Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2018, 07:41 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Won't Start

I moved the bus a couple weeks ago and went to move it the other day. Battery was not fully charged and while it turned over, it would not fire. I charged it over night and came out and it fired right up, ran for a few seconds and I shut it down. I tried again a little later and while it did fire up, it only ran for about 4-5 seconds and then shut down. It turns over fast, has 1/3 of a tank of fuel. It is parked on an uphill incline. Could fuel have gravity fed back to the tank? What should I start checking.
TIA

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Maybe the fuel pickup in the tank is sitting in free air due to the angle the bus is on. All the fuel in the tank is forward, so because your tank isn't full, it won't pickup fuel to pump.

Just my first thought, any smoke at all? Check filters or replace too , and water separator.
Add some fuel and see what happens, better bleed it now too or no go likely.

John
Old 10-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
If you got algae in the fuel it may have started initially, but then plugged the filter and starved. I changed mine recently and had a bad blockage. Been treating it since then.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Maybe the fuel pickup in the tank is sitting in free air due to the angle the bus is on. All the fuel in the tank is forward, so because your tank isn't full, it won't pickup fuel to pump.

Just my first thought, any smoke at all? Check filters or replace too , and water separator.
Add some fuel and see what happens, better bleed it now too or no go likely.

John
It's sitting on an UPHILL incline. The front is high. I would think the fuel pick up is in the rear of the tank, but that's just a guess. Fuel is only 3 months old. Anyone have a quick reference to how to bleed the DT466?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Mark,

a couple things could be going on,. if you ran out of fuel on the rail then it wont start, you can check the raill.. there is a little cylindrical primer pump.. usually looks like a tall black "cap".. thats your primer.. it is spring loaded and if you go to press on it, it should be stiff and not want to press down.. (think of trying to pump a liquid) if it presses down easily. and fully then you likely have lost the fuel prime... if its the fuel pickup then put some fuel in and try to re-prime..

you press that pump many times with the Schraeder test valve pressed oopen. (looks liek a tire valve).. until you get fuel...

if you have good solid fuel, then another possibility is that you ran the HPOP dry of oil... (make sure your engine oil reads reasonable level.. ). you can usually crank your way our of a dry HPOP.. the HPOP system uses engine oil as hydraulic fluid to actuate the injectors...

3rd possibility. (your WARN ENGINE light will be on solid after turning on the key).. is that the CPS sensor has lost signal to the ECM.. this is what tells the engine the engne poisition for firing the injectors..

as we mentioned before cranking speed and fully charged batteries are a must too.. which it sounds like you have that.

those are the most common reasons for a 466E to not fire up.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
It's sitting on an UPHILL incline. The front is high. I would think the fuel pick up is in the rear of the tank, but that's just a guess. Fuel is only 3 months old. Anyone have a quick reference to how to bleed the DT466?

Ok in your climate that is enough for strong algae growth year round so be prepared and treat you fuel even if burning it driving. Fuel doesn't appreciate sitting in anything very long.
As far as how your bus is parked why didn't you say uphill from the tank in the first place, we are not mind readers here, or many of us are not.
You for one I would have thought would understand a no start condition easily and what to do.

John
Old 10-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Ok in your climate that is enough for strong algae growth year round so be prepared and treat you fuel even if burning it driving. Fuel doesn't appreciate sitting in anything very long.
As far as how your bus is parked why didn't you say uphill from the tank in the first place, we are not mind readers here, or many of us are not.
You for one I would have thought would understand a no start condition easily and what to do.

John
I thought "It's parked on an uphill incline." was self explanatory. I would hardly think of algae in the tank as that has never been an issue on any gas vehicle I have maintained. I would not have thought of algae with the weather here maintaining 90° and sunny for as long as it has been parked there.
I'll pull the engine cover tomorrow and investigate your recommendations.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Follow cadillackid's instructions. Spot on for priming that engine.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Follow cadillackid's instructions. Spot on for priming that engine.
Will follow his advice tomorrow. I also have to try and get the other bus running tomorrow so I can get rid of it. Finally got the new compressor installed and just have to add coolant and then crank it over with my fingers crossed that it has oil pressure. If it does, then the compressor belt will go on and it will hit CL. Sucked that I had to remove an hours worth of stuff off the front end to get to the last bolt on the compressor. Battery is completely dead and the charger doesn't seem to be working, so another $200 for a battery.