Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #1

Ford E450 6.0 Powerstroke - No Crank, No Start

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of an issue with my rig regarding starting. Here's what happened that I know of:

Over the summer I drove to PEI from my hometown (about 350 km) as the first medium distance test trip for my conversion. Right before I got there I experienced some weirdness with the transmission and the speedometer acting wonky. The ABS light had been on before this trip but I attributed it to something minor initially so I didn't bother troubleshooting

The bus has started, ran, and drove plenty of times in between then and now but yesterday I drove it and the speed sensor (which I figured was already semi-faulty) must have finally failed as the speedometer dropped to 0 and the transmission remained in first gear. This problem was confirmed by a code reader.

When I returned home, I parked the bus and thought nothing of it besides the fact that I'd have to replace the sensor and that would be the end of it. Now when I go to start it, all I hear is a "click" (normal sound). The engine does NOT turn over at all.

My dad hooked up some device I'm not familiar to the starter underneath which acts as a ignition and bypasses the starter relay. Using this method starts the engine successfully so the starter is fine as far as we know.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? Is it possible that the ABS light / speed sensor failure would cause the starter "circuit" to be interrupted?

Thank you in advance.

Jessie S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
The bus not cranking over is a different issue not related to your initial problem. Start with the basics like batteries, battery connections, starter connections, etc
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
The bus not cranking over is a different issue not related to your initial problem. Start with the basics like batteries, battery connections, starter connections, etc
Yeah, well it technically starts when you bypass the starter relay which is obviously a huge hack. To me this means the batteries are not an issue and the starter is not an issue (as far as I'm aware). I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this particular situation regarding the no crank.

I also just checked the starter connection and it's fine as well (I bypassed the yellow-blue stripe wire that feeds into the starter relay straight to the positive terminal on the battery).
Old 12-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Yo can put a meter on the solenoid's trigger side and see if its being energized, that would tell you if the solenoid is the cause of the issue or just a symptom. If it's not the solenoid, it'll surely be one of the safety lockouts, ie the sensors on windows, doors, and the neutral/park sensor on the transmission.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
If you can jump the solenoid and start it. Something is wrong with the control side of the starter circuit. Check any safety interlocks to make sure that none of them are open or faulty. Make sure it's in park, and if it is, try shifting it to neutral and see if it will start. If it still doesn't start, you'll then need to pull up some wiring diagrams and see where you lose power at be it the switch, relay, etc.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:17 PM   #6

Year: 2005
Chassis: E450
Engine: 6.0 L Diesel Ford
I’m having the same issues

Hello Jessi,

Did you guys ever figure out what was happening with your rig? I’m having the exact issues you were having when you wrote this post.
My batteries are good and charged, I have a brand new starter as well. I’ve double and triple checked that all my wires are connected/ no copper is exposed, but still can’t get the rig to turn over.

I also noticed that the last time I drove it, my speedometer didn’t work. I bought it from the Sonoma County school district and know it to be in really good shape. Why can’t I get this thing started?

Please help.!!!!!
ladymiss_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymiss_dee View Post
Hello Jessi,

Did you guys ever figure out what was happening with your rig? I’m having the exact issues you were having when you wrote this post.
My batteries are good and charged, I have a brand new starter as well. I’ve double and triple checked that all my wires are connected/ no copper is exposed, but still can’t get the rig to turn over.

I also noticed that the last time I drove it, my speedometer didn’t work. I bought it from the Sonoma County school district and know it to be in really good shape. Why can’t I get this thing started?

Please help.!!!!!
Hey, yeah it turns out the wiring to the fan clutch got chewed out by the fan at some point. Once this happens the computer will prevent the vehicle from turning on since the fan won't be able to cool down the engine/radiator. Once I replaced the fan clutch it worked again.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:21 PM   #8

Year: 2005
Chassis: E450
Engine: 6.0 L Diesel Ford
Thank you Jessi!
ladymiss_dee is offline   Reply With Quote