Yeah, if it's anything like a passenger car there is a "gear" on the hub that has a magnetic sensor that reads the bumps on the "gear"
So it's usually behind the brake rotors/drums.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:09 AM   #3
Skoolie

I've seen the wheel sensors (magnet) just collect a bunch of junk (Grease and flakes of metal) causing it not to read properly. It may be as simple just cleaning it. It may not be the cause, but start with the simple right.

Yes, you may have to pull your wheel off to get to it the best. While your wheel is off check your brakes for wear. Heck take a photo for reference.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrembly View Post
I've seen the wheel sensors (magnet) just collect a bunch of junk (Grease and flakes of metal) causing it not to read properly. It may be as simple just cleaning it. It may not be the cause, but start with the simple right.
Yeah, was going to start with the lights to see which wheel is reading bad. Then inspect for missing teeth. If they were dirty I'd clean them. As the light is on even when sitting I'm guessing it's a bad sensor or wire and not a missing tooth.

Quote:
Yes, you may have to pull your wheel off to get to it the best. While your wheel is off check your brakes for wear. Heck take a photo for reference.
You gotta be shitting me!! Maybe it was in the operator's manual but I think I read that the lugnuts are torqued to 450~500lb/ft. I have an 18" breaker bar and 205 lbs of a$$. Physics says I'm screwed!! I do have a compressor and a 650 impact gun. Looks like I'll be running that puppy at the 100~120 PSI range.

So what size are my lugnuts? 1 1/4" was too big, 27mm too small. I'm guessing 1 1/8".
Old 04-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Should be in the rear above the driveshaft. Matter of fact, that is where it shows it on the pdf you attached. I've seen the tone wheel fill up with brake dust/rust and cause what you describe.

Do some diagnostics before you just start tearing into anything though, its not that hard, just follow the page you attached.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:37 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Should be in the rear above the driveshaft. Matter of fact, that is where it shows it on the pdf you attached. I've seen the tone wheel fill up with brake dust/rust and cause what you describe.
Also shows a semi so... I couldn't attach the FSM pdf since the brake section is 4Mb.

Quote:
Do some diagnostics before you just start tearing into anything though, its not that hard, just follow the page you attached.
Regardless of brakes, I want the tools to change a tire on the road. I need some 3/4" drive tools, impact sockets, and a MUCH longer breaker bar. Rally Kid (co-worker) looked up a torque multiplier. I'm going to have to look into those.

I don't like spending money but for tools it's not so bad.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:39 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Also shows a semi so... I couldn't attach the FSM pdf since the brake section is 4Mb.

Regardless of brakes, I want the tools to change a tire on the road. I need some 3/4" drive tools, impact sockets, and a MUCH longer breaker bar. Rally Kid (co-worker) looked up a torque multiplier. I'm going to have to look into those.

I don't like spending money but for tools it's not so bad.
Torque multiplier tool does work. Have used it before. I don't trust it to not OVERTORQUE the wheel going back on lol.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
Yeah, if it's anything like a passenger car there is a "gear" on the hub that has a magnetic sensor that reads the bumps on the "gear"
So it's usually behind the brake rotors/drums.
Depending on car, you can get at those without removing the wheel. With even 18" wheels it's generally easier to get at them without the wheel on. But those are torqued to 80 ft/lbs. Even when the knuckleheads at Mr. Tire use their impact guns, I can get those off. Bus wheels? I dunno.

I have a 6 ton bottle jack. I do NOT have jack stands I'd trust for that kind of weight.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Depending on car, you can get at those without removing the wheel. With even 18" wheels it's generally easier to get at them without the wheel on. But those are torqued to 80 ft/lbs. Even when the knuckleheads at Mr. Tire use their impact guns, I can get those off. Bus wheels? I dunno.

I have a 6 ton bottle jack. I do NOT have jack stands I'd trust for that kind of weight.
In my infinite list of things I need to purchase, a set of heavy duty jack stands and an air over hydraulic jack r close to the top. I don't have an air compressor that will run one of the big one inch impact guns nor do I want to spend $300 I'm a tool for taking my tires on and off so I will be getting one of those torque multipliers as well. I don't know what they charge and diagnostic fees but if you can eliminate a couple of hours by doing most of it yourself I am guessing you could pay for the jack stands and possibly the jack with what you save in hourly diagnostic rates

Old 04-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
In my infinite list of things I need to purchase, a set of heavy duty jack stands and an air over hydraulic jack r close to the top. I don't have an air compressor that will run one of the big one inch impact guns nor do I want to spend $300 I'm a tool for taking my tires on and off so I will be getting one of those torque multipliers as well. I don't know what they charge and diagnostic fees but if you can eliminate a couple of hours by doing most of it yourself I am guessing you could pay for the jack stands and possibly the jack with what you save in hourly diagnostic rates
I got "2 yrs free" oil changes when I bought Dakota. Didn't help that the dealer was 15 miles away but I was SOOOOOoooooo glad when I had the last one done. I'd rather do it myself than drive your shop, sit and wait, then drive back. And I want to be able to do all the simple stuff myself. Brakes are cake. Wheel bearings are a huge pain to press but simple in concept.

I have a 1/2" 650 lb/ft impact gun. There have been a few things it's had trouble with. Generally kicking the PSI up from 90 to 120 does it. It's a Horrible Freight and cost me all of $65 I think. Bought it 5~10 yrs ago... no, I take that back. I think it's been 10~15 yrs now. If it breaks tomorrow I'm still ahead.

Any idea what PSI the 1" impacts need? I'm sitting on 5 air tanks that go to at least 130 PSI. They are painted yellow and have a bird emblem on them.