Old 10-11-2016, 10:04 PM   #11

Year: 2005
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: handy
Engine: e450 6.0
sdr76, cadillackid, stu & filo, and eastcoastcd...new heros of mine.
stone21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:17 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

The duty cycle that has killed more 6.0L's than anything else are the type that include a lot of idling or any other sort of duty cycle that doesn't allow the engine to get to operating temperature.

The reason why the Ford 6.0L and the IC VT365 became such a disaster in school buses is most school buses rarely ever run long enough to get warm enough for the EGR to work properly. The more you ran them cool the more the EGR got all plugged up. In a very short period of time the EGR not working caused major problems on the intake side where the EGR was supposed to be recycling. The insides of the engines that died as a result of the EGR failing are the blackest and dirtiest engines I have ever seen.

The same sort of destruction has happened in consumer vehicles that are used for daily driving--stop and go, relatively short distances, never get warmed up properly.

There are some 6.0L/VT365's out there that have gone long distances. In most cases the engines were in vehicles that got out and worked hard and got up to operating temperature. But as it has been noted, they do not last long at all if they get hot.

Warmed up is good. Hot is not good.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:25 AM   #13
Almost There

My 2004 6.0L E-450 has 158k miles. I was told by the guy who owns DP Tuner that the bus engines are very detuned. Which might mean they'd be in better shape than the engine in a truck. Mine appears to be in very good shape, as far as I can tell. None of the telltale signs of impending failure.

So I tore into it proactively, to avoid future problems. I removed the everything in front of the engine (radiator, intercooler, fan, etc), everything on top of the engine, and the exhaust off the rear of it. New belt, water pump, PS pump, new bearings in the idler pulleys. New oil cooler, TIG welded the EGR cooler's exhaust passages and reinstalled it. Stiffer blue spring in the fuel pressure regulator. Cleaned out the turbo vanes and got them working again. Also had cold start / rough running problems and it turned out the be a bad power supply board in the Fuel Injector Control Module. Dorman replacement is $93 on Amazon and simple to change. I pulled mine out and re-soldered per instructions I found online. Truck starts and runs fine now.

I learned how to do this stuff by watching videos on youtube. Search for it.
Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6.0, e450