Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Here's an interesting tidbit... RockAuto does show two different cables for the diesel 1991 F350 vs the diesel 1991 E350... But interestingly enough, lengths are 42.5" vs 44.5", respectively, showing a longer cable for the E350, which may not be correct. Seems to me that a 2-inch difference would definitely cause this issue. So possibly part numbers have been transposed and created this problem?

RockAuto Part #s...

91 F350 - ATP Y290, Pioneer CA8459 (42.5")
91 E350 - ATP Y289, Pioneer CA8458 (44.5")

Maybe the correct cable is actually the same for both applications, and someone goofed up? I can see a longer cable being needed for F450-F850 commercial trucks, same chassis B-series Ford skoolies are built on.

Interestingly, I can't get an accelerator cable part number for these or a Navistar 3800 with the T444, same engine and basically the same chassis. I'm starting to think the E350 may take the same cable as the F350, and the longer cable is actually intended for the F450-F850 trucks. Food for thought...
^...Interesting detective work!
Another scenario that could "fit" the above: In some dimly lit Chinese factory that makes both cable variants, the longer cable got mis~packaged in the shorter "E" van packaging.
The longer cable is what sounds like Mary is dealing with at the moment.
Hopefully there is adjustment built in to the cable she has installed, otherwise only a jury rig or complete cable replacement is going to "fix" the issue...

peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:40 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
I believe the range was 1988-1994. I'm really unhappy with it as is; it's fine for getting around town but it's going to be awful on any longer trip. Just decelerating to let someone merge results in a drop down to 45 mph that's really hard to come back up from.
You need to know where they made the longer cable longer. If it's overall length is longer, then the longer one should work for both applications. If the changed the cable to sheath length numbers, then the correct part number would be needed. I would continue to decipher the issue and correct it if you're not comfortable with it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:44 PM   #63
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Another scenario that could "fit" the above: In some dimly lit Chinese factory that makes both cable variants, the longer cable got mis~packaged in the shorter "E" van packaging.
Except the shorter of the two is for the F-350. And different part numbers ARE listed for each respective application. I rather think the E350 is getting mistakenly lumped in with the heavier-duty chassis on which other skoolies are built, because there is, in fact, a bus variant.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:55 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Except the shorter of the two is for the F-350. And different part numbers ARE listed for each respective application. I rather think the E350 is getting mistakenly lumped in with the heavier-duty chassis on which other skoolies are built, because there is, in fact a bus variant.
I would have thought the opposite, since the engine sits further forward in the p/u, than in the van.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:06 PM   #65
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I would have thought the opposite, since the engine sits further forward in the p/u, than in the van.
And I would agree.The part numbers (unless incorrectly listed) do not, however. I thought that was odd, as well.

But if you take into account the fact that the cable runs through the firewall, then to the engine, it makes sense, depending on where the injection pump is located on the engine. Presumably the cable has to hook back around and run further back to get to the connecting point on the injection pump, because the engine sits further back on the E350. Perhaps it sits 2 inches further back from the accelerator, than the F350's mounting point sits forward of it. Or maybe that's backwards, which would explain Mary's predicament.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #66
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
The longer cable is what sounds like Mary is dealing with at the moment.
Hopefully there is adjustment built in to the cable she has installed, otherwise only a jury rig or complete cable replacement is going to "fix" the issue...
I thought about this when I was looking at the parts, but the problem is that every after market manufacturer lists the part for the E350 as 44.5", and the OEM part is also listed as 44.5." There are actually a few different parts numbers listed by Ford for mine but they are all 44.5" and the different numbers may just be the result of parts numbers changing over time. It's weird, though, because (unless this is just wrong in the catalog) Rock Auto has the other Ford parts numbers listed as "indirect cross interchange," and only the part made by ATP is listed as Direct cross. I might be misunderstanding this term, but I'm under the impression direct cross means it's been checked for direct compatibility with the original part, and indirect means it's been checked for compatibility against a competitor's version of the part. But if that's the case how could the Ford products be indirect? So maybe I'm wrong.

I wish I had the original cable to measure but I don't.

Also someone on Oilburners pointed out that the Ford parts all incorporate the part number of the cable's housing, too, so that seems to indicate they're basically the same cable
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #67
Bus Crazy

Are you back on the road now Mary, or still having cable issues?
Old 07-29-2019, 02:01 AM   #68
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Are you back on the road now Mary, or still having cable issues?
Hey there, the cable issues didn't take me off the road, just slowed me down a bit which was good for my fuel consumption, so I ended up adjusting it basically halfway, trying for the best of both worlds. I miss my rocketship but the additional 1.5 mpg is much appreciated.

Sorry I've been so absent lately, my Mom is having a health challenge and I got all focused on that. I opted for the zip tie fix method.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #69
Bus Crazy

Sorry to hear about your Mom. Family comes first, so don't feel badly about missing time here on the boards.

Best wishes to her and you, on the journey of life...