Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #1

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B700
Engine: Ford 6.6L
Lucas - Girling Drum Brake leak 1993 Ford B700

Okay, I need help. In August I replaced the passenger side rear drum and brake on our bus. It cost me $2000 in parts & labor, but our bus was safe. We drove it 1000 miles and parked it for a month. I just noticed that the driver side rear drum is now leaking....great.

I have to take it in for service, but my questions are:

1) It is my understanding that I have two separate braking systems for the front and rear. Even though the rear is leaking, will my front brakes still operate normally and safely?

2) Can I drive this thing 30 miles to a shop with just front brakes and the electric motor?

The reason I ask is because it's $1200 for a tow.

Thank you for any advice.

BrazilianFord1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

The front and rear are separate systems so operating with one side down is not recommended but is doable for short distances with low speeds.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I have the same problem... Could you plug the break line on the bad side and drive (slowly ofc) to a mechanic?
CStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
If it is just now noticeable then you can top off the fluid and take it easy going to a mechanic if your reservoir is less than 1/2 full because of it sitting then it is a big problem.
As mentioned there are solutions that you could do to get you to a repair shop but for safety wise are not recommended.
If it is just one brake caliper leaking then go get a flared plug that fits that size line, plug it fill your brake fluid reservoir up to its line and drive carefully strait to the closest mechanic.
On a brake system the front brakes do most of the work because you are in forward motion most of the time and at higher speeds than in reverse.
The back brakes are important and do at least 40% of the work.
When I do brakes at a minimum you should replace both fronts at the same and both backs at the same time. Not side verses side and the best practice is all 4 at the same time.
I know money decides what gets done? But run a bus into through a busy intersection because your brakes mucked up???
It will cost you,your insurance company and eventually every skoolie conversion trying to get insurance?
OH WAIT
It's already happening.
If you have tools and are willing/able/capable we might be able to help you change them yourself? Will need specific pics for specific question's and in the end you can say I did that myself!
But if it messes up you have no one else to blame.
Over my Years there are so many times that I have screwed up. But I learned from my screw ups. Hands on is the only way for me.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote