Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
The BCM forum's resident guru swears by Delvac 1240 - he says a Detroit uses less of it than good ol' Delo 100, but I suspect it's not so easy to find as Chevron's oils unless you have a good oil distributor nearby. Next time I'm at Southern Counties Lubricants in Orange CA I'll ask them if they have it; the last time I was there they had several different CF-2 straight 40 weight oils for the boating folk, including Delo 100 in 5-gallon pails.

John

Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:02 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
I sometimes watch videos of old rigs on youtube, just to hear that beautiul DDV71 roar. A masterpiece
Sounds like you need another fix of Detroit music. Here's my friend Al driving his 10-speed around Fresno (he took off the muffler so he could better enjoy the engine sound!): This is one reason he took off the muffler: And here's some Super IIs like mine (starting at 0:40): In that clip there's also one of the rare ex-San Diego pushers. If I took off my muffler I suppose my bus would sound like this:

All good stuff. Happy now?

John
Old 03-24-2017, 01:40 AM   #23

Those are some mighty fine rigs. My dad was co-owner of West Coach in Chino California back in the 90's and early 00's. I have great memories of visiting the shop as a kid and playing in Crowns. I would buy one if I had a place to store it. I live in Lakewood near Long Beach California on 5K sq. ft. of land.
tunafromlaguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunafromlaguna View Post
Those are some mighty fine rigs. My dad was co-owner of West Coach in Chino California back in the 90's and early 00's. I have great memories of visiting the shop as a kid and playing in Crowns. I would buy one if I had a place to store it. I live in Lakewood near Long Beach California on 5K sq. ft. of land.
For us LA and Orange Counties suburbanites we have no choice but to pay for bus storage somewhere. For me it's just the cost of the hobby, and it's probably much less than some other hobbies cost! If you do get a Crown, you should join the Crown Coach Junkies group - we have a get-together every year at the high desert home of one member, always lots of fun and a chance to see other fellow Crownaholics and their toys.

I went to West Coach soon after I got my bus, just a year or so before they went out of business, and I managed to buy some electrical schematics and a few other odds and ends. Do you know what happened to that one-off Crown RV that was parked in the back?

John
Old 03-24-2017, 03:49 PM   #25

My dad sold his half of the business in around 2003 I think. This was when the bus floor warranty work started drying off. He then putted around and annoyed the family before he bought a heat treating shop in Torrance. He sold that and now he is retired. I don't recall a bus conversion although they did fcome in from time-to-time while my dad was there. I remember across the street they had a yard with some real classics. I'm talking from 30 - 50s. I asked my dad what happened to those and he is sad he didn't take atleast one during the part.
tunafromlaguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:12 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

The RV I saw in their yard was a unique factory-built Crown motorhome, not a conversion of an existing bus. Its body was more square-shaped than traditional Crown school buses, more like a normal RV then even my bus which is squarer than other Crowns. I think it was rear-engined, so maybe it was related to the various chassis that Crown made for Vogue RVs? Whatever it was, I wish I had taken some photos of it. Maybe the resident Crown historians on the CCJ forum know of its whereabouts now?

John