Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

B700 reverse lights question

When I bought the my bus I assumed that the reverse lights worked... however I was wrong. (Long story... you can skip to next paragraph) Both of the "sockets" for the lights were rusted so bad the bulbs would not come out... so I decided to replace them with some high powered LED lights with a backup alarm. After mounting them to the bus and hooking up the wires I went to test them and nothing happened. I then thought the wire between the fuse box and the lights themselves was broken somewhere, so I ran a toner and found the correct wire on "junction box" (not sure if that is what it is called). I removed the wire from the stud and hooked it up to the battery and my lights (and alarm) worked. So now I am assuming that the wire is not broken. I then followed the wire down to the transmission.

My question is, is there a sensor on the transmission that activates the lights only when in reverse? If so what is it called?

I have also thought about running the wire to a flip switch (to avoid further problems and) to be able to turn the lights on and off when I please.

CStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Yes, there's a switch on the transmission that activates the back-up lights in reverse. I'm told on some of the Allison tranny's, it relies on hydraulic pressure to turn on the lights (I'm not sure how true this is), but it seems mine don't work either .... Yes, I tested it with engine running, transmission in reverse (parking brake set, wheels chocked).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Yes, there's a switch on the transmission that activates the back-up lights in reverse. I'm told on some of the Allison tranny's, it relies on hydraulic pressure to turn on the lights (I'm not sure how true this is), but it seems mine don't work either .... Yes, I tested it with engine running, transmission in reverse (parking brake set, wheels chocked).
Thank you. Since they might rely on hydro pressure I will prolly just run the wire up to the switch board and tie it into an on off switch since it will most likely be a LOT cheaper. (and this will be more reliable IMO, and more convenient for me)

Thanks again Brad.
CStanley is offline   Reply With Quote