Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #1

7.3 injector cups?

Alright so I have a 1999 Ford short bus (7.3) with diesel in the coolant. From what I can gather, the problem is a cracked injector cup. I did my homework, rented the tool, bought the parts and got all hyped to do it myself. When I actually started turning wrenches it became apparent that I wasn't going to have the room to do this job with the way the motor sits in the bus (think E-350). So I guess my question is how should I go about this? Should I pull the motor? Should I lift the cab? Is it possible to do this job with the motor in the bus and maybe I am just being a wuss? Any advice would be appreciated.

Kittwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
is there a dog house? you mite be able to reach them there, a cracked cylinder heads, and bad head gaskets , and maybe bad o rings on injectors may also add diesel in the coolant. did you pressurize the cooling system , and check for cylinder head leaks? I'm not sure how hard it would be to take the motor out, but it would make working on it much easer.
gbstewart
Old 12-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
It's a crappy job but no getting around it. Not sure if you can lift the cab if the body is on top of the cab.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Unfortunately, our engines are *not* easy to work on.

Have you tried pulling the turbo to get access to the valve covers? It comes out fairly easily. You'll likely need to remove the air filter housing and ducting to get a clear shot at the drivers side cover. I've never had to remove valve covers so I'm not much help there. At least you'll be working in out of the weather, but it helps to be a bit of a contortionist.

I think Sdwarf had to pull his 7.3L for a rebuild. Maybe he will chime in. That sucker weighs over 900 lbs (the engine, not Sdwarf).
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
You can pull the injectors in cab. One of them is tight-I pulled to the top (the electrical soleinoid portion) off.
The problem is possibly the orings around the injectors. (common problem.)
Pull your front seats-lie out a blanket + get comfy-its not a quick job. You can do the whole job from the inside. The worst bolt to get are the very front of the valve covers.
Pulling the heads off would be next to impossible in cab-but you can get the motor out the front. Pulling the cab may work in a pick up not attached to the bed-but not in a bus where the (factory) cab is attached to the bus body.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Not sure about the cups. I've never had to do that in an e350. To do headgaskets the engine has to come out, but the injectors can be replaced without removing the engine. It'll be pretty tight, but I think you should be able to do it.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
While you've got the motor cover off have a look at the turbocharger pedestal. There's an actuator shaft that sticks out toward the passenger side that often leaks oil. If there is a leak the actuator can be rebuilt or the shaft holes can be sealed off. Rebuilding the turbo is quite easy and not too expensive. Parts kits can be had from dieselorings.com and others.

Another known problem is the 4 bolts that hold the turbo halves together. In many of the earlier 7.3's these bolts worked themselves loose (mine had actually fallen out). Ford has a modified bolt kit that's supposed to fix the problem. (Ford#1C3Z-9G486-AA)
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote