Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-01-2019, 05:40 PM   #11
Bus Nut
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 453
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
And, yeah... NO!
YT is making it all look like bright bunnies and eunuch-corns.
Well, maybe the latter is accurate...
That's funny. When YouTubers have mechanical issues and talk about them, it gets called drama and they get accused of "ebegging" - trying to get sympathy so people will send money to them for the repair. Yet I hear the argument daily about how it all gets painted with the sunshine brush. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Some channels roll one way, others roll another, and lots tell it like it is, but everyone obsesses on the ones who don't. I guarantee I watch more YOuTube than just about anyone on here, so I know whereof I speak.
firebuild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #12
Bus Nut
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 453
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
For many diesel vehicles, a "Water in Fuel" light isn't much more involved than "Oil change due".
Mine has never come on despite my having had water in my fuel many a time. BUt yeah, it's not a big deal.
firebuild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #13
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 7,207
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
For many diesel vehicles, a "Water in Fuel" light isn't much more involved than "Oil change due".
How are they related. No place I've ever been to for an oil change touched the fuel filter.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:37 PM   #14
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,555
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
How are they related. No place I've ever been to for an oil change touched the fuel filter.

You need to find a different oil change place then. Diesel fuel filters should be replaced much more often than on a gas vehicle, and for many of the companies I've worked for it was considered a standard part of a "PM" (Preventive Maintenance), or "oil change" in more informal terms.


In this context, though, draining water from the water separator is a relatively straightforward task that shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:51 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,273
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
That's funny. When YouTubers have mechanical issues and talk about them, it gets called drama and they get accused of "ebegging" - trying to get sympathy so people will send money to them for the repair. Yet I hear the argument daily about how it all gets painted with the sunshine brush. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Some channels roll one way, others roll another, and lots tell it like it is, but everyone obsesses on the ones who don't. I guarantee I watch more YOuTube than just about anyone on here, so I know whereof I speak.
If you're asking for money on YT it IS E-begging.
I've got a video of a mechanical failure. never asked anyone for a dime and no one ever accused me of anything.
I really doubt you watch more youtube than I do. I've got a 100 meg connection and a 61" monitor. I only work 20 hrs a week and that leaves a LOT of time for youtube. I just find the plethora of bus videos to be repetitive and mostly cringeworthy. I've always watched your vids and mostly enjoyed them though. But you're not the usual youtuber. The usual bus vid involves a hipster family who "want to downsize".
I use Youtube for music, entertainment, and general background noise.
I've got some Depeche Mode videos going in another window right now!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:00 PM   #16
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 7,207
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
You need to find a different oil change place then. Diesel fuel filters should be replaced much more often than on a gas vehicle, and for many of the companies I've worked for it was considered a standard part of a "PM" (Preventive Maintenance), or "oil change" in more informal terms.


In this context, though, draining water from the water separator is a relatively straightforward task that shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do.
Haven't been to an oil change place for oil change in over 40 years, don't ever plan on it. Although I did drive by one the other day with a kid out front flashing a sign that said "Oil change $15" I should have pulled the bus in.
Wasn't sure if the OP had a water separator or not. I would assume so if it says on the dash. So yes, change the filter or remove it and drain the water.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #17
Bus Nut
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 453
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If you're asking for money on YT it IS E-begging.
I've got a video of a mechanical failure. never asked anyone for a dime and no one ever accused me of anything.
I really doubt you watch more youtube than I do. I've got a 100 meg connection and a 61" monitor. I only work 20 hrs a week and that leaves a LOT of time for youtube. I just find the plethora of bus videos to be repetitive and mostly cringeworthy. I've always watched your vids and mostly enjoyed them though. But you're not the usual youtuber. The usual bus vid involves a hipster family who "want to downsize".
I use Youtube for music, entertainment, and general background noise.
I've got some Depeche Mode videos going in another window right now!
OK, you win! I don't have Depeche Mode going, and I for sure don't have a 61 inch monitor!

Don't know if you saw my recent video where I got an oil change and questioned whether I had a transmission issue. Despite clearly stating in the video that my transmission is under warranty, I was held up as an example of an "e-beggar" for mentioning it: obviously, by talking about it, I was asking people to help me pay to fix it.

Yet if I presented a sunshine and roses view, with no problems, I'd be taken to task for that. There is no pleasing some people. Fortunately there are many others who see it differently.

I watch a LOT of the "nomads." I watch more RV and van people than bus, and the ones I stick with are ones where I dig the personality of the person. I support 3 or 4 creators on Patreon, because their content has value to me. None of them have ever "begged" me to do so, in fact, I've sought out their Patreon links. So yeah, they're asking for money by suggesting in the description that, if you find value, you might want to join their Patreon. But they are investing time and money in creating that stuff, and even before I was doing YouTube myself, having a background in production, I knew what it takes to do this stuff consistently. It's not easy, and I don't mind helping out with content I like. I just bought a 600 dollar ticket for something for no reason other than because I think it will make great content for the people who like my videos. I didn't ask anyone to give money toward that, but you can bet your ass that when I have more standing and more subscribers, I WILL invite them to participate in the funding of the content. If you don't like HBO, you don't subscribe to HBO. It's the same principle, except on YOuTube you get to watch it whether you pay or not. I already have people asking me to start a Patreon so they can support the channel, but I don't feel like I've earned that yet. I will do it eventually, though, because it will buy me some freedom to make my content better.

That said, one of the biggest critics of other vanlifers "ebegging" just asked people to donate so he could adopt a dog. If you need donations to adopt a dog, you can't afford a dog. That's e-begging. Mentioning a mechanical issue is not. But it doesn't seem to matter. If people want to find fault, they will find it.
firebuild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #18
Bus Nut
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 453
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Haven't been to an oil change place for oil change in over 40 years, don't ever plan on it. Although I did drive by one the other day with a kid out front flashing a sign that said "Oil change $15" I should have pulled the bus in.
Wasn't sure if the OP had a water separator or not. I would assume so if it says on the dash. So yes, change the filter or remove it and drain the water.
The $15 oil change really does only include oil.. but a non-bargain one, yeah, they change the filter.
firebuild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #19
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,273
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
OK, you win! I don't have Depeche Mode going, and I for sure don't have a 61 inch monitor!

Don't know if you saw my recent video where I got an oil change and questioned whether I had a transmission issue. Despite clearly stating in the video that my transmission is under warranty, I was held up as an example of an "e-beggar" for mentioning it: obviously, by talking about it, I was asking people to help me pay to fix it.

Yet if I presented a sunshine and roses view, with no problems, I'd be taken to task for that. There is no pleasing some people. Fortunately there are many others who see it differently.

I watch a LOT of the "nomads." I watch more RV and van people than bus, and the ones I stick with are ones where I dig the personality of the person. I support 3 or 4 creators on Patreon, because their content has value to me. None of them have ever "begged" me to do so, in fact, I've sought out their Patreon links. So yeah, they're asking for money by suggesting in the description that, if you find value, you might want to join their Patreon. But they are investing time and money in creating that stuff, and even before I was doing YouTube myself, having a background in production, I knew what it takes to do this stuff consistently. It's not easy, and I don't mind helping out with content I like. I just bought a 600 dollar ticket for something for no reason other than because I think it will make great content for the people who like my videos. I didn't ask anyone to give money toward that, but you can bet your ass that when I have more standing and more subscribers, I WILL invite them to participate in the funding of the content. If you don't like HBO, you don't subscribe to HBO. It's the same principle, except on YOuTube you get to watch it whether you pay or not. I already have people asking me to start a Patreon so they can support the channel, but I don't feel like I've earned that yet. I will do it eventually, though, because it will buy me some freedom to make my content better.

That said, one of the biggest critics of other vanlifers "ebegging" just asked people to donate so he could adopt a dog. If you need donations to adopt a dog, you can't afford a dog. That's e-begging. Mentioning a mechanical issue is not. But it doesn't seem to matter. If people want to find fault, they will find it.
Scammers like "nomadic fanatic" sorta ruined YT. The reason folks so quickly say "e beggar" is that its so common. Almost every nomadic/tiny/whatever lifestyle channel I've followed end up asking for and getting money.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #20
Bus Crazy
 
HazMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: E Central Tejas
Posts: 1,997
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Scammers like "nomadic fanatic" sorta ruined YT. The reason folks so quickly say "e beggar" is that its so common. Almost every nomadic/tiny/whatever lifestyle channel I've followed end up asking for and getting money.
For those with a more relaxed moral compass, it beats working for an honest living... and it ain't remotely scurrilous to so say!
__________________
Those who say that it cannot be done should not interrupt the people doing it.
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.