Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2018, 07:03 AM   #1

Year: 99
Engine: 7.3l
E450 fuel filter change 99powerstroke

What is the purpose of the black plastic box that is in my way and keeps me from being able to change my fuel filter?

Joman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joman View Post
What is the purpose of the black plastic box that is in my way and keeps me from being able to change my fuel filter?
It's probably there to scare you into taking it to a dealer. Just like those engine covers the Germans came up with. As a mechanic, I hear it all the time.... "I would give it a tune-up myself, but I don't even see the spark plug wires, so I will just let a pro do it." Remove two or 4 screws, and the cover comes off....and there are the spark plug wires!

I am still not completely familiar with all diesels and how they are set up. Got a picture? If it just bolts right off, don't let it scare you. Just move it....

And as they say, always disconnect the negative battery cable before working on your vehicle. Don't be this guy:

As for me, I'm lovin' my Cummings 5.9. Slow uphill, some stupid rubber gaskets that need replacing after 15-20 years, but easy easy easy enough to work on... fuel filter housing is right on top, and I change the filter with every oil change (about 3K miles). With a better tranny, I bet I could get 18 MPG on the flatlands' highway. Getting 9-11 average city/highway(@65 MPH) now, and even more on I80 crossing the continental divide and coming down into Nebraska with a strong tail-wind, with the 4-speed Allison with no lockdown converter. It aims for high-RPM horsepower, not pulling the torque out of the low-end. It drives so good now, I almost hate to change it, but maybe I would sell it used and put the $$$ towards the 6-speed Allison. They could even see it run in my bus before buying it....

But send us a picture anyway, so more people can learn about their buses.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #3

Year: 99
Engine: 7.3l
Thanks. I unclamped it and got it out of the way.Now I need to find what fuel filter will work with my cap.The cap has a screen built into it with a removable filter. Does anyone know which filter this is part #? And the cap part#? My cap does not have a part # on it.
Joman is offline   Reply With Quote