Old 11-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Which bus/motor would you get if you did it over?

Quote:
the first truck i went otr in had an air sllider on the side of the stick. you split that once every gear. the result? you move the stick 5 times to shift all 10 gears.
Known as a "Super Ten". It's a lighter duty tranny than the normal big-rig 9 and 10 speeds, but would be perfectly fine for our smaller engines.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

That sounds like a basic (very old school) Spicer 5+2, which I have. It's a 5-speed transmission, but the AXLE is a 2-range. The sunvisor decal says to shift: 1L, 1H, 2L, 2H, 3L, 3H, 4L, 5L, 4H, 5H. Obviously, I don't use all ten ranges (though 4H and 5L are almost the same ratio). Not having air brakes, my axle is electrically shifted by a switch on the shifter...I trained for my CDL in a Ford L8000 soda truck; it had an air-shifted axle.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1959
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: international
Engine: 468 c.i. BBchevy
Rated Cap: 66

If the motor is in a bus it is going to be a good motor. Regardless if it is diesel or gas or propane etc..........Know your motor ,maintain it,keep it clean. I talk to mine. But that is probably over the top. My bus had a 6cyl. International vintage 1959. I rebuilt it then drove it from Mo. to Los Angeles and on the way back with a heavy load and pushing it too hard it spun a rod bearing, near Albuquerque. It is always Albuquerque,but I digress, after that and waiting 3 days for parts I thought the bus should have something easy to work on and common with mondo torque. Shazam! I put in a 454 chevy bored 30over making a 468 c.i. motor. Since then I have made that same trip 4 times and from Mo. to New Orleans once. One time I went to Ca. and back in 4 days. I stood on that BBC hard with a load on the way back. I like driving the bus so in between long trips I cruise around. One time in the snow I found some seldom traveled paved roads and did some handling practice. I powerslid that big dude. Point is I have heaped abuse on the old big block. I have worked as a equipment maintenance guy and I like to drag race. AT THE TRACK. From both of those the idea is to know your motor and keep it in peak running condition. Which coach to use, who knows. But unless you are going yo pull an extra 40,000 pounds I like a gas motor. Keep your ethanol out of my motor just octane boost.
Navistate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:57 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

After having driven both a school bus and my MCI MC-8 The MCI wins hands down! The ride is much smoother. It is a much heavier duty, has more storage and just plain looks cool The major downfall I see on them is by they get to the market I can afford they have alot of miles on them. The great news is that if I ever fix anything on it you can pretty must rest assured that repair will last the rest of it's life. Sadly I haven't had the time or money to do much converting on the inside as of yet. The "deals" in the heavy bus market right now are pretty good. I didn't pay much more than your $5000 budget for mine and it is partially converted.
Here is mine

letz4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Ok I'll admit it... nice bus...
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56

Flat nose, air ride, rear chasis diesel. I would look for something with a roof raised or a partially done bus as they are plentiful and cheap. I would probably go for a coach, not a skoolie though. Sorry, but been there, done that. They're noisy and rough, very little storage, so mabye a different bus might solve these problems.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:22 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66

Depending on the appliation you could write PAGES in response to that question. Personally I like to think that my DT 360 International and Allison AT545 are the best combo around. I can cite many reasons, but truthfully it just plain comes down to the fact that they are both simple and reliable, with few bells and whistles (or air-horns, lol). And will do the job regardless of what you throw at it, as long as it is within normal operating tolerance. And that comes back to application.

I do a little camping in it with friends, no hauling heavy loads or climbing the appalachains on a routine basis, so I can get away with the lightweight combo. In turn, it has better diesel mileage than that of other larger (and suitably more rugged) combos, standing in at close to 10 MPG, if not more in some situations. The original intent was to use this as a project bus for experimenting with Waste Vegetable Oil, and it proved to EXCEPTIONAL in that regard, with many other converters running the International engines (pre-electric!!!!). The DT 360 is a bulletproof engine with it's Bosch In-Line injection pump that literally is unmatched in the diesel world for WVO apps.

BUT...if I were to do it again (and frankly, I prolly will, lol) I would go with one of the new pushers (Thomas or Bluebird, both have indestructable and easy to mod bodies) complete with air-ride and A\C (you get the benefit of the highway coach without the price!). I wouldn't be concerning myself with the WVO installation on the new machine; with electronic injectors and the like on the new beasts, it would never work properly and more than likely destroy the engine (even though their all mechanical counterparts could handle it without hesitation), lapeer20m has a good list of the reasons why WVO is fun only if you have the time and money to invest in it (which I don't anymore, unfortunately). The BIGGEST thing I would be concerning myself with is finding a manual transmission (even if I have to mod a road ranger to make it work!) with a rear end that is NOT 5.35:1...I can't tell you how annoying that is! I top out at 60MPH revving at 3600RPM, the engine and tranny can handle it forever, but the point is I want to go a little bit faster with better fuel economy. I think with a 6-10 speed manual and a rear end of 4.1:1 (or something close to that) 70 MPH and 10MPG might be achieved.
No_Loitering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Yes, I keep coming back (in my late night and early morning brain-storming sessions) to the idea of installing a big sturdy stick shift in Millicent. I think it would be primarily about matching the bell housing to the engine. Anybody up on that stuff? I do know that bell housing bolt patterns are standardized, but I don't know quite how.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Gillig 1980, 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: 636/E350
Engine: Cat 3208 NA/7.3
Rated Cap: 78

My research in recent past indicates the MT643 is a SAE 2 bellhousing. My Gillig 636 was available with either an MT643, I believe Spicer 5 speed or Eaton/Roadranger RT610 10 speed. All in front of (pusher) a CAT 3208. My non-expert suspicion is that these all would work, except the Roadranger, which is a pusher model. Gillig and Crown used a Roadranger RT910 in their mid-engine configurations, which is the same trans set-up as your front engine bus.

On the other hand, there's a nice Crown with a Detroit 6-71 and 5 speed on E-Bay right now, expires at around 1:30 pacific today; you might get and entire manual bus for not much more than the parts, fabrication, labor etc. Not too too far from where you are either.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-Cro ... QQptZBuses
Old 12-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoskoolie
My research in recent past indicates the MT643 is a SAE 2 bellhousing. My Gillig 636 was available with either an MT643, I believe Spicer 5 speed or Eaton/Roadranger RT610 10 speed. All in front of (pusher) a CAT 3208. My non-expert suspicion is that these all would work, except the Roadranger, which is a pusher model. Gillig and Crown used a Roadranger RT910 in their mid-engine configurations, which is the same trans set-up as your front engine bus.

On the other hand, there's a nice Crown with a Detroit 6-71 and 5 speed on E-Bay right now, expires at around 1:30 pacific today; you might get and entire manual bus for not much more than the parts, fabrication, labor etc. Not too too far from where you are either.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-Cro ... QQptZBuses

Be still my beating heart! If that Crown is mechanically healthy...! Just remember that those "pancake" engines are unique in the world of motor vehicles. It is not the usual V Detroit.

On that topic, it would be... at least amusing... to find out if there are any modern flat engines. I'm just fantasising that maybe some European outfit builds a bus-size diesel engine in the shape of a Porsche/Subaru flat six. Wouldn't THAT be a perfect retrofit for Millicent!

Yes, I have also found the SAE bolt patterns for the Allison trannies. It's the rest of it that still "looks blurry" in my mind. But I imagine a truck wrecking yard could easily sell me an entire tranny/bellhousing package out of a medium truck with the same 5.9 engine. A "big rig" ten speed would not really be needed!