Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Anyone Near Mobile AL?

Is anyone near Mobile, Alabama?

There's a lady there with a 2000 E350 7.3L ambulance conversion. Her "water in fuel" light is on and she is kind of freaking out.

The last post from her was several hours ago so all may be well but here is the thread if anyone is around who could help her. I think more than anything she needs to be talked off the ledge, then the problem handled.

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums...5153#pid455153

firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
Is anyone near Mobile, Alabama?

There's a lady there with a 2000 E350 7.3L ambulance conversion. Her "water in fuel" light is on and she is kind of freaking out.

The last post from her was several hours ago so all may be well but here is the thread if anyone is around who could help her. I think more than anything she needs to be talked off the ledge, then the problem handled.

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums...5153#pid455153
Unfortunately folks aren't living "in reality" they're watching too many youtube videos.
If this person is "mid conversion" and can't afford a basic service like a water fuel separator or fuel filter they are in for some hard knocks.
Single older folks with no mechanical aptitude are going to need DEEP pockets to keep up with this hobby/fad/lifestyle.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Unfortunately folks aren't living "in reality" they're watching too many youtube videos.
If this person is "mid conversion" and can't afford a basic service like a water fuel separator or fuel filter they are in for some hard knocks.
Single older folks with no mechanical aptitude are going to need DEEP pockets to keep up with this hobby/fad/lifestyle.
I think she's just freaking out and thinking it's going to cost the same as a transmission. That's why I said she needs to be talked off the ledge.

BTW I'm 57 with no mechanical aptitude. YOu adjust. But the first time something goes wrong it feels BIG>
Old 07-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
I think she's just freaking out and thinking it's going to cost the same as a transmission. That's why I said she needs to be talked off the ledge.

BTW I'm 57 with no mechanical aptitude. YOu adjust. But the first time something goes wrong it feels BIG>
Me a few other "old timers" have had our jobs cut out for us "talking folks off the ledge" on here.

I meant you no offense, but the truth is there is a growing number of dreamers who are in for some painful/expensive lessons. You seem to have a really positive outlook and enough income/savings that it works. But even throwing money at problems you've experienced firsthand how shitty mechanics are and how tough it is to get anything legitimately fixed.

I ditched a bus when the 5 grand I had set aside wasn't enough to fix it.

Quote:
'Young men who don't know how to do any kind of
business... have no energy or application... had
better stay at home near their relatives so they can
be taken care of.' 'They are not wanted here and
will only come to grief... but men of enterprise are
practically sure of success.'
Old 07-01-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Me a few other "old timers" have had our jobs cut out for us "talking folks off the ledge" on here.

I meant you no offense, but the truth is there is a growing number of dreamers who are in for some painful/expensive lessons. You seem to have a really positive outlook and enough income/savings that it works. But even throwing money at problems you've experienced firsthand how shitty mechanics are and how tough it is to get anything legitimately fixed.

I ditched a bus when the 5 grand I had set aside wasn't enough to fix it.
Positive attitude, yes. Enough savings, hell no. Not even close.

I try not to judge people - especially people with no mechanical aptitude - for how they behave in freak out mode. I remember having a meltdown over a stalled car once, so bad that I hyperventilated in the middle of an intersection. Now, if she does it more than once... yeah. Nobody's gonna follow her around and take care of things.

Anyway, I just thought, if someone is nearby they could go drain out some water or at a minimum show her where the drain is. Not a big commitment. Either nobody's in Mobile or everyone feels the way you do. Either way, I tried, not much more to be done.

PS - Everybody needs toi stop blaming YOUTube for everything LOL!
Old 07-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Positive attitude, yes. Enough savings, hell no. Not even close.

I try not to judge people - especially people with no mechanical aptitude - for how they behave in freak out mode. I remember having a meltdown over a stalled car once, so bad that I hyperventilated in the middle of an intersection. Now, if she does it more than once... yeah. Nobody's gonna follow her around and take care of things.

Anyway, I just thought, if someone is nearby they could go drain out some water or at a minimum show her where the drain is. Not a big commitment. Either nobody's in Mobile or everyone feels the way you do. Either way, I tried, not much more to be done.

PS - Everybody needs toi stop blaming YOUTube for everything LOL!
You're right- Facebook is just as much to blame as YT!

Don't get me wrong- IF I were in or near Mobile I'd go help out if I could. But this is a sink or swim kinda thing, IMO.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
For many diesel vehicles, a "Water in Fuel" light isn't much more involved than "Oil change due".
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Far from being remotely ept when it comes to diesel, but...
What stops her from flexing her Goo-Fu for instruction on where to locate the hardware in question?
Not unsympathetic, simply inquisitive...
Old 07-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

And, yeah... NO!
YT is making it all look like bright bunnies and eunuch-corns.
Well, maybe the latter is accurate...
Old 07-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Far from being remotely ept when it comes to diesel, but...
What stops her from flexing her Goo-Fu for instruction on where to locate the hardware in question?
Not unsympathetic, simply inquisitive...
I dunno , she kind of dropped off the thread so I'm thinking someone came long and helped her out.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:40 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
And, yeah... NO!
YT is making it all look like bright bunnies and eunuch-corns.
Well, maybe the latter is accurate...
That's funny. When YouTubers have mechanical issues and talk about them, it gets called drama and they get accused of "ebegging" - trying to get sympathy so people will send money to them for the repair. Yet I hear the argument daily about how it all gets painted with the sunshine brush. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Some channels roll one way, others roll another, and lots tell it like it is, but everyone obsesses on the ones who don't. I guarantee I watch more YOuTube than just about anyone on here, so I know whereof I speak.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
For many diesel vehicles, a "Water in Fuel" light isn't much more involved than "Oil change due".
Mine has never come on despite my having had water in my fuel many a time. BUt yeah, it's not a big deal.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
How are they related. No place I've ever been to for an oil change touched the fuel filter.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:37 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
How are they related. No place I've ever been to for an oil change touched the fuel filter.

You need to find a different oil change place then. Diesel fuel filters should be replaced much more often than on a gas vehicle, and for many of the companies I've worked for it was considered a standard part of a "PM" (Preventive Maintenance), or "oil change" in more informal terms.

In this context, though, draining water from the water separator is a relatively straightforward task that shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:51 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
That's funny. When YouTubers have mechanical issues and talk about them, it gets called drama and they get accused of "ebegging" - trying to get sympathy so people will send money to them for the repair. Yet I hear the argument daily about how it all gets painted with the sunshine brush. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Some channels roll one way, others roll another, and lots tell it like it is, but everyone obsesses on the ones who don't. I guarantee I watch more YOuTube than just about anyone on here, so I know whereof I speak.
If you're asking for money on YT it IS E-begging.
I've got a video of a mechanical failure. never asked anyone for a dime and no one ever accused me of anything.
I really doubt you watch more youtube than I do. I've got a 100 meg connection and a 61" monitor. I only work 20 hrs a week and that leaves a LOT of time for youtube. I just find the plethora of bus videos to be repetitive and mostly cringeworthy. I've always watched your vids and mostly enjoyed them though. But you're not the usual youtuber. The usual bus vid involves a hipster family who "want to downsize".
I use Youtube for music, entertainment, and general background noise.
I've got some Depeche Mode videos going in another window right now!
Old 07-01-2019, 09:00 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
You need to find a different oil change place then. Diesel fuel filters should be replaced much more often than on a gas vehicle, and for many of the companies I've worked for it was considered a standard part of a "PM" (Preventive Maintenance), or "oil change" in more informal terms.

In this context, though, draining water from the water separator is a relatively straightforward task that shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do.
Haven't been to an oil change place for oil change in over 40 years, don't ever plan on it. Although I did drive by one the other day with a kid out front flashing a sign that said "Oil change $15" I should have pulled the bus in.
Wasn't sure if the OP had a water separator or not. I would assume so if it says on the dash. So yes, change the filter or remove it and drain the water.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
If you're asking for money on YT it IS E-begging.
I've got a video of a mechanical failure. never asked anyone for a dime and no one ever accused me of anything.
I really doubt you watch more youtube than I do. I've got a 100 meg connection and a 61" monitor. I only work 20 hrs a week and that leaves a LOT of time for youtube. I just find the plethora of bus videos to be repetitive and mostly cringeworthy. I've always watched your vids and mostly enjoyed them though. But you're not the usual youtuber. The usual bus vid involves a hipster family who "want to downsize".
I use Youtube for music, entertainment, and general background noise.
I've got some Depeche Mode videos going in another window right now!
OK, you win! I don't have Depeche Mode going, and I for sure don't have a 61 inch monitor!

Don't know if you saw my recent video where I got an oil change and questioned whether I had a transmission issue. Despite clearly stating in the video that my transmission is under warranty, I was held up as an example of an "e-beggar" for mentioning it: obviously, by talking about it, I was asking people to help me pay to fix it.

Yet if I presented a sunshine and roses view, with no problems, I'd be taken to task for that. There is no pleasing some people. Fortunately there are many others who see it differently.

I watch a LOT of the "nomads." I watch more RV and van people than bus, and the ones I stick with are ones where I dig the personality of the person. I support 3 or 4 creators on Patreon, because their content has value to me. None of them have ever "begged" me to do so, in fact, I've sought out their Patreon links. So yeah, they're asking for money by suggesting in the description that, if you find value, you might want to join their Patreon. But they are investing time and money in creating that stuff, and even before I was doing YouTube myself, having a background in production, I knew what it takes to do this stuff consistently. It's not easy, and I don't mind helping out with content I like. I just bought a 600 dollar ticket for something for no reason other than because I think it will make great content for the people who like my videos. I didn't ask anyone to give money toward that, but you can bet your ass that when I have more standing and more subscribers, I WILL invite them to participate in the funding of the content. If you don't like HBO, you don't subscribe to HBO. It's the same principle, except on YOuTube you get to watch it whether you pay or not. I already have people asking me to start a Patreon so they can support the channel, but I don't feel like I've earned that yet. I will do it eventually, though, because it will buy me some freedom to make my content better.

That said, one of the biggest critics of other vanlifers "ebegging" just asked people to donate so he could adopt a dog. If you need donations to adopt a dog, you can't afford a dog. That's e-begging. Mentioning a mechanical issue is not. But it doesn't seem to matter. If people want to find fault, they will find it.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Haven't been to an oil change place for oil change in over 40 years, don't ever plan on it. Although I did drive by one the other day with a kid out front flashing a sign that said "Oil change $15" I should have pulled the bus in.
Wasn't sure if the OP had a water separator or not. I would assume so if it says on the dash. So yes, change the filter or remove it and drain the water.
The $15 oil change really does only include oil.. but a non-bargain one, yeah, they change the filter.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
OK, you win! I don't have Depeche Mode going, and I for sure don't have a 61 inch monitor!

Don't know if you saw my recent video where I got an oil change and questioned whether I had a transmission issue. Despite clearly stating in the video that my transmission is under warranty, I was held up as an example of an "e-beggar" for mentioning it: obviously, by talking about it, I was asking people to help me pay to fix it.

Yet if I presented a sunshine and roses view, with no problems, I'd be taken to task for that. There is no pleasing some people. Fortunately there are many others who see it differently.

I watch a LOT of the "nomads." I watch more RV and van people than bus, and the ones I stick with are ones where I dig the personality of the person. I support 3 or 4 creators on Patreon, because their content has value to me. None of them have ever "begged" me to do so, in fact, I've sought out their Patreon links. So yeah, they're asking for money by suggesting in the description that, if you find value, you might want to join their Patreon. But they are investing time and money in creating that stuff, and even before I was doing YouTube myself, having a background in production, I knew what it takes to do this stuff consistently. It's not easy, and I don't mind helping out with content I like. I just bought a 600 dollar ticket for something for no reason other than because I think it will make great content for the people who like my videos. I didn't ask anyone to give money toward that, but you can bet your ass that when I have more standing and more subscribers, I WILL invite them to participate in the funding of the content. If you don't like HBO, you don't subscribe to HBO. It's the same principle, except on YOuTube you get to watch it whether you pay or not. I already have people asking me to start a Patreon so they can support the channel, but I don't feel like I've earned that yet. I will do it eventually, though, because it will buy me some freedom to make my content better.

That said, one of the biggest critics of other vanlifers "ebegging" just asked people to donate so he could adopt a dog. If you need donations to adopt a dog, you can't afford a dog. That's e-begging. Mentioning a mechanical issue is not. But it doesn't seem to matter. If people want to find fault, they will find it.
Scammers like "nomadic fanatic" sorta ruined YT. The reason folks so quickly say "e beggar" is that its so common. Almost every nomadic/tiny/whatever lifestyle channel I've followed end up asking for and getting money.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Scammers like "nomadic fanatic" sorta ruined YT. The reason folks so quickly say "e beggar" is that its so common. Almost every nomadic/tiny/whatever lifestyle channel I've followed end up asking for and getting money.
For those with a more relaxed moral compass, it beats working for an honest living... and it ain't remotely scurrilous to so say!