Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Fuel delivery issue?

I have an 1986 International bus with the 6.9L IDI motor.

Little over a month ago my bus started stalling after 10 or 15 minutes. Previous to this I drove it up from Connecticut without any issues and could idle it for a while to run the heat. Now it dies after a bit and won't start again until it sits for half an hour or so. There's no chugging, it just turns off immediately.

The primary fuel filter is half full after this happens and filling it up doesn't seem to do anything. The injector pump was replaced last year and I just did the fuel pump as at first I thought that was the issue. Checked all of the injector fittings and fuel line fittings and are tight and no leaks. Both fuel filters are new and the fuse for the injector pump as well as the wiring seems fine.

Battery is good and there's plenty of fuel in there. The next step was going to be draining the tank and seeing if there's anything in there causing an issue. Not sure what to look for though.

Does anybody have any other ideas as to what the cause could be?

ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
I have an 1986 International bus with the 6.9L IDI motor.

Little over a month ago my bus started stalling after 10 or 15 minutes. Previous to this I drove it up from Connecticut without any issues and could idle it for a while to run the heat. Now it dies after a bit and won't start again until it sits for half an hour or so. There's no chugging, it just turns off immediately.

The primary fuel filter is half full after this happens and filling it up doesn't seem to do anything. The injector pump was replaced last year and I just did the fuel pump as at first I thought that was the issue. Checked all of the injector fittings and fuel line fittings and are tight and no leaks. Both fuel filters are new and the fuse for the injector pump as well as the wiring seems fine.

Battery is good and there's plenty of fuel in there. The next step was going to be draining the tank and seeing if there's anything in there causing an issue. Not sure what to look for though.

Does anybody have any other ideas as to what the cause could be?
check the filler cap - if it's not venting, a vacuum develops in the tank and the motor starves - hope it's that simple for you
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
check the filler cap - if it's not venting, a vacuum develops in the tank and the motor starves - hope it's that simple for you
I tried taking the cap off and starting it to no avail.
ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
I tried taking the cap off and starting it to no avail.
some of the experts here will have some suggestions I'm sure
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
When it dies, and you wait an hour, how long do you crank before it will start again? My first step for you would be after it dies, unplug and then plug in the shut off solenoid to see if that is working. If it clacks while plugging it in that's a usually a good sign. They rarely go bad but it is possible.

Where did you get the injection pump from?

If the solenoid clicks, the next step would be to check for air bubbles in the fuel supply. You start to do this by installing nylon hose from the hardware store between the filter and the pump. If you find a steady stream of air bubbles you're sucking air in from somewhere.

You could be ingesting air but it's odd that it would take 15 minutes to do so.

The people at oilburners.net in the 6.9/7.3idi section will know more about your engine then anyone here.

https://www.oilburners.net/forums/6-...di-diesels.34/
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote