Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheatricalKate View Post
Auctions are looking better and better...
MY last one was around $4000 and that's the most I've ever bought a bus for.
The one before that was $1760.
I've only had so many because I keep selling them and finding nicer and nicer buses.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: International
And... I read the GVWR on the wrong bus... (I need to look at my pictures more carefully!) The cutaway is only 9500 which is too little for my dreams...

My search continues! We'll find each other. <3
TheatricalKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
It'll take time, but you'll get there. The biggest thing is that you're on the right track now.

I'd hate to see you fall in love with one, go through all the modifications you want, and then find out that it's all no good because it's overloaded or unsafe.

Patience and perseverance will win out.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
That is in fact *exactly* what I first fell in love with. There was one at Western Bus Sales for $12,500 but it was sold before I could get her.

The one thing ... uncommon about mine is the Spicer 5-speed manual transmission. While they were factory available, they were not commonly bought - for the very same reason mine was surplussed. As it was stated by the bus barn manager "With the new ones being automatics, we can't get these old grannies to drive the sticks anymore".
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
The one thing ... uncommon about mine is the Spicer 5-speed manual transmission. While they were factory available, they were not commonly bought - for the very same reason mine was surplussed. As it was stated by the bus barn manager "With the new ones being automatics, we can't get these old grannies to drive the sticks anymore".
I'm finding that a lot of the buses for sale in Canada have 5 speed standards in them - haven't counted, but I'd say half or more have the 5 speed
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I'm finding that a lot of the buses for sale in Canada have 5 speed standards in them - haven't counted, but I'd say half or more have the 5 speed
I love driving stick. No doubt it'll handle differently with the additional weight, but practice makes perfect.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I got this one for $1625. Prob what the dealer paid for that one they wanted 12k for.

They don't sell for more than a few grand at auctions.

AHHH! That's EXACTLY the type I want as an horse tow / SUV replacement for my wife.

I've found a few 8-window ones, but no 6-window - and my wife really, REALLY wants a 6-window one....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #28
Skoolie

1990 Ford vans had a 5 digit odometer. Therefore that 69,000 miles showing on the odometer could be 169K, 269K or 969K miles. Without documentation the world may never know!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
AHHH! That's EXACTLY the type I want as an horse tow / SUV replacement for my wife.

I've found a few 8-window ones, but no 6-window - and my wife really, REALLY wants a 6-window one....
Thomas sold em with as few as 5, like mine. Its a wee bit shorter than the IC 6 window. FWIW the IC rides and handles a lot more like a minivan. That may be worth noting if its going to be the wife's "suv".
Old 02-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: B8000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 24
No one has asked you how much your Stage weighs. I would like to know the requirements for the stage. Will it be built from aluminum or steel? Will it fold up on the side? I would stay away from the cutaway style buses unless it was real cheep Thomas made quite a few Ford chassis 5 window busses with Cummins drive trains. Southern busses are rust free. Good luck
reedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedy View Post
No one has asked you how much your Stage weighs. I would like to know the requirements for the stage. Will it be built from aluminum or steel? Will it fold up on the side? I would stay away from the cutaway style buses unless it was real cheep Thomas made quite a few Ford chassis 5 window busses with Cummins drive trains. Southern busses are rust free. Good luck
As much aluminum as possible! It'll fold on the driver's side opposite the wheelchair lift.

I am waiting for the final rough numbers from the engineers. At least 3000 lbs for the stage & everything else (lights, sound, solar).

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: B8000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 24
If you are going to hang 3000 lbs. off The outside of the bus are you planning on driving this bus much or perhaps just around one city? That would be a very unbalanced load , specially when you turn right at any speed. You need to Think this through before you start spending a lot of money. Still good luck!
reedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:07 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedy View Post
If you are going to hang 3000 lbs. off The outside of the bus are you planning on driving this bus much or perhaps just around one city? That would be a very unbalanced load , specially when you turn right at any speed. You need to Think this through before you start spending a lot of money. Still good luck!
The stage on the outside will weigh less than 3000 lbs and will be offset - in part -by the weight of the wheelchair lift. The little bits of furniture/books that will be in the bus proper will also be stored to offset the stage, as will the sound gear and lighting equipment (the other reasons I need at least 3000 lbs to play with.) I want solar on the roof, but I need to see how much weight I have to play with first.

The plan is to do A LOT of driving. Festivals throughout the US, the Canadian Fringe circuit. Which is why I'm hiring engineers to do the math.

Yes. There is a lot to think about.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Thomas sold em with as few as 5, like mine. Its a wee bit shorter than the IC 6 window. FWIW the IC rides and handles a lot more like a minivan. That may be worth noting if its going to be the wife's "suv".

Oooo.... The unicorn I'm looking for just got weirder.... Thx for the info!
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:49 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

So I've found a 2007 IC BE, 6.0 Diesel with an Allison transmission and type B body style (which I presume is synonymous for chassis?) 141005 miles.

All of this seems pretty good to me with everything I am grokking from here...

I am waiting to hear back on the resting weight and GVWR...

Out of the different chassis you all have talked about here - thank you! - it's the type B that should deal with my additional stage weight best, correct?

Other experience with this make/model/transmission combination?

Many thanks!
Kate.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:56 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Quote:
So I've found a 2007 IC BE, 6.0 Diesel with an Allison transmission and type B body style (which I presume is synonymous for chassis?) 141005 miles.

All of this seems pretty good to me with everything I am grokking from here...

I am waiting to hear back on the resting weight and GVWR...

Out of the different chassis you all have talked about here - thank you! - it's the type B that should deal with my additional stage weight best, correct?

Other experience with this make/model/transmission combination?

Many thanks!
Kate.
Unless you or someone intimately involved are an ace mechanic with lots of money I'd pass. That 6.0 has literally ruined lives. If you find a bus 4 years older you won't have to deal with that.
You can "bulletproof" a 6.0 but it costs a lot of money and honestly that shoulda been Navistar/Ford's job.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:34 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
The stage on the outside will weigh less than 3000 lbs and will be offset - in part -by the weight of the wheelchair lift.
A wheel chair lift probably weighs less than 500 lbs. and is carried inside the center line of the vehicle track. Adding 3000 lbs. to the outside of that line would, I think, be quite noticeable.

Is that stage going to be less than 6 inches deep when folded? If not you are going to be oversize. Bus is probably 96", 102" is max without a permit.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! I recalled reading about some troublesome and some OK 6.0's. I appreciate the feedback!
Old 03-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
A wheel chair lift probably weighs less than 500 lbs. and is carried inside the center line of the vehicle track. Adding 3000 lbs. to the outside of that line would, I think, be quite noticeable.

Is that stage going to be less than 6 inches deep when folded? If not you are going to be oversize. Bus is probably 96", 102" is max without a permit.
Correct. Part of what my team will be doing is making sure that when folded the stage is still has me within regular parameters so I will not be oversized. I have no desire to always have a wide load permit and driving buddy!

I'm not the engineer - gratefully! - so there are chunks of the math and physics I can't fully speak to. However, I do know that part of the need for 3000 lb. to play with is not just for the stage. I can't remember what it's called right now, but it's like shackles that are rated for 100 lbs. They can actually take a lot more than 100 lbs, but all of the extra (hidden from the consumer) allowance is for safety. So, 3000 lb is our (hidden from the consumer) number while the actual weight will probably be more like 1000 lbs (taking in a standard of 3x for safety.)
Old 03-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

OK. While I research bulletproofing... I have also found a 2008 Chevy Sbus with a 6.6 L Duramax Diesel engine. 121,027 mi. Waiting to hear back which transmission.

Opinions?

Tags
1990 ford econoline, 7.3l diesel, advice, e4od transmission